It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reaction to FDR's death by Americans affected by Great Depression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I've kept in mind how Churchill, Stalin, and Chiang reacted to the death of Franklin Delano Roosevelt from a cerebral hemorrhage, but what was the reaction to FDR's death by Americans who had borne the brunt of the Great Depression, given that Roosevelt engineered the New Deal that pulled the US out of the Great Depression? I mean, even though the New Deal didn't end the Great Depression overnight, the US entry into WW2 after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor automatically ended the Great Depression by granting jobs to several unemployed Americans in the defense industry.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Good thought, what would be the reaction of the average American is something we’re to take out Joe Biden in the same way. Why, I do believe we would have a party.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Bad monetary policy by FDR's administration extended the depression several years prior to the war.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Potlatch

I'd argue that FDR's policies prolonged the great depression and paved the way for our current bloated corrupt government and welfare state.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
Bad monetary policy by FDR's administration extended the depression several years prior to the war.

Bad monetary policy has been a hallmark of US Presidential administrations since at least the dawn of the 20th century.
FDR was merely 1 in a line of many.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Potlatch

I wasn't around back then, if I had been, my response would be good riddance. He's up there with Wilson in my top 5 worst presidents ever.

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Does anybody know of any newspaper archives which would answer the OP's question by reporting how people reacted at the time?

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arizona2

originally posted by: Phoenix

Bad monetary policy has been a hallmark of US Presidential administrations since at least the dawn of the 20th century.
FDR was merely 1 in a line of many.

This thread focuses solely on how people who were affected by the Great Depression and mostly benefitted from the New Deal reacted to the death of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, because FDR came to office campaigning on vowing to end the Great Depression and waited until after the start of the European theater of WW2 to contemplate the day when the US would turn against Nazi Germany.

top topics

join