It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland expects new volcano after 4700 earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Iceland Review

Currently, the eruption is expected to take place in the area between the mountains Keilir and Fagradalsfjall.

Experts have also speculated that Reykjanesbraut, the main road connecting Reykjavík and Keflavík International Airport, could be threatened given the right circumstances. In a statement to Vísir, volcanologist Þorvaldur Þórðarson said: “The current seismic activity is located north of the 2022 volcanic fissure, and if the fissure opens to the north, then this will be towards the shield volcano known as Þráinsskjöldur. It is possible that the lava would then run down to the coast, across Reykjanesbraut.

Since significant seismic activity on Reykjanes resumed on July 4, some 4,700 quakes have been recorded. The largest quake so far recorded, M4.8, occurred yesterday morning, July 5. Additionally, 13 earthquakes above M4 have been recorded, with a slight decrease in seismic activity since last night.

Since July 4 4700 earthquakes have rocked Iceland. Some up to magnitude 4.8.

I grew up in Alaska, we had frequent earthquakes, some worse, but this is incredible.

The shield is uplifting and they expect a new volcano to be created.

I hope we get video like we’ve been getting on the Hawaii eruptions for the last few years.

Love the YouTube channels documenting them. Better than any of the "science" Chanel’s on tv now that only produce a few science shows a year. Even those, like Shark week shows are becoming incredibly diluted of any true science.

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Interesting ! Will keep an eye on this ! Thanks for sharing .

posted on Jul, 8 2023 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

I hope we get video like we’ve been getting on the Hawaii eruptions for the last few years.

Love the YouTube channels documenting them. Better than any of the "science" Chanel’s on tv now that only produce a few science shows a year. Even those, like Shark week shows are becoming incredibly diluted of any true science.

The last eruptions in the Reykjanes area in 2021/22 were really beautiful, especially since they did not do any real damage to people and property. I think the coverage done by Icelandic media was much better than the Hawaii eruptions and they had a number of close camera sites on the surrounding mountains and also great helicopter coverage as well.

The authorities actually let people get a bit too close to the 2021 eruption, and that will probably not be the case this time. The area where the volcano is expected to erupt is really off the beaten path and may not be as accessible as the the others.

The iceland Geological Society also offered all of the seismic data and maps to the public allowing everyone to share in the new discoveries and prediction charts. This was great for those that followed it those 2 years and wanted to get involved in the science. I am sure they will do this again.

Iceland sure had a windfall tourist trade in the last eruption and many of the hotels were full for a while. While this eruption may not be as accessible, I may want to go there anyway because it is just such a beautiful environment.

Addend: Here is the Jeroen feed that has links to everything you need to study this volcano. Volcano In Iceland

edit on 8-7-2023 by charlyv because: sp

edit on 8-7-2023 by charlyv because: content

posted on Jul, 10 2023 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The Eruption is ON !

The lava is breaking ground. This is the first fissure opening

New Fissure
edit on 10-7-2023 by charlyv because: sp

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The eruption is now 10 times bigger than 2021. It is just phenomenal. T

The sun low in the sky and the gas clouds in front of the huge caldera spewing jets high in the air... it is a photographers dream. The place is getting dangerous as far as gas, and they want everyone off the sand plains. The drone shots are just unbelievable as well.

Not much coverage by the MSM. Who needs them.

Incredible scene
edit on 11-7-2023 by charlyv because: content

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Better than a lava lamp. I want the livestream to hold the current shot because I want to see how much it grows in few hours.

One of the few times you can watch a mountain grow.
edit on 11-7-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join