It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Bans Rice Exports July 2023

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It's funny that two weeks prior I stocked up on nearly one hundred pounds of rice as a precaution against the rumors of a BRICS gold backed reserve currency for launch in August. After some reading I don't think that will come to fruition this year at all. Moving on from there though, I clearly made a proper move.

Heavy rains and floods in India have decimated rice crops which has led to an export ban on non basmati rice in an effort to keep domestic prices stable. India is one of the top rice exporters in the world.

This means rice prices are likely to increase soon. Couple that with grain price increases due to reinstatement of the Black Sea embargo by Russia and it's looking like we are due for some more food inflation after the summer. Thankfully white rice stores well for an extended period. With my large family, and buying at lower prices we should have enough rice through the rest of the year even if we cook it everyday.

I wonder if this will also increase the prices at takeouts like for Chinese food and Southwest eating. They already mark up prices on what is typically one of the cheapest ingredients to buy. Maybe they will refrain and just eat the price increase of rice?? I hope so because I love eating Chipotle.

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Glad to know I can still get my basmati!

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Glad to know I can still get my basmati!

Sounds like it will be temporary if it is indeed weather related

www.agricultureinindia.net...

It is well known fact that rice seasons vary in different parts of India depending on rainfall, temperature, soil types, water availability and other climatic conditions. In eastern and southern regions of the country, the mean temperature remained favourable for rice cultivation throughout the year. Whereas, in northern and western parts of the country, where rainfall is high and winter temperature is fairly low, only one crop of rice is grown during the month from May to November.

In eastern and southern regions of the country, the mean temperature is found favourable for rice cultivation throughout the year. Hence, two or three crops of rice are grown in a year in eastern and southern states. In northern and western parts of the country, where rainfall is high and winter temperature is fairly low, only one crop of rice is grown during the month from May to November.

There are three seasons for growing rice in India viz.- autumn, winter and summer. These three seasons are named according to the season of harvest of the crop. Autumn rice is known as pre-kharif rice. The sowing of pre- kharif rice is taken up during May to August. However, the time of sowing slightly differs from state to state according to weather condition and rainfall pattern. It is harvested in September-October.

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

So glad I'm a devout Keto disciple. Changed my life by saving it.

We could end hunger and most diseases by simply eating right. My monthly food budget is $280 or less. I eat ONCE a day which cuts my expenses up to 60%!! I intermittently fast which shaves off another 5 to 10%.

We eat too much, too often and the portion sizes are ridiculous. A plate of food that could easily feed 3 or more is given as meal for a single individual! Add dessert and drinks, wash rinse repeat your entire life and you can kiss your butt goodbye to an early death from some horrific metabolic disease or diseases.

I'll probably never touch rice or pasta again unless it comes down to a matter of eating something verses nothing.

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 11:36 PM
link   
We still need to increase our stores of rice. I think right now we only have about ten pounds, that is not a lot of rice. We wee at maybe twenty pounds a year ago, but rice prices jumped up around here and we did not stock up believing that we will when the price goes back down.

posted on Jul, 30 2023 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
a reply to: worldstarcountry

So glad I'm a devout Keto disciple. Changed my life by saving it.

We could end hunger and most diseases by simply eating right.

I'll probably never touch rice or pasta again unless it comes down to a matter of eating something verses nothing.

I share your sentiment about eating right. But I may die early of sadness if I gave up rice & pasta. These are the foundations of my diet. More the rice than pasta. I spin so many flavorful lean meal combo bowls for most meals. Beans and rice, Rice and tuna , rice and eggs, rice and beef, rice and chicken plus ever variation and themes for each.

What do you eat, I'm not familiar with keto, although I am familiar with it being a diet program of some sort. I think I seen it in a Publix before??

posted on Jul, 30 2023 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I can't fault India for putting their nation and their people first.

Crappy situation though.

posted on Jul, 30 2023 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka
No yes for sure definitely not knocking their choices. It certainly is a crappy situation. I'm just throwing it out there as an informational, PSA type of thing. This is something that could affect all our budgets for the rest of the year, so it's nice to have the info and prepare accordingly.

posted on Jul, 30 2023 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I just realized the link I out to a duckduckgo search engine result crashed my browser, so it probably does not even show up for y'all. I will just pick a couple of sources and post them now.
NBC India's ban on rice export triggers panic buying across the U.S.
I stocked up my rice prior to this export ban under the assumption of a more catastrophic possibility. I don't really think the restrictions will really inflate the prices that much. Heck, pretty sure the USA produces most of our own rice anyways.

But if I can save anything then at least I'm saving. Plus with bombs falling every week now it seems on the national capital of one of the largest nuclear powers on Earth it's probably a good idea to be in a supply chain interruptions possibility type of mind set.

I can imagine that a nuclear power could only be so patient while a military alliance facilitates the bombing of its city on a now semi-regular basis . The embarrassment they must be feeling cannot be stemmed for much longer. Eventually they will reach a point where this patience runs out.

new topics

top topics

join