It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raising chickens for fun and food

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Mods, I placed this thread under this topic simply because food and food security is a social issue that many may face, now or in the future.

For those who may be interested in having a few hens but are worried about taking the leap, there is information all over the internet for your learning pleasure. But I'll help and get you some basics.

First of all you need to find out ordinances on keeping pet chickens.
You need a place to keep them, a little house and protected area from predators
Feed and water

Chicks need chick food, water, a warm place to live for a few weeks, protection from predators. It doesn't need to be complicated. I know people who have only fed their chickens cracked corn and let them free range for everything else. If your chickens can't free range, you can give an all around basic chicken feed from any place that sells animal food. Walmart, Tractors Supply, local granges and some pet stores etc.

I keep chickens for the eggs. I prefer brown eggs. If you want brown eggs, you need to buy a breed that lays brown eggs.

Almost all chickens lay eggs on a somewhat regular basis. Some more regular than others, some great egg layers and some not so great. Every other day to every two days is a good layer.

Because they are hardy, friendly and great egg layers, my favorite breeds are:

Rhode Island Red - 300 or more eggs per year - all time overall best chicken ever!

Speckled Sussex 200-250 eggs per year - pretty and eggs

Dark Cornish 160-180 - devoted and loyal chicken, very friendly but protective

Another great breed similar in looks to a RIR (Rhode Island Red) are the:

Isa Browns are a hybrid breed that really is in a league of their own. They are certainly up their with the Best Egg Laying Chickens. These hens can be expected to lay up to 300-350 eggs per year. That's almost one egg each day of the year

An excellent beginners guide here by The Happy Chicken Coop (www.thehappychickencoop.com...)

Remember, you should have at least two chickens so your chicken has a friend. Most in-town places have rules regarding 'pet' chickens, as in only a few, no roosters etc. Check the local ordinances BEFORE you get your chickens.

Some people see chickens as a lot of work. They are about as much work as having a guinea pig, rabbit or gerbils. How complicated you make it is a personal decision.

I have friends who clean their chicken barn once a month or more. I clean my barn once every few years. I use no straw or anything else in my barn. I use a 'deep litter' style of keeping my chickens. My hens lay eggs in a plain wooden boxes with nothing else in them. I used to keep around 50-80 hens plus a few roosters for procreation. I have weaned it down in the last few years because I work 7 days a week. I currently have around 12 chickens and just got 20 baby chicks from Murray McMurray.

Watering can be anything from a dog dish to a regular chicken style waterer. Same for food. Chicks need food that is easy to eat. For a few months, chick food is recommended. After that, regular chicken food and food scraps from your kitchen table are fine. MY chickens don't like cruciferous vegetables or green peppers or many raw veggies except for they LOVE lettuce. Most cooked foods they really like. You will get to know what your chickens are partial to. As with any animals, candy, chocolate, grapes and onions are a no-no.

No matter where you live, if you are going to keep your chickens outside, you MUST have protective fencing. Chickens are easy targets for dogs, coyotes, racoons, skunks, weasels, and even cats. Chicken wire is okay but some racoons can get right through cheap chicken wire. You also don't need a hundred acres to keep chickens. Even a small backyard with a dedicated corner will do.

Below are some pictures from the internet (pinterest) to show what others have done to house their awesome chickens. Many are easy to build/convert, low cost and easy to maintain.

Dog house conversion

Moveable tractor

Nice idea for small coop

Dog house conversion

Right now, it may be difficult to get chicks as this is the season everyone else is getting them. I went to order some additional chicks and they wouldn't arrive until July! Chickens don't start laying eggs until APPROXIMATELY 5-7 months of age. As your chicken ages, it will lay less frequently. Some will lay for several years some may quit after 4 years.

Don't be afraid to have chickens. Have fun! Chickens are very social and love attention. If you get chicks, hold them gently and often.

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

JUST what I've been looking for.

Thankyou far all the advice and info.

Enjoy your Chooks.

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Love backyard chickens,

IMO Orpington Buffs are the friendliest, fluffiest,and snuggliest pets, plus they lay really nice brown eggs consistently.

Light Brahmans are actually like dogs, and will jump on your lap and ride to town in your car.

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Love backyard chickens,

IMO Orpington Buffs are the friendliest, fluffiest,and snuggliest pets, plus they lay really nice brown eggs consistently.

