It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Privacy Settlement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 03:25 PM
link   
First thing this morning I heard about the Facebook Privacy Settlement - the result of a recent class action lawsuit against FB. $725 million (minus attorneys fees and administrative costs) to be awarded to US Facebook users who had a FB account between May 2007 and December 2022.

I even went to the website where you submit you data to get your portion of the money. The “claim form” requires a bunch of information - legal name, home address, phone number and also your Facebook user name.

facebookuserprivacysettlement.com...-claim

In other news the US banks are trying to roll out a digital currency system similar to what China uses. I read that in China’s digital currency system each individual is assigned a social credit score. I don’t understand all of the ins and outs of how China’s system works.

That got me to thinking that if the US wanted to tie our new digital banking system to a social credit score they would most likely need to amass a large quantity of individually identifiable baseline data.

I’m sure it is just a coincidence that right now hundreds of millions of US individuals are being financially incentivized to voluntarily tie their real FB identities to their social media identities - creating a huge pool of data tying individuals to online behaviors.

edit on 22-4-2023 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

Most Americans gave their data over when they made the Facebook page.

As for this class action, how many people are going to fill out that form just to get mailed a $20 check at best.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I've held the crazy theory that everything related to the vax would be a perfect rollout for the UBI on a nationwide scale.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Unless you opt out of the settlement, you are automatically part of the Settlement. If you do nothing, you will not get a payment from this Settlement and you will give up the right to sue, continue to sue, or be part of another lawsuit against the Defendant related to the legal claims or factual allegations resolved by this Settlement.

NO DEADLINE

These lawsuits are always interesting in this regard.

By doing absolutely nothing, you are prohibited from bring forth a case.

I need to take you all to court now.

Terms and Conditions:
By reading this text provided by JinMI, you automatically agree to a financial obligation to JinMI for the amout of 40 quadrillion dollars USD.
edit on 22-4-2023 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Unfortunately it’s rare we can actually sue any large entity these days unless there is gross illegal activity.

Most T&C include arbitration agreements. Hell, even employers are forcing employees to sign arbitration agreements before hiring.

But I agree, the whole thing sucks to be honest. I haven’t had a Facebook in over ten years since they would pay phone companies to pre load the app, make it to where you can’t uninstall, and they were tracking you even if you didn’t have an account with them.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Kind of a personal question here, but do you own an Iphone?

Terms and conditions are fine as far as access is concerned. I think if you wish to run a business, you can certainly tailor it to your desires.

When you are taking something, especially something that is of monetary value, it's a line crossed. Moreso if it's hidden in a 15 page legal document.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 03:59 PM
link   

enjoy your $1.50 everyone.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I have both and have worked in the industry.

As a consumer, we have no rights with apple, google, or the carrier unfortunately. We’re paying to be a data source for them, and data is the most valuable commodity. Hence why apple has a market cap of 2.6T

There’s no other explanation that can justify that market cap IMO

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I have both and have worked in the industry.

As a consumer, we have no rights with apple, google, or the carrier unfortunately. We’re paying to be a data source for them, and data is the most valuable commodity. Hence why apple has a market cap of 2.6T

There’s no other explanation that can justify that market cap IMO

You nailed it.

One caveat, we did have rights before we "agreed" to the TnC's of devices and apps.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Yea, and while I’m not usually a fan of regulation, this is an area where I could see it be fitting.

This falls under implied consent. On one hand, we agreed to the terms, on the other, if we want to participate in society we essentially have to have a smart phone.

If you want to interact with a lot of companies, or even be employed by one you almost have to have a smartphone.

The scary thing is some employers require employees to have the company app, which you guessed it has to have a lot of permissions enabled.

What really gets me is when this is happening with products or services I paid for, since they’re essentially double dipping.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 04:46 PM
link   

It could be my ignorance talking here but I don't even think it would be that complex.

Usage is one thing.

Taking something is another.

Monetizing that taken thing is yet another.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   

And that should be the distinction.

if we as consumers pay for a product or service, data aggregation or at least the selling of it to third parties shouldn’t be a thing.

I’ve never been a fan of John Oliver show, but it was funny when he bought congressman data from data brokers and said he wouldn’t release it if legislation prohibited some of how data is traded. I don’t think anything came of it though.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

And that should be the distinction.

if we as consumers pay for a product or service, data aggregation or at least the selling of it to third parties shouldn’t be a thing.

I’ve never been a fan of John Oliver show, but it was funny when he bought congressman data from data brokers and said he wouldn’t release it if legislation prohibited some of how data is traded. I don’t think anything came of it though.

You touch on a much larger issue here.

The lack of culpability and accountability. Tiers of justice etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Dont get me started on Facebook accounts being easily hacked.

top topics

join