It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are memories of you still being moved by wearing the uniform of a US Military Veteran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It's just something about having that uniform on me back then that as I look back as why as an 18 year older wanted to join the military and fight the North Vietnamese . Times these days really haven't changed for the US military since I've been in, but one thing that hasn't changed as I've seen at the Iwakuni base here in Japan is that all those in uniform are proud to be wearing it. I think nothing has changed in over 50 years.

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

In the late 1960's, my buddies coming back from Nam, changed clothes in the airport...because they were spit on and called "baby killers". Awful just awful...

Still MIM, thnx for your service!😎✌️

PS I still feel better in uniform...any uniform. I think it breeds pride, and professionalism. I like a "sense of duty". Respectable...
edit on 06233730America/ChicagoSat, 10 Jun 2023 09:32:37 -050032202300000037 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

In the late 1960's, my buddies coming back from Nam, changed clothes in the airport...because they were spit on and called "baby killers". Awful just awful...

Still MIM, thnx for your service!😎✌️

PS I still feel better in uniform...any uniform. I think it breeds pride, and professionalism. I like a "sense of duty". Respectable...

I was not able to serve b/c of a heart murmur. Thanks to all our Vets.

I just wanted to say, my "uniform" is all black...I am a shadow. But I do take pride that I still dress astute for work. Always a collard chirt.

I worked hard to be where I am. It is sad to see people go to work in shorts or sweats...even pajamas. Not even caring about how they look, much less their work.

To the OP, I have friends who may bitch about the direction of our country, but still are proud to put that uniform on everyday after 25+ years of service.

I am proud to call them my friends.
edit on 10-6-2023 by theatreboy because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2023 by theatreboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Unique to the Clothing Division of Dept. of Defense (DLA) all components and manufacturing of military uniforms must be from and produced in the US. All fabric, thread, zippers, and all must be made and made of parts made here. That can be a real challenge these days with the US dwindling manufacturing base considering there needs to be strict control of color and look to ensure everyone is looking good and uniform. Not to mention the functional requirements of camouflage, nuclear, biological and chemical protective gear, and the many varied items each service needs.

That humble base loves and takes great pride making and caring about the product they are providing and for whom.

Of course, the Army had the green uniform back in the day and changed to a blue dress in 2015 and has changed again to an Eisenhower look called the "pinks and greens". I think they will change that uniform again soon.

I love the look of the BTU on men and women. The Army did a great job with that.

On Sept. 2, 1954, the adoption of the Army green uniform in shade 44 was announced, but it was not until September 1956 that it became available at Quartermaster Clothing Sales Stores -- and late 1957 before it began being issued to inductees. After a transition period to allow wear-out of existing uniforms, the green uniform became mandatory service dress in September 1961.

In 1963, tropical combat clothing was classified for production and issued to soldiers serving in Vietnam. There were three basic patterns of tropical combat coats. The first was made of olive green shade 107, wind resistant cotton poplin with two slanted bellows-type breast pockets and two bellows-type lower pockets on the coat. The pockets had flaps secured by two exposed plastic buttons, an interior button over gas flap, shoulder loops and a double button adjustment tab on each side at the waist. The second pattern coat was basically the same as the first pattern, except that all buttons were covered to prevent snagging in jungle terrain.

On Oct. 1, 1981, the Army introduced the battle dress uniform, or BDUs. This uniform was descended from the tropical combat uniform of the Vietnam War and consisted of a coat made of a nylon and cotton blend in woodland pattern camouflage with matching trousers, and a field cap. Because combat experience in Grenada showed that the BDU uniform was too hot for tropical climates, the Army authorized the wearing of the old tropical combat uniform for several years while adjustments were made.

Army Uniforms: Present Day
For many years, almost every branch includes digital camouflage in their uniforms. This trend began with the Marines who were unwilling to share the design -- so much so that USMC was interwoven into the pattern to prevent other branches adopting it outright. The Army responded by investing millions of dollars in a custom version of the digital camouflage that raised some contention with the Marines.

The services have moved away from that system, however, with the Army, Air Force and Space Force using the Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP), which originated with the Army in 2015.

While meticulously keeping the look the same, Navy has added zippers to their Enlisted Uniform, the 13 button Cracker Jack trouser, the navy and white Jumpers, and has developed the identical look uniform for our "Fightin Ladies".

That enlisted uniform has so much history to it and is so beautifully designed, it's a Mona Lisa.

You can see the current services' uniform requirements at:

The Salute Uniforms

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

A hippie from the 60's, we were misunderstood in the Nam protests. We wanted all our boys home. Not dead in a rice paddy 8,000 miles from home...and to stop being told to kill babies and old people in some far off land. NO MORE WAR!

Forward...I have the utmost respect for all who have served. Thank you. And finally...some of the best parts of my life were in uniform, and wearing it came with pride.

edit on 06232830America/ChicagoSat, 10 Jun 2023 23:59:28 -050059202300000028 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join