It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musk labels CBC “69% Government-funded” as more news outlets quit Twitter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I have decided to forgo my usual resistance to make threads that include the name "Musk" in them, and risk it here.

I say that because when it comes to anything "Elon Musk" it has to carry a lot of distateful baggabe either pro (fanboi all things Musk) or con (Over-hyped, oversold, overstated, yada yada.) I don't care that its' Musk. But arsTechnica has to garner clicks too, so...

Musk labels CBC “69% Government-funded” as more news outlets quit Twitter

CBC stops posting on Twitter, says "our journalism is independent."

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Twitter profile has a new label that Elon Musk wrote specifically for Canada's public broadcaster: "69% Government-funded Media." While Musk appears to be enjoying his feud with media outlets, his insistence on using "state-affiliated" and "government-funded" labels for public broadcasters has driven several news organizations to quit the social network that he bought for $44 billion.

I have to note that this article could be taken in more ways than one.

First, the author directly uses the name "Musk" over and over, as if Twitter is a one-person thing. And everything Twitter is specifically a "Musk" personal activity. But I get it... the name makes for search hits.

Apparently, "Musk" had originally labeled the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation 70% government-funded, but it was based on a rounding up of last year's data... so he corrected it to 69%...

The folks at arsTechnica went to the maths... correcting with this years data which makes it 66%, actually. I guess they made their point.

They also explore the "other" of the 'several news organizations,' NPR. They too declared that identifying them as government funded was somehow 'misleading.'

Now my question is why has it come to the point of wanting people to be aware of the financial ties between the government and their "News" operation makes a "bad" impression on their audience? Is it not possible for the government to fund a journalistic enterprise without imposing its ideology and agenda on the operation? Is it automatically a terrible thing for a news organization to get grants from the government?

Don't misunderstand, I know the government has repeatedly and egregiously abused such relationships... any student of history can discover it for themselves.

But are they not sending a contradictory message when they claim they don't want that relationship acknowledged? Why the posture of shame? Why the defensive responses? Or do they just want in on the "bad" Musk party... again.

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Government funded, or government influence on what they say, how they say it, and when they say it. Yep, I have seen the CBC in this light for a few decades. Likely they have secret agreements with security services like the CIA, the NSA, and the RCMP and others. It doesn't matter one bit that those are cross border or not.

Anyone who pays attention to all of these things will have noticed long ago how to spot propaganda and know when lies in the news are being told. The CBC is rife with it just like the BBC, and all the MSM.

So the CBC defends their position by quitting Twitter in protest like unprofessional children would do, instead of defending themselves with honor and intelligence. If what Musk said wasn't true there would be no need to quit Twitter in a tizzy, but when liars are outed they often get ANGRY and react emotionally.

News outlets quitting Twitter, because their propagandized narratives are being refuted, and those posts are not being removed (as much), so the former tight grip on narratives is no longer working like before.

HAHA this is hilarious isn't it? Are we learning anything new today? (I mean anyone not the OP.)

Thanks for posting this.

edit on 19-4-2023 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Yup. They take their ball and go home, rather than defend themselves. Leads me to believe they know they cannot refute the statements.
Something to think about.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

It's a beautiful thing.

CBC has been applying false labels to patriotic law-abiding Canadians, without recourse for years now. As they've sucked like pigs from the trough.

Now that they have an accurate label applied to them, they immediately have a tantrum.

I'm happy to say that I played my small part in petitioning and being a PITA to Elon to make this happen.

@MyMyMyMykenukem
#DefundTheCBC

edit on 4/19/2023 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 09:56 AM
link   
funny how big msm outfits get exposed and then decide not to defend themselves and revert to typical red herrings and snitty attitudes 😁

new topics

top topics

join