It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy in the Foundation of Buddhism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 03:40 AM
link   
conspiracy: a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful. - Oxford Languages

This essay is about a positive conspiracy attempting to circumvent the unwritten law of elites throughout time, from the time of the Buddha forward.

This is an extremely speculative essay, and is just my subjective opinion.

Some Buddhist prophecies claim Maitreya Buddha will appear after 2,500 years, by which time the teaching of the Buddha will no longer be practiced. Buddhism was founded 2,500 years ago. It is my opinion that when Maitreya appears, he will reveal that Buddha's teachings had to be veiled in so much obscurity that almost no one "got it", because if it had been made obvious early on elites would have invaded the teaching, and almost would become no one. From this standpoint, the teaching has never been practiced, so it no longer is practiced.

I recently read the Gateless Gate, a collection of Zen koans, and in most of the koans I found a metaphor for that when it is realized there is nothing in the way, the mind settles, and the peace that passes understanding sets in. There is nothing to earn, achieve, or do, except experience the present moment undistracted by thinking. The "Gateless Gate" is this nothing.

Case 6 from the Gateless Gate is about the original Buddha:

Once upon a time when Shakyamuni Buddha was in Grdhrakuta mountain, he twirled a flower in his finger and held it before his congregation. Everyone was silent. Only Maha Kashapa wholeheartedly smiled. Buddha said, "I have the eye of the true teaching, the heart of Nirvana, the formless form, the mysterious gate of Dharma. Beyond the words and beyond all teachings to be transmitted, I now pass this on to Maha Kashapa."

It fits the pattern of the koans that Kashyapa found perfection in the silent gesture of the flower. A more common appreciation of the flower is of its beauty, which is motivated by love of the object.

I consider the symbolism that most of Buddha's close (disciplined) disciples understood the silence aspect of the teaching, or do by modern times, but only Kashapa reacted with simple, unconditional love.

Buddhism is not really considered rooted in Kabbalah in any way, shape, or form, but it is interesting to me that Case 6 corresponds to the Sphere of the Sun as the heart on the Tree of Life.

Buddhism teaches the transcendence of desire, emotional suffering, aggression, and arrogance: all of these things are inhibited by love. The simplest state love can exist in within the psyche may overcome all of these things entirely.

In the Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra, Buddha claims to have introduced the true teaching of no-self to inhibit pride, and that this teaching was incomplete. There is at least one instance wherein object-attached love is condemned, but throughout the Sutra loving-kidness (for example) is encouraged, and the Buddha and the Bodhisattva identified by the Sutra possess the compassion for all beings as if they were all their own firstborn son.

If we cannot be rid of pride, and maybe such would cause problems, I consider the best bet to minimize its influence on the psyche by using meditation to decrease its size, and to induce it to identify unconditional security (fearlessness). The heart will grow much quicker if all attachments are surrendered to a simple love of the whole, which motivates compassion for all sentient beings without entrapping one's heart and psyche to their fate. This is the transcendence of sorrow, because it is not possible to lose the whole.

Case 32 from the Gateless Gate:

A non-Buddhist philosopher said to the Buddha, "I do not ask for words; I don not ask for non-words."

The Buddha just sat there.

The philosopher said admiringly, "The World-honored One, with his great mercy, has blown away the clouds of my illusion and enabled me to enter the Way."

And after making bows, he took his leave.

Then Ananda asked the Buddha, "What did he realize, to admire you so much?"

The world-honored one replied, "A fine horse runs even at the shadow of the whip."

This is another instance wherein one might assume the philosopher attained inner peace, and perhaps he did. I believe this inner peace is the shadow of the whip, and the fine horse symbolizes how this achievement is actually not much better than being an animal. Animals don't have an internal verbal dialogue, they exist in a just be state.

The whip could symbolize actual Nirvana, a secret not revealed.

If silence/nothingness was the point, there was no reason for the koan to have continued past the non-Buddhist taking his leave.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: WalkingHolic

Hi HalkingWolic,

Am not good with understanding koans, and such.

In my view : a flower is wonderous, as it grows, in it's natural state.

The human ego, wanting to possess, plucks this living thing to hold, thusly killing it.

While there may be opportunities to glimpse beauty in death, am not sure about any of it.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Buddha was born a prince but left those riches to find enlightenment where he supposedly suffered in poverty, however back then and even to this day Buddhist monks are supported by others named lay people or Buddhist practitioners who donate food to them during the monks' daily Round of Alms.

My point in providing that information is I wonder how many people would seek their own particular path of enlightenment if food and shelter were provided for free, then living in the moment would be achievable.

Could this lack of financial and personal freedom actually be the dark shadow of the whip most of us have to bear/suffer?