Light Brahmans are actually like dogs, and will jump on your lap and ride to town in your car.

I have to agree. I love both breeds for their gentleness and friendliness. The Brahmas are beautiful and stately with their feather 'cloaks'. And Orpingtons, gorgeous and super soft and fluffy. But for egg production it's hard to beat a RIR and they are my all time favorite. Mine rarely molt, don't have issues with mites and lay well, are friendly and curious.

I mentioned in my opening post about the Isa Browns, someone told me about them and I looked them up. I've never owned them but hear good things about their egg laying capabilities. I personally wouldn't own them because I prefer more heirloom varieties if possible. The Isa's are a pretty modified bird and offspring usually have serious issues. But it all depends on what a person wants.

One friend of mine wasn't as interested in the egg production as much as the strange looking breeds. She wanted one of each rare or different looking chicken. Go figure.

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   

My niece-25 chickens, 10 ducks and a goose or two. Im looking to farm eggs in the future! Ridiculously expensive.

And the CHICKENS dont get no raise...

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I'm also a hobby farmer. We have chickens and ducks, and they are awesome. Also, if my ADD butt can do it, newbies will do better. All hens lay eggs on their own, but not daily; and you'll need a rooster to fertilize and make more chickens, but especially to protect the flock.

R.i.p. Flash. You gave those raptors Hell and saved the farm.
Oh, and don't give them names if you're planning on a bountiful chicken dinner. (I can wax prose on this. Our particular flock are pets. Chicken quesadillas and Tikka Masala are delicious.)

The run and coop should be ample for birds their size, and include places to perch, take dirt baths in, and scratch around. A small pile of fresh cut grass is Disneyland for them lol. Clean their space; you'll know how often.

The yard will be their salad bar, so grow greens for them on the side. Here's a link for people who should get familiar with The Farmer's Almanac. I don't have this talent yet, but I like to keep my family and community fed well; salad is essential. 21 Fast Growing Vegetables for the Impatient

You feed them, they feed you, everyone wins.

edit on 512323 by BeNotAfraid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Just got up and miss read the title!
with a quick sleepy look it looks like.
"Raising children for fun and food"

Fun and Food ?
I thought it was about US elite rich
cannibalism & abuse of children.

oh and What kind of FUN? with chickens?

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Commercial coops are prohibitively expensive for most people to just go out and buy if on a tight budget. On our farm I've been building hoop coops. These are easy to build, durable, endlessly versatile and relatively cheap to make.
edit on 1-5-2023 by Moon68 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2023 by Moon68 because: spelig is herd

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 09:36 AM
link   
NOW! Chickens.
I was told Long ago that if you have a small
group of chickens and they are all feamle.
that one of them will crow in the morning like a male chicken.
is this true?

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
NOW! Chickens.
is this true?

I can't speak for anyone else but not in my experience. Some ladies are quite vocal sometimes though.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
NOW! Chickens.
is this true?

I have not experienced this in my life and I have had chickens off and on for decades. I have a feeling someone may have miss-sexed a chick. Some aren't as obvious as others and take a little longer, or someone simply assumed the bird was one sex or another.

a reply to: buddha

Chickens are fun and interesting to watch. I love hanging with mine, they each have their own personality. They follow you around and 'talk' constantly. I had one dark cornish that as soon as she saw me would fly to me and land on my head or shoulder. I guess to each his own lol.

a reply to: Moon68
Care to share some pics of your homemade coops?

This is one main reason I created this thread. Any wooden or predator proof box or container with an approximate size of 2'x3' can house a chicken or two as long as the chickens can breath and not bake or freeze to death in it. Chickens don't hang in their house unless they are sleeping or laying eggs or the weather or predators force them inside. They love being out and about, looking for bugs and such to eat.

If you lived in a dry environment, you could even use cardboard box as long as you had proper protection from predators and a place to lay some eggs. Some people in some countries don't provide any housing. It all depends on where you live. Use an old dresser from a thrift store, an old baby crib, free pallets from a local business.

It's only expensive if you choose it to be.

