It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Play: Ancient Earth Globe Interactive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Just the neatest thing!
You have the option to locate your town, birthplace in multiple epoch's of Earth's continental timeline. Yes I know, the daily fail LOL!!!
Below I've linked to just the Earth Globe for people who don't care to read a article. Home DNA kits have showed pretty wild results regarding ancestry. Now you can also see your original homesite plus watch it twirl around till it ended up where you are now.
Can't help but think this is why people gravitate in life to certain places. Magnetic memory?

The map was built using research from Northern Arizona University and reveals that humans are 'just a blip in history', according to Ian Webster, the former Google engineer behind it.
The website allows you to jump back and forth from the extinction of the dinosaurs to the appearance of the first hominids — the primate family that includes humans and our fossil ancestors.

You do this by entering your location into the map, which then plugs it into plate tectonic models and allows users to see where countries were located hundreds of millions of years ago. The map was built using research from Northern Arizona University and reveals that humans are 'just a blip in history', according to Ian Webster, the former Google engineer behind it.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

dinosaurpictures.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Not today, evil AI, not today!

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 10:34 AM
link   

This is pretty damn cool, logged in to post.

Always knew the basics of Pangea, but never knew 20 million years ago Florida was still underwater. So weird how the Appalachians have shrunk and 750 million years ago North America was barely recognizable and looks like it's underwater or hasn't been formed yet Can't wait till it has zoomed in feature

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iconic

Not today, evil AI, not today!

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Always knew the basics of Pangea, but never knew 20 million years ago Florida was still underwater.

Hopefully it gets re-inundated soon.

So weird how the Appalachians have shrunk...

At one time, roughly 450-500 million years ago, they were estimated to be as tall as the Himalayas.

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Pretty cool interactive map, I wish it was more detailed on ground level as in simulated vegetations and perhaps wildlife.

Either way 150 mio years ago was my favorite, so tropical, big and different.

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Always knew the basics of Pangea, but never knew 20 million years ago Florida was still underwater.

Hopefully it gets re-inundated soon.

So weird how the Appalachians have shrunk...

At one time, roughly 450-500 million years ago, they were estimated to be as tall as the Himalayas.

Look how far below the equator North America was

400 million years ago

even 300 million years ago, it looks like the tail end of the Andes

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Iconic
You're hilarious!!
Just rambling, since this had caught my imagination.
Hypothetically what did Aliens who jiggered our DNA think when they pulled up an looked around?
"Yeah, cut the virus's loose an we're gonna drain this swamp!!"

Amoeba burgers anyone?

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

even 300 million years ago, it looks like the tail end of the Andes

It was also the Atlas Mountains in Africa.

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

HOLY!!!
If you click & drag you can move Earth's location in space!!!
Just was looking to stop the spinning at 750 million for a look see at glaciation. SURPRISE!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This was so cool! Thanks for sharing.
Moving through time all around, near the equator, away from the equator, raised up in the mountains, back down, underwater, back up again... Yea I bet the climate changed over, & over, & over, & over...

posted on Apr, 30 2023 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth
Thanks!
Saw crappy maps of Pangea in school but this totally amazed me as did seeing the planet as Waterworld the movie.
Wish you could get better closer land images. No way Pangea didn't have lakes scattered around.

While my grandkid is now a teenager this would have been wild for him to see this as he was playing with his dinosaurs.

top topics

join