Alternatively, being a fine horse under the dark shadow of the whip (lack of financial and personal freedom) enduring trials and tribulations is perhaps another path to enlightenment?
edit on q00000049731America/Chicago3030America/Chicago7 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Considering flowers are the sexual organs of plants, I always found it a tad bit pervert to bring them as presents and get all extatic when we take a good whiff.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by WalkingHolic
Case 6 from the Gateless Gate is about the original Buddha:

Once upon a time when Shakyamuni Buddha was in Grdhrakuta mountain, he twirled a flower in his finger and held it before his congregation. Everyone was silent. Only Maha Kashapa wholeheartedly smiled. Buddha said, "I have the eye of the true teaching, the heart of Nirvana, the formless form, the mysterious gate of Dharma. Beyond the words and beyond all teachings to be transmitted, I now pass this on to Maha Kashapa."

It fits the pattern of the koans that Kashyapa found perfection in the silent gesture of the flower. A more common appreciation of the flower is of its beauty, which is motivated by love of the object.

I consider the symbolism that most of Buddha's close (disciplined) disciples understood the silence aspect of the teaching, or do by modern times, but only Kashapa reacted with simple, unconditional love.

Buddhism is not really considered rooted in Kabbalah in any way, shape, or form, but it is interesting to me that Case 6 corresponds to the Sphere of the Sun as the heart on the Tree of Life.

This all reminds of the Rosicrucian use of the Rose and Cross symbol; the Rosicrucian's originally used a hieroglyphic rose…most likely a lotus flower (also a prevalent symbol is Hinduism) which was commonly depicted in Egyptian Hieroglyphs and represented the Sun and creation.

According to various texts and sources the rose is symbolic of the beauty and un-foldment of the Human Soul. The Rose having 10 petals is also a subtle connection to the “Tree of Life” in Kabbalah with it’s 10 Sefirot etc...

Later the “hieroglyphic rose” evolved into a Red Rose. In some sources the Red color is meant to represent the Blood of Christ, although the “blood” in truth is a further symbolic representation for the Spirit. The Red Rose is also said to represent qualities of the heart, such as Love and Compassion…

Originally posted by WalkingHolic

The world-honored one replied, "A fine horse runs even at the shadow of the whip."

This is another instance wherein one might assume the philosopher attained inner peace, and perhaps he did. I believe this inner peace is the shadow of the whip, and the fine horse symbolizes how this achievement is actually not much better than being an animal. Animals don't have an internal verbal dialogue, they exist in a just be state.

The whip could symbolize actual Nirvana, a secret not revealed.

Maybe I’m over simplifying this a little, but to me the Key word is “runs”…

In the Gospel of Thomas verse 50 it states that the sign that the Father/Spirit is within you…can be identified as “movement and rest”…

Gospel of Thomas Verse 50
Jesus said: If they say to you: Whence have you come?, say to them: We have come from the light, the place where the light came into being of itself. It [established itself], and it revealed itself in their image. If they say to you: Who are you?, say: We are his sons, and we are the elect of the living Father. If they ask you: What is the sign of your Father in you?, say to them: It is movement and rest.

The horse “runs” - has it’s movement (life/Spirit) even at the shadow of the whip…in other words, it doesn’t need a whip to make itself move…because the living spirit within is what moves the horse…

S+F

- JC

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Hi HalkingWolic,

Am not good with understanding koans, and such.

In my view : a flower is wonderous, as it grows, in it's natural state.

The human ego, wanting to possess, plucks this living thing to hold, thusly killing it.

While there may be opportunities to glimpse beauty in death, am not sure about any of it.

They really like it when you talk to them.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: WalkingHolic
A non-Buddhist philosopher said to the Buddha, "I do not ask for words; I don not ask for non-words."

The Buddha just sat there.

The philosopher said admiringly, "The World-honored One, with his great mercy, has blown away the clouds of my illusion and enabled me to enter the Way."

And after making bows, he took his leave.

I would like to offer another interpretation of this quote.

In it's literal sense; if you hit a fine horse with a whip, all you need to do in the future is show it the shadow of the whip and it will run, not wanting to feel the whip again. With this said, a fine horse is one you do not need to beat again and again to get it to run; the memory of the whip is enough.

The philosopher saw the destination and the path laid before him. No words were needed, because he realized Buddha was the destination, the "whip," if you will. Knowing the philosopher would leave with the memory of the "whip" always in mind, Buddha said, ""A fine horse runs even at the shadow of the whip."

Philosophically speaking; Men who are always aware and heedful of their spiritual destination, will eventually get closer to it, no matter which path they take.

top topics

join