Chicken coop tractor from pallets and wire

Chicken coop from old crib

Chicken house from old dresser

Chicken house from old dresser

Chicken Tractor

Aaaand this grand finale:

Use any recycled materials you want. All I'm trying to say is money should not be an issue to owning chickens. For what some people paid for 3 dozen eggs, they could have easily built some kind of 'house' and had free eggs for years. Of course, you MUST feed your chickens which will cost some but not a lot, depending on where you live. And if it comes down to it, you can feed you chickens their own eggs. Simply hard boil them, flatten and pound the crap out of the whole egg, SHELL AND ALL in TINY tiny pieces, just make sure it no longer resembles an egg in any way, shape or form and scatter it around. I have done this mixed with cooked rice when times were tough or I couldn't get chicken food for some reason. You could grind up or blend dry dog food and rice or whatever. Chickens aren't that picky or hard to feed.

Which brings me to another little fact. I have used scrambled eggs and rice to feed my cats when times were hard. Save the egg shells and pound the crap out of them until they are almost dust, mix with more scrambled eggs and cooked rice and fed back to my chickens. They have grains, protein and calcium. I wouldn't do this forever but it works in a pinch. You don't want to just toss a hard boiled egg or minorly crunched cooked or raw eggs to your chickens because this can cause them to become egg eaters in which case, they are no longer a food asset to you unless Sunday dinner rolls around and your cupboards are empty.

If you're not convinced that chickens are right for you, no biggie. I don't want to turn this into a backyard chickens program. But if you want them and can have them, money and space shouldn't be a deal breaker. Some people have kept chickens in their homes but it' not for everyone. However, my bathtubs have frequently been used as temporary chicky homes on several occasions.

live your best life and be happy

edit on 1931202300000031bMon, 01 May 2023 12:09:19 -05002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:27 PM
link   

One of the most important aspects of 'Backyard Chickens' is: PROTECTION!

Chicken-Wire is to keep chickens IN - not predators out.

Hardware cloth is expensive but must be used to protect your birds. Snakes, rats, and weasels can all get through TINY little holes in your coop, fences, etc and are only a few of the smaller animals that will slaughter your chickens and chicks.

---> The only thing that can stop these smaller predators is a very well-designed coop and hardware cloth.

If you're going to 'Free-range' - you really need to think long and hard about how you will protect your birds during the say as everything out there is ready and willing to pounce on your chicken to kill/eat it. Including your own dog.

If you're not going to free range? You still need to have an area your chickens can go out and get some run-about time that's safe and protected. And don't only think about fencing to surround your chickens but something to cover them also.

Best of luck to all you new Chicken Tenders!

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Hens can be super loud - and - if you have a flock with no Roo? Often a hen will take over the Roo's job of protecting the hens and that includes - crowing. No joke, lol.

posted on May, 1 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

One of the most important aspects of 'Backyard Chickens' is: PROTECTION!

Chicken-Wire is to keep chickens IN - not predators out.

Hardware cloth is expensive but must be used to protect your birds. Snakes, rats, and weasels can all get through TINY little holes in your coop, fences, etc and are only a few of the smaller animals that will slaughter your chickens and chicks.

---> The only thing that can stop these smaller predators is a very well-designed coop and hardware cloth.

If you're going to 'Free-range' - you really need to think long and hard about how you will protect your birds during the say as everything out there is ready and willing to pounce on your chicken to kill/eat it. Including your own dog.

If you're not going to free range? You still need to have an area your chickens can go out and get some run-about time that's safe and protected. And don't only think about fencing to surround your chickens but something to cover them also.

Best of luck to all you new Chicken Tenders!

Absolutely. And also, many people forget about the top. I've had racoons climb over a 5 foot welded wire fencing. I also used to free range but it was heart breaking when I lost 100 chickens in one weekend. I was over it at that point. Hadn't had problems in years but suddenly, it all changed. Fencing went up and I decided to keep fewer chickens as well. Those were the days I also grew meat birds as well so it was really devastating.

Anyway, I still have issues but not so massive. It's part of life and I won't stop having chickens until I can't take care of them. I love fresh eggs. Store bought always smell like smelly river water to me, not horrid but not great.

posted on May, 2 2023 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I'll see about snapping a pic or 2 tonight. I've also used the design to build smallish (4x8) dog enclosures.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Grabbed a couple of not so great pics while working outside yesterday evening.

Basic frame with supports and door.

An actual coop with a hoop coop frame used as a run.

Some modified 4x8 dog runs so the bulldogs can get some sun and fresh air.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Nice looking countryside there.

Cheers

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Thanks. Yeah, it's awesome when all the neighbors moo.

top topics

join