It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chasing The Sour Toe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 10:14 PM
link   
That’s right, I’m gonna do it again and I know what you will be thinking, that what I’m about to do is crazy and impossible, and scream.

‘’But it’s a completely different world now!!’’, and you would be half correct.

So then to prove everyone wrong, I’m doing it again. I’m going to hitchhike from Toronto Ontario, all the way to Dawson City, Yukon Territory.

‘’But it’s a different world now’’!!! See?

Well that is exactly what they said back in ‘96 when, after walking into a pub, and locking eyes with the woman I would later marry, just simply asked if I wanted to go? and I said where? Anywhere. Now I also thought there was a little Jack Kerouac inside me, and that very night, it was love at first sight, so I packed my bags, walked away from a bank job and at 19 yrs old we hit the road. Toronto to Vancouver and back(5 week trip). Out of that, 1 daughter and a 5 yr marriage/relationship, but you don’t marry the girl from the pub. Oh, NO!!

Fast Forward 10yrs, again I walked into a room, it was full of alcoholics too, but nobody was drinking this time, and there was this girl, and it was love at first sight(this time for real tho, right?) and 3 months later we packed our bags, and hit the road(me and my big mouth). This time it had to be better than the first. I pleaded and I cautioned, this not for the faint of heart, and frankly a pain in the @ss. BUT Liberty through hardship is one heck of feeling. The road is magical, but you can't just change your mind and turn back, you will still only be halfway there anyway so ya might as well keep going. But if I was gonna do it again, it had to be better than the first, and it was.

Yet again I heard ‘’But its not the same world!!’’

In 2006? OK then!! So we went from Toronto all the way across the TransCanada, and up into Dawson City, Yukon Territory. I know where I was and when, it was 23 AUG 2006. I found myself standing in a Saloon(this whole town hit pause in Klondike, gold rush era buildings). They try to preserve the original stuff as much as possible. I know it was the 23rd Aug because that was my mother's B-day. The Saloon was Diamond Tooth Gerties, and I was in line for a drink, but not just any drink, it was The Sour Toe(better look it up yourself, but hold your stomach and don’t say I didn’t warn ya). It was my mom’s birthday and I already knew where I was sending the photographic proof, and the certificate(you get those when you have earned it), back to my mother with the simple words “Hey ma, the drink is for me, but the kiss is for you, Happy Birthday’’. Again, look it up, I’m not trying to be difficult, just T/C’s maybe?
I was ready, I was pumped, I had the best idea on the best day. Turns out I was sickened by the guy in front of me, he was pretty hard-core about the whole affair,and it was a big fat NOPE in my mind. I chickened out.

So off we went, back down into B.C, then over to Alberta and stayed a while. Then back up into YellowKnife, NWT. I was a bartender for a year, up there. We ended up living out of our rucksacks, somewhere between 7-9 months total, and life between the 2 Territories and Alberta, grew to be a 3 year trip. Also an 8 year realationship. I now had done 25,000km total hitchhiking between the 2 girls, and those two trips. The second girl had to cheat a bit and needed a bus. Wasn’t her fault, I had to leave her behind. I had to do it, something about some french girl, love at first sight, and a straight shot into the Yukon. Not proud of myself, but the heart has to be followed doesn’t it?

So I told you, I know what you are thinking ‘’It’s 2023, it’s not the same world anymore!!”

Now both girls know what I’m gonna do and say ‘’That's crazy, it’s not the same world anymore!!’’ But they didn’t dare say impossible. They used to claim that I couldn’t do it without them, they don't dare say that either. You all would be half right. It is 2023 and it is crazy.

It isn’t the same world anymore either. Dare I say it may be a little better, at least in one way.

After the lock down’s, my theory is that people will understand the spirit involved in this final adventure, that this comes from deep inside my heart. This story was written long ago. I knew at 17 when I was handed a copy of On the Road by Jack Kerouac. The first trip, I knew I would do it a bit better the next time, if there ever was one.The second time I knew I would have to do it again, just one more time but better. I don’t WANT to do this, I HAVE to do this.

With both girls now saying ‘’you are crazy'', and at least one still claiming ''I couldn’t do it without them''. I say, well…..you are half right.

Now my mouth has written a cheque, that my a$$ has got to cash. People are waiting for the final chapter of this story. It was part of the deal. I hope it ends with…..So this guy walks into a bar, something about a french girl and love at first sight, and me raising my hand…..

‘’Barkeep!!! The Sour Toe please’’ See, I will still get the drink, but ma will never get that kiss.

She died 3 months after finally getting home. I had a bad feeling and had to return to Ontario, the heart knows, what the heart knows. I was right. Mom’s are the original love at first sight, though different , mom’s are OG’s in that regard. Her liver would fail 3 months later.

She would want me to have that drink, and find a little french girl, and even a toe to kiss.

So I’m calling all hippies, rebels, outlaws, nomads, gypsies, those that don’t belong and dont care.The @’s(you know who you are), the free spirits, the wandering, the lost, the found. Hell even you communists. Every one of you, tired of a life that doesn't feel as alive, and free as it should be. Tell me your stories of where to go, all along Canada till I get to take the shot, Topshelf, left post and bar down. Hockey reference, but really Dawson City’s position on that map, and bit of a play on words as well.

So I want suggestions of things that I should check out if I can? This is definitely my last trip, it will settle something inside, and make me a legend in my own mind. My first idea for a sign to use when I get myself north of Toronto(so basically the first step, the hardest) and I want all of your ideas for signs to make along the way? Give me some gems here pls?

