It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Che Guevara's take on the significance of the Bay of Pigs invasion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I understand that many living Cuban exile veterans of the Bay of Pigs invasion blame John F. Kennedy's administration for having bungled the invasion, but I found something interesting about declassified documents regarding an August 1961 conversation between JFK's speechwriter Richard Goodwin and Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara regarding what the Bay of Pigs invasion meant for Cuba in Che's opinion:

He then went on to say that he wanted to thank us very much for the invasion—that it had been a great political victory for them—enabled them to consolidate—and transformed them from an aggrieved little country to an equal.

Given that the Bay of Pigs invasion took place during the year that Fidel Castro began the Literacy Campaign to eradicate illiteracy for rural Cubans, Che Guevara felt blessed to call the Bay of Pigs invasion the first instance of the US treating la revolucion as an equal because he was obligated to chastise JFK for underestimating Fidel Castro's popularity with the masses.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Potlatch

I'm not into that part of history nor trauma but kudos to you for trying to help veterans.

posted on Feb, 28 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
a reply to: Potlatch

I'm not into that part of history nor trauma but kudos to you for trying to help veterans.

I forgot to mention that Che Guevara's private remarks to Goodwin that the Bay of Pigs invasion was the first instance of the US treating the communist government in Havana as an equal, he also bore in mind the fact that some members of Brigade 2506 served and flourished economically under the Fulgencio Batista whom he recognized as a tyrant, and thus preferred a right-wing dictatorship to take root in Cuba once they overthrow Fidel Castro. In Guevara's view, had the Bay of Pigs invasion been successful, any of Castro's social designs for Cuba that were being implemented would have been undone and racism would have returned to Cuba. It is therefore no wonder that in the post-Trump era, the Democratic Party top brass distances itself from Cuban exile veterans of the Bay of Pigs invasion who feel nostalgic for the Batista years because they know that Batista was a right-wing dictator and that race relations in Cuba during his tenure were very poor (Batista wasn't allowed into his nightclub despite being a mulatto Cuban).

new topics

join