It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK deadline for compulsary voter ID to vote in elections is this Tuesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I don't read too much MSM but one topic the government and a few media have completely failed to give the attention it deserves.

From now on select photo ID is mandatory to take part in local and national elections in the UK - there is a very brief mention of this completely new policy that deprives a lot of people their legal right to vote buried on the back of recent polling cards.

The government website to apply for a free voter ID is here and requires only a passport style photo and NI number but the deadline for applying is 25th of April (this Tuesday).

Apply for free Voter ID

I'm not a lawyer but I'm of the strong opinion the current notice is illegal in the UK as it violates the principle of the 'Red hand rule' where the onus is on the person(s) applying a law to make it obvious, clearly signposted and labelled. It seems deliberately targetted to hit the most vulnerable people in society.

Apparently only around 10,000 people have applied out of the 45 million who may require it - both valid voter ID and pollinig card will be required to vote.

The current response from the Voter Authority Certificate is to issue a 'temporary' paper copy a couple of days after application as they don't expect to have the proper version ready/posted out by the upcoming elections which will cause havok on polling day.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

From now on select photo ID is mandatory to take part in local and national elections in the UK

About time too , now if they'd get rid of postal ballots perhaps we could have a little more faith in the process.

There have been electronic signs up in and around my town informing people of the change , although voting is a futile act of self delusion.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Agreed on national elections but I'm lucky enough to have incredible local councilors who go above, beyond and put MPs to shame.

There certainly needed to be a tightening up in ID and the previous voting system which was complete trust based with zero checks and nothing to stop someone casting dozens of votes at various local polling stations - however it appears postal voting doesn't have the same ID requirements in the current shift and is open to abuse.

My major issue is how the fundamental change hasn't been promoted enough - I can see it causing chaos on polling day as only know of it due to local activists but live in the Lakes so ignorant as to awareness campaigns in less 'arse end of nowhere' regions.

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

Apparently only around 10,000 people have applied out of the 45 million who may require it - both valid voter ID and pollinig card will be required to vote.

Are you saying that 45 million people won't be able to vote? What's the total voting population?

top topics

join