It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you put a marshmallow in a container with sugar, does it reduce sugar turning into blocks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Here's the cooking hack:

Revive Your Brown Sugar
Has your molasses-rich brown sugar seized up into a solid block? You’ll never have to pull out a chisel or hammer mid baking project again, if you store a miniature marshmallow in the bag, to help keep the sugar moist.

I assume it's saying that the marshmallow will prevent or reduce the sugar from sticking to each other? How true is it?

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonslayer83

Why don't you try it and tell us dude!

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   
slowly warm rock hard brown sugar in a covered double boiler….
save the marshmellows for the campfires….

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Lots of different ways to help keep moisture in brown sugar-a small slice of apple, half a piece of bread-or what I use is a piece of brown pottery that has been soaked in water for a few hours.

Adding moisture will also restore brown sugar that has turned brick hard, but it takes a few days. will also

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I have no clue if marshmallows will work for that. I just take hard sugar and use a hard grater we have to turn it back into granulated sugar again....it may be easier with a marshmallow, but then again, I like the exercise from grating it like cheese anyway. It doesn't seem to dull the grater either, and I don't know why it doesn't. In fact, it seems like it actually sharpens the grater to me. This works for salt that is really hard too.

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I also use the brown pottery trick it works great the sugar keeps for ever.

a reply to: nugget1

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Long time lurker and it was this thread that finally got me to join.

Easiest solution to hard brown sugar...stop buying brown sugar. All it is is granulated white sugar with molasses mixed in to it, then marked up to a price exceeding both. Buy white sugar and molasses separately. Recipe calls for a cup of brown suger, use a cup of white and add molasses to your tastes.

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: spareparta

Long time lurker and it was this thread that finally got me to join.

Easiest solution to hard brown sugar...stop buying brown sugar. All it is is granulated white sugar with molasses mixed in to it, then marked up to a price exceeding both. Buy white sugar and molasses separately. Recipe calls for a cup of brown suger, use a cup of white and add molasses to your tastes.

I've done this when out of brown sugar-one tablespoon of molasses to one cup white sugar, and you can just throw both ingredients into the recipe without 'making' brown sugar. Two tablespoons of molasses per cup of sugar will give you dark brown sugar.

Traditionally, brown sugar is what remains from the refining of white cane sugar, but now the 'bargain' brands are made from adding molasses to the much cheaper beet sugar.

I steer clear of beat sugar, and use natural sweeteners now when possible.

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It does. My step mother showed me this years ago. It works and is awesome

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I've never tried a marshmallow. Tho I might now.

I dampen a folded paper towel and toss in the bag. The brown sugar softens and the paper towel completely dry. Works like a charm.

posted on Feb, 13 2023 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

One tablespoon molasses to one cup sugar... good to know.

Thank you!

top topics

join