It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Beethoven’s hair, scientists determined the real cause of the composer’s mysterious death

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 07:14 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

Well, the mystery is finally solved. Unless new tech comes along to tell he was abducted by Aliens.

I kid. It's pretty cool, I say, that we can figure out some of this old stuff. I'm still waiting for treasure from Oak Island so my hopes ain't high.

Historians have long speculated about the cause of Ludwig van Beethoven’s untimely death in 1827 at the age of 56.

Now, using strands of the composer’s hair saved by fans over the centuries, researchers have been able to analyze his DNA to gain insight into the illnesses he suffered from that eventually led to his death. How did researchers collect Beethoven’s DNA samples?

In a paper published in the journal Current Biology on Wednesday, researchers detailed the process of collecting and analyzing eight locks of hair attributed to Beethoven.

Out of the eight locks of hair from public and private collections, five were authentic, according to the study.

One of the locks that was deemed inauthentic was originally believed to have been snipped from Beethoven’s head by a young composer, Ferdinand Hiller, the day after he died.

The lock was auctioned by Sotheby’s in 1994 and was bought by members of American Beethoven Society for $7,300, after which it went on display at Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies at San Jose State University in California, The New York Times reported.

The Hiller lock, as it was called, was studied over 20 years ago by researchers who suggested that the lead in the hair could mean the composer died from lead poisoning.

However, after studying the DNA from the lock and comparing it to the other hair samples collected, researchers determined that the Hiller lock was actually from a “woman of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry,” ruling out lead poisoning as the cause of Beethoven’s death, according to The Washington Post.
How did Beethoven die?

So if it wasn’t lead poisoning that led to Beethoven’s death, as researchers previously believed, what illnesses afflicted the composer and eventually killed him?

By studying his DNA, the authors of the study found that Beethoven had a predisposition for liver disease and had become infected with hepatitis B sometime during his life.

These genetic risk factors for liver disease, alongside a possible liver infection and heavy drinking, “may have hastened Beethoven’s premature death,” Tristan Begg, the lead author of the study, said, according to Science News.

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I often find the detective work that goes into such inquiries much more interesting than the result.
It's pretty cool, liver disease and alcoholism are in comparison rather mundane.
Can you lose your hearing from liver problems?

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 01:19 AM
link   
what I want to know is who was the jewish girl that was eating paint chips and why what's his hamer had her hair..m..
edit on 25-3-2023 by didntasktobeborned because: mental

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

It says "may have caused"

and its just as likely that he had lead poisoning

there's no telling what happened, they just examined his dna and wrote an article saying he "may have" had a bad liver

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Thrumbo

I made a joke about being abducted by aliens but that was a lame attempt to say it still could be anything. We have some info but not enough, yet, unless they find something more in the bloodline.

new topics

top topics

join