It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to educate your children - Jordan Peterson and Acton academy founder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2023 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Entrepeneur Jeff Sandefer (started his first business at age 16) began a school based on how he wanted his own children to learn - they were the first students. Acton uses Socratic methods only and believes every child has a genius they can use to improve the world. Children learn to take responsibility very early on and engage in tasks usually reserved for older children. By their early teens many of their students are doing apprenticeships, some at Space X. Appears to be wildly successful in producing competent, intelligent, socially adapted and responsible graduates.
This was so full of concepts I had to listen a second time through despite it's 2 hour length and I'm considering starting a school where I live ( I do miss teaching).

posted on Mar, 5 2023 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

The discussion concerning classroom culture and learning was fascinating. Culture is often a buzzword that pro sports teams and private sector companies employ. But conceptually, a cultural foundation for learning and future success differs from mainstream thinking/New Zealand's public system, and the flow-on effects devastate my country. Moreover, School leavers often lack basic literacy and maths skills, but I digress.

The Case Method ( More info ) provides a method to generate reflection upon other participants ideas and critiques without real-world consequences. My poor experiences and outcomes with traditional education and the Case Method reinforce those points.

Note to the Australian and Kiwi readers: Apprenticeships indicate students placed in work experience rather than a blend of technical training and on-the-job training in a paid role. But a suitable placement would ensure a student's time is better spent than learning matters, which they will forget in later life. So, aside from sampling different potential career paths, pupils might learn the value of networking.

posted on Apr, 26 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 06:06 AM
link   

edit on Tue May 9 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Dianesawyer
a reply to: MichaelBrookes

Another 2 brand new posters.
Congratulations on your first post.

edit on 9-5-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 04:05 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2023 @ 02:54 PM
link   
There are changes happening now in American Society after the experience that we went through worldwide.

It appears to me that some people took social distancing too far, and now they want remote jobs to make their living, they do business from their cellphones, they want to track through life without any social personal relationships outside of their family. Now that is a serious change.

Today, a woman was in front of my house walking her dog, but she wasn't walking, she was standing and looking at her phone and walking 2 steps every 30 seconds. Her dog was completely confused.

I could help but to think, kids get addicted to video games, everybody knows that. So to me I think this woman is setting an example, by allowing her kids to play video games while they are walking down the street! This simply would not be acceptable in the past. I could help but to think "She cares about the American youth so much that she is setting an example to play video games, or play games on their phone, when they are attempting to walk down the street."

I went inside my house and I couldn't eat my lunch, I could breath and had shortness of breath. The woman did nothing to me, she resembled a cow that sits in the street - just not moving and won't pay attention when I said hi. But my body is responding with so much stress - why are grown ups encouraging behavior like this? If society is moving in this direction I will be in pain every day just seeing that people have changed to where that hate their neighbor.

Hate is the not the opposite of love - ignoring people like they do, is.

posted on Jun, 5 2023 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Then again, I am an attention craving freak. With my rants, some people agree, some people don't. It is curious to me that these same people I talk down about, always give me a smile and act like a nice person when I "wake them up" from their disturbance. I don't want to end up showing dis-respect just because I am not getting any attention. But when I read that they are really lying, I started to see the lies, and darn that is what started to this stuff affecting my health.

I just dream of a world where everyone considers everyone, nobody ever ignores anyone, every member of society shows out their hand to shake every other stranger on the earth, whenever they cross paths. Nobody thinks like that, I know what is happening to me, I just hate that when I change this way, the whole world chooses differently. Just chaos and stress - I know why I think that way, and I know it is because nobody has had the same experiences. I know people have so much spite to other human beings sometimes.

posted on Jun, 6 2023 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

It's interesting that they mention Joe Rogan's approach to how he gained success as a teaching tool. Maybe instead of a Socratic Method of teaching and considering the upcoming generations of children will be in the technological age, they should devise a Roganic Method of teaching children to fit their generational challenges.

I also think that the Socratic method of teaching, it's philosophy, which is how to think critically is already applied in most of the teaching institutions we have today.

It would be nice to see the Socratic method applied here on ATS.

posted on Jul, 10 2023 @ 01:34 AM
link   
My spouse and I opted to put our child into a catholic school in Canada, because there's less confusing LGBTQ and social justice mantras pressed on children in the catholic schools, as opposed to the public school system in Canada.
edit on 10-7-2023 by wlavallee1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 03:18 AM
link   

top topics

join