It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is bigger, Great white or tiger shark? Well… both?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   
No brainer, it’s the Great white, Right?

Longest and heaviest by almost all accounts.

Hundreds of Discovery/Nat Geo shows plus all the internet shark statistic websites say so… right?

Right?

I was watching a National Geographic show today “Sharks vs the World” at 16:38 it shows graphic saying Tiger Sharks are 24’

I KNOW that’s wrong so I search the web and sure enough they are all saying tiger sharks only reach 18’. Then I search largest tiger shark and largest great white and I find multiple sites that say:

Largest Tiger: 1957 Indochina 24’ 3" 3110 lbs. Link
Largest Great White length: 1983 Canada 20.3’ Link
Largest Great White weight: 2730 lbs: Link

Now there are stories of both up to 30 feet and stories of 7000 lb great whites. Deep blue estimated 21 feet.

Sooo… as of now:

The tiger is the biggest - biggest in recorded length, biggest in recorded weight.
The great white is the biggest in estimate - biggest in estimated weigh, but not length.

Am, I wrong? Love to be proven wrong and see the links to data below!

edit on 23-7-2023 by pianopraze because: Typos, added recorded.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

I have an agreement with sharks, stingrays, jellyfish, etc...

I don't go in their ocean and they don't come in my bathtub.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I grew up in NM in the 60s ... surfing and the Beach Boys were popular on the radio. All the cool kids at school had a leather shoelace tied around their ankle, strings hanging, we heard that surfers called it a 'shark guard'. So my daddy asked me one day, whats that dirty leather shoe string doing tied around your ankle. I said, Oh, that's my shark guard. He said, well there aren't any sharks around here! And I said, yeah Daddy! Its WORKING.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

I have an agreement with sharks, stingrays, jellyfish, etc...

I don't go in their ocean and they don't come in my bathtub.

I have the same Agreement .

Matter of Fact if the water is Dark and I cant touch the bottom I stay out.

'Also to the OP don't forget about the 'Great Hammerhead ' Shark , the Females can grow to 20ft or more.
edit on 23-7-2023 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
When you’re in the water and look into those cold, dead eyes, it doesn’t mater. I’ve been in the water with a tiger, but I would not get in the water with a white.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I had a rather uncomfortable encounter with a smaller Tiger shark, probably 10 footer, while i was scuba diving and spear fishing off the coat of the Big Island. Weird how a bag of bleeding dying fish will attract sharks so fast, right?

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   
All that matters is which species will kill you

Anything over 4-5 feet is potentially lethal in certain situations, most divers are more worried about bull sharks, still Whites, Tigers, Oceanic, Hammerheads Makos, and Blues have all been known to attack humans

Here are just the tagged sharks on the eastern seaboard and Gulf Coast. It's estimated for one tagged there are 5-10 of the large predator sharks in the area. Not sure why the west coast isn't showing up. checking on that perhaps it's too discourage both commercial and recreational shark fishing

and if that isn't enough to keep you in the pool

nypost.com... aine-sharks-may-be-feasting-on-drugs-dumped-off-florida-coast/

Sharks lurking off of Florida’s coast may be eating bundles of coc aine dumped in the ocean by US-bound drug smugglers — and scientists want to find out.

With the massive amounts of drugs washing up on beaches and being pulled out of the ocean by authorities each year, marine biologist Tom Hird wanted to investigate whether or not sharks had ingested coc aine as part of a new TV series “Cocaine Sharks” — which will premiere during Discovery Channel’s beloved “Shark Week” next week.

In the program, Hird and University of Florida environmental scientist Tracy Fanara conduct a number of experiments on sharks off the Florida Keys, where fishermen have reportedly told tales about drug-addicted fish.

“The deeper story here is the way that chemicals, pharmaceuticals and illicit drugs are entering our waterways — entering our oceans — and what effect that they then could go on to have on these delicate ocean ecosystems,” Hird told Live Science.

www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu...

www.ocearch.org...

NSFW GRAPHIC TIGER SHARKS ATTACKS AND KILLS MAN

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 03:16 PM
link   
They ate animals so projected weight and all that versus caught and killed are other status data. Bull sharks and tiger sharks are known to be more or less lethal in shallow waters. Great whites are known to be the apex predator of the sea. The effed part about sharks is homing on on their temporment, just hungry, just staving off trespassing or being really wild assholes? No one knows

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode where the kid says this was the worst day of his life, so her says, "You mean the worst day of your life so far." No matter what has been caught and measured, there is likely a bigger one down there somewhere.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Back in the 80's, I was body surfing in a remote beach. Pacific Ocean. Afternoon. The sunlight through the wave revealed the shape of a shark, bigger than me. Just few meters away.
A shark is a shark. He knows you are food. That's when you don't care the type of shark it is.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I was swimming at Daytona beach and was amazed at how far out I was at some point a guy on a ATV with his bullhorn jumping off his steed and jumping up and down all excited like! As I swam closer to shore I could hear him say " Get Out Of The Water ~ Shark Thought those were Dolphins! 🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈😫😩

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I dunno which one is bigger, but I do know we had about a 15-16 foot Tiger swim up under our 24' CC sportfish off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale once and just hung out there for about 30 minutes. Not sure what it was doing, but it just hung out in the shadow of our boat. Didn't do anything aggressive, but it was the biggest F'ing shark I've ever encountered in my life...(and there are not enough expletives in the English language (or any other language) to describe what was being uttered on deck that day!!). That damn shark looked almost as big as the boat, and he was right up under the boat too. We could feel it bump into the bottom of the boat in the swells! We were afraid to move the boat for fear of the prop hitting the shark, so we just had to sit there...and wait to be eaten!

Biggest freaking fish I've ever seen in my life! And they're not called "Tiger" sharks without reason either; they have grey-black stripes and blotches all over the top side of them. The other thing I remember was how I kept thinking it was a "fat" shark. Tiger sharks are really stocky blunt looking sharks; they don't look like a regular shark (not to me anyway). We were drifting in the swells and wind, and periodically he'd drift out from under the boat (usually at the stern), and we'd see this huge tail. Then he'd swim back up under the boat again and just sit there. It was freaky as hell! My only guess was he was using the boat either for shade, or as some kind of a disguise to hide himself from whatever he was hunting.

I don't care to ever repeat that experience; it was pretty unnerving.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

As a professional diver who has dove around several species of shark. It’s the oceanic white tip I worry about. Bull sharks are pests. Tiggers if you’re on the bottom are curious but not particularly aggressive. Those I know who have been in the water with white shark say they’re fairly unaggressive. Hammerheads don’t do squat. Sand tigers are like big dogs. Sharks in general are not a problem.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Thunderkiss75

I would’ve pulled my diving knife and cut your thigh 😈 if you were swimming near me mwahahahaha I’m just kidding.

new topics

top topics

join