It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Videos Won't Load After New Website Update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   
What happened? Before ATS got "updated," You Tube videos would load and play for me in the threads where they were added. Now, since the "update," the page just spins and spins and never loads the video anymore. Why was this change added? Could this be reverted back to when it worked? As an aside, I use Windows XP on this computer and I'm wondering if ATS didn't just turn off functionality for XP. Could this question be addressed? I know, I know.... Windows XP is not supported anymore. But, it did work before the "update" so what exactly changed?

TCB

p.s. I'd hate to think that this thread would just get deleted instead of addressing my question.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

Try clearing the browser's cache, if that doesn't work, clear out history, too.

What browser are you using? And is it as updated as can be, notwithstanding XP?

ETA: remember to close the browser after any kind of maintenance.

edit on 10/4/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It must be something on your end, they seem to load fine for me.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

Try clearing the browser's cache, if that doesn't work, clear out history, too.

What browser are you using? And is it as updated as can be, notwithstanding XP?

ETA: remember to close the browser after any kind of maintenance.

I tried all those suggestions and it didn't work.
My browser is Firefox and it's the latest version I can get for Windows XP.

Whenever something like this happens to me, it's usually because the website turned off functionality for Windows XP. Why they would do that, I don't know, but it's happened several times. XP doesn't just stop working on it's own, they make it stop working.

Edit:

All right, now they're loading, but they take an extremely long time to do so. Not like before when they would just load instantly. So many changes, it's hard to keep up with them.

Thanks for helping!
edit on 10-4-2023 by TrulyColorBlind because: Added an afterthought.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Ok, I'm glad. Just out of interest, do you experience the same latency on the YouTube site itself?

edit on 10/4/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22
do you experience the same latency on the YouTube site itself?

Fortunately, when the videos are posted here on ATS, the commercials don't play. I'm so sick of commercials, I never go to You Tube itself anymore. If I feel the video is worth watching, I'll just use a You Tube downloader and get the video, without ever having to go to the site itself. That way, I never have to experience their "commercialization" onslaught.

posted on Apr, 10 2023 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I feel your pain. It's ok, it was just to test a theory.

Normally, after you flush the cache you'll find slow loading in general as the browser is forced to download all the elements of each website you visit. After a short while, speeds should improve as the page will load from the cache and just download the changes. This is less noticeable on fast PCs with good internet speeds, but on older computers, the loading can be very lethargic, notwithstanding fast internet.

new topics

top topics

join