It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power of Personal Testimony in Christianity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Testmonies are one of the most powerful things in Christianity because it shows how faith in Jesus Christ transformed your life. It also shows why we have a personal relationship with God through Faith in Jesus Christ.

When you debate atheist and materialist, the first thing they will try to do is nullify personal experience. They will say personal experience doesn't count. Of course it does.

Humans build personal relationships through personal experiences which transcend space and time. Physicist Erwin Schrodinger said this:

“I shall quite briefly mention here the notorious atheism of science. The theists reproach it for this again and again. Unjustly. A personal God can not be encountered in a world picture that becomes accessible only at the price that everything personal is excluded from it. We know that whenever God is experienced, it is an experience exactly as real as a direct sense impression, as real as one’s own personality. As such He must be missing from the space-time picture. ‘I do not meet with God in space and time’, so says the honest scientific thinker...."

So they try to remove personal experience but they can't because we all have personal relationships built on personal experience. So an atheist would be lying if they say they don't know how personal relationships work.

It would be like saying prove to me through science that your Mother loves you or your Father loves you. You don't know this through the laws of logic or the scientific method. You know this through personal experience. The talks you have with your Mom, the way she says I love you, the times you went on vacation when you were little and how she still calls to check on you when you're older.

These are things that lead you to believe your Mother loves you and you know this based on personal experiences that you can't prove because they're personal.

We can show through science and logic why God exists but that's secondary. The most powerful evidence of the existence of God is testimony and our personal relationship with God through our faith in Jesus Christ which allows us to receive the Holy Spirit.

The Bible tells us Jesus is the Image of the invisible God. It also says:

Hebrews 1:3 “Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;”

What is God's Person?

His Person is the invisible attributes of God. He's loving, forgiving, merciful, all knowing and Creates the universe. So God's Person manifests in the Person of Jesus Christ when He walked the earth. This is why the Bible says the fulness of the Godhead dwelt in Jesus.

We're a microcosm of the Godhead. We have a person. These are invisible attributes that manifests through our image(body) and our voice(words). These can be laziness, kindness, trustworthy, a hard worker, a good Mother, a good Father. These things make up your person.

So God isn't an abstract concept but He has a Person therefore we have a personal relationship with God through Faith in Jesus Christ. Here's a few personal testimonies.

Feared Cartel Gang Member Gives His Life to Christ

Feared Gang Member Leads 200 to Christ

FROM STRIPPING TO SAVED | testimony on overcoming mental illness, trauma, addiction, homosexuality

Everyone knows that a personal relationship is built on personal experiences. So the best way to know God is to seek a personal relationship with Him through Faith in Jesus Christ.

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   

testimony on overcoming mental illness, trauma, addiction, homosexuality

Many people would take exception to the adding of homosexuality to that list.

Not everyone can be painted with one brush of experiences with personal relationships. Each person's life relationship experiences vary greatly and some relationships are damaging and toxic so nothing positive will be realized in those instances.

Giving oneself to follow Jesus' teachings should not be born from a need for a personal relationship because previous relationships of one's life's experiences were negative. To me that is giving false hope to the hopeless. Rather these types of people need counselling for permanent life changes, not a religious rope to grasp onto to keep them afloat.

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
They will say personal experience doesn't count. Of course it does.

I would say it doesn't count towards evidence of your specific God or his existence. Look at all the beliefs out there. Each with faithful devotees, with powerful experiences and relationships of their own. As real and true to them, as yours may be to you. So what do you say to that? Can you disprove them?

edit on 7-6-2023 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
Rather these types of people need counselling for permanent life changes, not a religious rope to grasp onto to keep them afloat.

Reminds me of when I tried Alcoholics Anonymous.

The literature felt very much like a Bible. Just swap out the word sin, for alcohol.

In AA, you're helpless against alcohol unless you have a "higher power", and while it can be anyone (or thing) of your choosing, it's very clearly Christian leaning. Since I was not looking for Sunday School lessons, I stopped going. I didn't go back to drinking either (another thing they imply you will do if you ever leave the program).

edit on 7-6-2023 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Religion is a very good career choice for charismatic people; you don't even have to be a 'child of God' to amass enormous wealth and followers.