My first sign is gonna be “Forgot my charger in Dawson City, Yukon’’

What do you all think? Crazy? Impossible?A different world in 2023? Just remember…..you and I both, only have to be half right. Wish me luck? In 10 days I'm jumping in, and there is nobody coming to save me if this goes wrong. No bus, plane, or train tickets home if I get stuck. But I know that if I'm only halfway there, then I’m still only halfway home….I might as well keep going.

I’m about as afraid as I have ever been, it’s a lot different when you aren't leaving with a love at first sight. This one start's with me all alone, but only for a while I hope. K folks…funny signs? prayer's if inclined, and any advice?

edit on 20-6-2023 by AnrkE because: 3rd times a charm

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It's a different world.......

Best of luck on your journey!

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 10:46 PM
link   
cant say this one is the scariest of them all. It is a different world. hope I find freedom if even just for a short while. thank you aa reply to: nugget1

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Just don't try that in the states, Chicago, Philly, anywhere near Cali...

Up north we have a certain respect for life that the southerners don't have, they never had to Earn it.
Wisconsin doesn't count. There's something in the water over there that tastes good with people. Don't go there either.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yeah I was a little bit bad when younger. Not even allowed across the border. First trip I did go through michigan and minnisota. Didn't get to stop or do much, but I can say the air felt different. Little bit sad cuz I would love to keep going into Alaska. BTW I like outlaws quote in your signature. a reply to: lordcomac

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I think of it as " a strong will that has a free spirit " for life. Too bad you don't have the money to fly to Japan. I'm a 70 year hippy now and for the last several years I've been cycling Japan. Of course, I'm a resident of Japan so I don't have to be concerned about a Visa, but it would be cool to cycle with someone that's likes the adventure of life.
I'll be cycling again, hopefully the latter part of July. I post my adventures on the ATS there on Discord. Just ask here about joining it.
Good luck. The future of cycling in America may not just be a dream for me, but I'll be there one day.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Sour Toe Cocktail
A Sour Toe Cocktail is a drink made with a human toe as the primary ingredient. The toe is usually preserved in salt and then added to the drink, which is typically a mixture of whiskey and lemon juice. The drink is then served with the toe in the glass.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Sour Toe Cocktail
A Sour Toe Cocktail is a drink made with a human toe as the primary ingredient. The toe is usually preserved in salt and then added to the drink, which is typically a mixture of whiskey and lemon juice. The drink is then served with the toe in the glass.

I would rather have it with a pig toe.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AnrkE

Advice? Yep. It's not...what you think. Hitching Route 66, PCH...wherever...or any other...can get you killed. Carry a firearm.

I am a hippie from '60's. It. Is. Deadly. Different. now. You just can't trust intent anymore...good luck. God bless n Happy Trails! Let us know how it goes...best.

And another thing! Jack Kerouac is dead. So is that world. Be safe
edit on 06232130America/ChicagoWed, 21 Jun 2023 11:28:21 -050028202300000021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Deleted

edit on 06233730America/ChicagoWed, 21 Jun 2023 11:27:37 -050027202300000037 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Just don't try that in the states, Chicago, Philly, anywhere near Cali...

Up north we have a certain respect for life that the southerners don't have, they never had to Earn it.
Wisconsin doesn't count. There's something in the water over there that tastes good with people. Don't go there either.

LMAO yeah, when someone invites you to a barbecue here, you just might end up being the entree. I hear the Sierra Nevada area serves up a mean dish of “long pork” also.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Ok folks I'm getting a little creeped out. First I'm not going through the USA at all. Im in Canada......Toronto Folks to Dawson City Yukon. Y'all trying to get me going south?? I already don't know whiich way is up. LOL.

Update;;*** Well I've been knocking the Km's out on foot, and gradually have been increasing my pack weight. Well besides the haunting thoughts of not having either of those 2 women ringing in my ears "'You couldn't do it without me" I gradually changed my mindset to ''I couldn't do it without you....IF I DONT TRY. !!!

Then went back to thinking of witty sign's to make.( I asked for help with that folks, something funny or clever)??. THEN DEVESTATION STRUCK!!! My main pack's zipper failed!!! Then after jerry rigging it back together(just to make it home, it's never coming with me now) it's total blowout, and after distrubuting weight to my front pack, my front pack failed too, the tie down's for the zipper's stress relief, failed as well. I'm freaking out. Used packs arent that expensive but even 50$ is alot out of the budget. Tent is leaking(that's what bridges are for I know), but the praries and the fruit orchards need that cover. Boots are leaking (that I already knew). And lastly I already aggravated a shoulder injury( both need surgery). Much needed pennies are flying out by the bucket full. I havent even left yet and equipment failure's, or repair's are setting me back in time as well.

Is the universe trying to tell me it's a different world and to stay home??? These are trip crushing problems's. Im scrambling to find free gear if I can, and alot of even the free stuff are out of town. I cant see from a picture which pack is even suffecient. There's alot going wrong and a lot going on. jeesh.
edit on 21-6-2023 by AnrkE because: I havent even got a reason

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Oh man that would be great., but I always thought the cyclist's were crazier than us. Seriousely 70 thats the key I think.. Not likely for me to get there. One time I was like what is MIM? I got to ask!!! I understand now. Well looks like the dates for leaving are a bit scrambled now. A couple weeks away. Injury time I suppose. The other shoulder might go soon after. Compensating for safety is a concern on this trip. Think I hold out for a partner now. Damn. This is just a studder step. What is a good platform for msgs? a reply to: musicismagic

edit on 21-6-2023 by AnrkE because: Bong water and beer cans buzzing with swilling ash

top topics

join