It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL legend Jim Brown dead at 87

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Damn, I remember the rumors he was gonna come back and play for the Raiders in his 50s, he was a monster of a running back.

nypost.com...

Jim Brown, still revered by many as the greatest football player who ever lived despite a relatively short nine-year stint as an NFL fullback — walking away from the game in his prime in 1966 to pursue an acting career — and who later became known as a social activist for his involvement in the civil rights movement and with inner-city gangs, died Thursday in Los Angeles, his wife Monique announced.

He was 87.

“It is with profound sadness that I announced the passing of my husband, Jim Brown,” Monique wrote in an Instagram post. “He passed peacefully last night at our LA home. To the world he was an activist, actor, and football star. To our family, he was a loving and wonderful husband, father and grandfather.

“Our hearts are broken.”

Brown led the NFL in rushing in eight of his nine seasons playing for the Cleveland Browns, was voted the league’s MVP three times and was a key member of the Browns’ 1964 NFL championship team. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971 and was named to the NFL’s 50th, 75th and 100th Anniversary All-Time teams.

Brown, who grew up on Long Island, is also recognized as one of the greatest lacrosse players to ever play the game.

But it was a burgeoning career in Hollywood that hastened Brown’s departure from the NFL. Production delays caused by inclement weather in England while filming “The Dirty Dozen” meant that Brown would miss at least the beginning of training camp in the summer of 1966. Team owner Art Modell responded by threatening to fine Brown $100 for each day missed.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Jim Brown .
The absolute reason I started watching football .
I didn't even know the team names , but I knew Jim Brown .
RIP

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

R.I.P. Mr. Brown.

And for some of his Hollywood Classic's. youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:26 PM
link   
He beat the bejeezus out of those Martians, and we are all the better for it.

RIP Jim Brown

new topics

top topics

join