It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enslaved Icelander Describes Horror of Barbary Pirate Raid (1627) // Diary of Ólafur Egilsson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This needs to be heard more. Just search for 'Barbary slave trade' , maybe not on google, but some honest search engine.
I found multiple articles at least:

Historic.uk.com article

Very upsetting to listen to. They took his 11 year old son (brutally) and I assume he never saw him again
I didn't watch much past that. Too depressing
I know it happened centuries ago, but the fact that MSM never mentions it , only African American slaves are ever mentioned.

edit on 2-7-2023 by ancientlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Very interesting. Im Icelandic and there was a-lot of information i didn't know, thank you for posting this

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

I used Google and got plenty of decent results, it's a reasonably well documented part of history.

Looking back at my school years we didn't learn much about history that was irrelevant to our own culture (UK) so things like slave trading or Africa in general weren't really taught, we didn't learn much about empire either. In RE we learnt a bit about Islam but only bits that were relative to religion.

Would the capture of European slaves be all that relevant to US education? I can understand the sensitivities of teaching kids after 9/11 that the Barbary slave trade existed due to religion. A Muslim can't be enslaved... A choice was given, convert or accept your fate.

But yeah you only ever going to be taught the basics at school, things that are somewhat relevant and there's obviously a "whitewash* applied to what is taught. For instance I was taught a lot about the Tudors especially Henry VIII, even taught about his adoption of a new church and naval tactics from overseas which was the birth of English to British Naval prowess. They didn't teach much about the abolition of the Catholic church and they definitely didn't teach us how the French kept kicking our arses at sea... Why would they have mentioned slave raids on British coasts by Barbary pirates?

I mean we learned about the Nazis too but a separation was emphasized between the state and the people, we learned extensively about individuals living under Nazi rule to drive the points home. Didn't learn a thing about things like Allied raids on Dresden or how many French were killed via Allied bombing. It's not about covering up history but about giving quality insights to highly impressionable minds.

I dunno about the US but education is usually for stimulating the mind not the heart, the news is the opposite I'd imagine. Idk, maybe it would be good for US MSM to talk about Barbary pirates, I mean it's really old news and not exactly relevant to the US (except them couple of times you attacked them
) although I'd imagine that whole "white people were slaves too!" malarkey would go down a treat with the masses. It wasn't about race though, it was about religion. Still a nice can if worms though...

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Google the siege of Algiers. In 1816 (just over 200 years ago) the southern English and Irish fishing fleets refused to got to sea because of the Algerian barbery pirates. These pirates use to land on the English and Irish South Coast they would capture the occupants of nearby villages and take them back to slave markets in North Africa. It got that bad that the King ordered the navy to bombard Algiers and stop the slave business. Over 3000 Christian slaves were freed. Funny its not talked about!
edit on 3-7-2023 by redchad because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 06:24 AM
link   

What's more upsetting is an estimated 40 million slaves today here on planet earth, 20 million of them sex slaves.

How many of those 20 million sex slaves are children I wonder and who's paying for their services?

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Scro, that was a hell of an account of true history.

I enjoy7ed the whole thing and suggest you do as well.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: redchad
Google the siege of Algiers. In 1816 (just over 200 years ago) the southern English and Irish fishing fleets refused to got to sea because of the Algerian barbery pirates. These pirates use to land on the English and Irish South Coast they would capture the occupants of nearby villages and take them back to slave markets in North Africa. It got that bad that the King ordered the navy to bombard Algiers and stop the slave business. Over 3000 Christian slaves were freed. Funny its not talked about!
I did not know of this , good to know

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cwantas

What's more upsetting is an estimated 40 million slaves today here on planet earth, 20 million of them sex slaves.

How many of those 20 million sex slaves are children I wonder and who's paying for their services?

I know , but yet still MSM solely focus on one type of slavery in the US

new topics

top topics

join