It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks like the end for the Reno Air Races

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2023 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Reno air races have been going on for just about 60 years and unfortunately it looks like this will be the last year for the event.

It cost a fortune to field an aircraft for the races at Reno and I am not even talking about a war bird but a small formula 1 air racer. With the price of aviation fuel and insurance I am surprised they have managed to keep the races going as long as they have... Most of my friends have sold their aircraft and are glad they did as fuel, insurance, hanger fees and liability takes all the fun out of general aviation even if you are not poor !

youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 25 2023 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I'm very sad to hear this. Growing up in Reno (Sparks), we always went. Eventually I would grow up to become a paramedic and joining the Washoe County Sheriff's Department HASTY TEAM. this allowed me to work right out in the fields during the races.

Seen some aircrafts take some damage while the pilot walks away... And not.

I heard it was coming, thought it would be a couple years ago.

Originally I heard it was because the Stead Area North of Reno has grown exponentially since I moved from there years ago. and boy has it grown..

The airport doesn't need to stay, but Dept of Forestry keep their Fire Aircraft out there and south in Douglas near Carson city.

To many homes and business have come to surround the area. Some newer home owners complain, but older residents love it.

But if the issue is purely a Financial one, Then I really hope the Reno Air Races return.

The Balloon Races, Hot August Nights and Burning Man is all Reno has left, but the races were the best.

I'll be in Reno in July, and now that I've heard this, I'll go again this year.

I'm happy to have seen and have met some interesting characters of pilots and their crew over the years.

S and F

edit on 25-4-2023 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2023 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It will come back. We will have our world back.

Fly hard. Fly free.

new topics

join