They seem to be able to use an energy we all have, yet they possess in abundance to convince others of their 'closeness' to God and that they have magically tapped into all the answers others seek.

Sometimes they get caught, like Jim and Tammy.

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Christianity isn’t just a personal relationship with Jesus
It’s also a personal loving relationship in a church community with people to love and support
Yes, the church community often fails
Many people, many Christians don’t understand the importance of the role they are given by God and their duty to be Jesus to the world

Testimony is important, not as important as loving and serving, the Christians existential living into the world

No sin is conquered instantly, it’s a journey, a progress with many trials

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 07:47 PM
link   
An atheist will only see your personal relationship with G_d as a dissociative identity disorder. Your video's not much different from the following video when judge recognizes a felon from middle school. Arthur Booth shared latter in articles the the Judges remarks were instrumental in turning his life around. He is now a successful manager of a pharmaceutical company in Florida.

So we all have the power to change. If we do that through Jesus or not, does not prove that G_d exists. If G_d wishes to be known by an atheist. G_d will make it so. He did so with me.

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

originally posted by: neoholographic
They will say personal experience doesn't count. Of course it does.

I would say it doesn't count towards evidence of your specific God or his existence. Look at all the beliefs out there. Each with faithful devotees, with powerful experiences and relationships of their own. As real and true to them, as yours may be to you. So what do you say to that? Can you disprove them?

the power of personal testimony in vaccine technology

same faith, same blasphemy

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   
We can show through science and logic why God exists but that's secondary. The most powerful evidence of the existence of God is testimony and our personal relationship with God through our faith in Jesus Christ which allows us to receive the Holy Spirit.

It's funny isnt it that if those Hebrew scribes all them years ago hadn't wrote about the family of Abraham there would be no written evidence of a God certainly the God of Abraham. Interested though how science proves God exists! Please enlighten us all.

posted on Jul, 7 2023 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

originally posted by: quintessentone
Rather these types of people need counselling for permanent life changes, not a religious rope to grasp onto to keep them afloat.

Reminds me of when I tried Alcoholics Anonymous.

The literature felt very much like a Bible. Just swap out the word sin, for alcohol.

In AA, you're helpless against alcohol unless you have a "higher power", and while it can be anyone (or thing) of your choosing, it's very clearly Christian leaning. Since I was not looking for Sunday School lessons, I stopped going. I didn't go back to drinking either (another thing they imply you will do if you ever leave the program).

Little do they tell you the higher power is you.

posted on Jul, 12 2023 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Science studied rats once.

In an empty cage with two sources for water, one just plain water, one added with coc aine the rats easily became addicted to the coc aine.

In a cage with lots of toys and accomodation for rats the rats drank the normal water.

When there's nothing in your life bad things happen. Integrate.

posted on Jul, 12 2023 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

One could say the atheist has no god, if so, how can he know anything about it.

posted on Jul, 12 2023 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Untun

There was/is plenty of good going on in my life. I nevertheless made poor choices.

I'm responsible for my choices, and accountable to myself and those around me. Some people need a higher power to hold them responsible. I don't need the crutch of a God for that.

There are some that do though, or are religious for other/more reasons. If that's what works for them, that's fine with me.

One could say the atheist has no god, if so, how can he know anything about it.

Many atheists are former theists.

It's not as if they are all ill informed or inexperienced on the subject.

Just my thoughts.

edit on 7-12-2023 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2023 @ 09:07 PM
link   

"One could say the atheist has no god, if so, how can he know anything about it."

How can he not. If G_d is the alpha and omega. We all be swimming in G_d. So labels of definition (aka GOD) are labels of limitations on that which is everything.

posted on Jul, 12 2023 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Former theist atheism:

I once had a God living for eternity that died.

Do you see the contradiction.

posted on Jul, 12 2023 @ 11:20 PM
link   

There is no contradiction. More like,

I once believed I had a God living for eternity that died, but I no longer believe that.

edit on 7-12-2023 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Is see it more like, I've never known a god and now I'd even argue there is none.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Pretty much

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 03:14 AM
link   

God or no God, it's good to wish people the best.

new topics

top topics

join