It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First World problems need find authentic Wor Wonton Soup locally

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
a reply to: putnam6

I have had bits of peking duck but my dream is to order a whole glorious one.

Ive only had it once and was with so many people only got a little bit, it's so good.

Damn now Im gonna be disappointed no matter what I have LOL probably should just have a salad and call it a night.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 05:30 PM
link   

And cilantro.

Even if tastes like cat ass! Cilantro has great properties that help your digestive system which (called your biome) is the center of your health!

Personally, bad cilantro tastes like soap. But the organic stuff doesn’t. The super cheap stuff is totally cat as….k me again and I’ll tell you the same!!

Can’t do cilantro? Then the real deal wassabi plant (iirc, a water chestnut relative) will do the same. And if worse comes to worse, flat leaf parsley will work. But it won’t be as effective as cilantro).

🥢

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Great. Now through the power of suggestion, I'm on a quest...

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Just a suggestion:

Learn to make it.

Your family and friends will worship you.

Yep Ive done a decent facsimile of Hot and Sour soup, potstickers, and various stir fry before but Sub Gum Wor Wonton has so many components and it's just the 3 of us.

For the pork tenderloin, you literally have to roast the whole tenderloin in five spices and I want to say rice wine vinegar a little soy Hoison sauce and Im missing something else, as well as for authentic Chinese pork tenderloin you need to dye it red on the outside, though it's a royal pain in the arse and I usually skip that part. But its 40-45 minutes just getting that cooked and it needs to rest and then sliced and you still got all the other veggies and proteins to prepare,

They can't be thrown in and simmered they need to be added at the right time when they don't get mushy it's a bit of an art. I'm a decent enough chef who can prepare 3 or 4 dishes that are nice restaurant quality but I just don't get enough Wor Won Ton soup practice to have the skills. Ain't nothing more frustrating than spending a couple of hours prepping and cooking and it still not close to the 10 bucks a quart stuff

I hear ya...was just a suggestion..whew..

Our favourite Chinese place is the last (no exaggeration) stall open in the food court at our local mall.

Things are getting tense around here, once they close, I'll have to pull up my sleeves and become a Chinese cook myself....

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The shin ramyun is way better than any instant ramen has any business being.

The noodle quality is on point and the broth has a nice depth and is surprisingly spicy.

I’ll as some veggies, shiitake mushrooms, a protein and maybe a splash of coconut milk to make it rich.

Edit: sometimes I have frozen wontons or dumplings that I’ll pop in if I’m looking to eat big.

But the shin is usually at Walmart and Kroger’s, though the latter is regional. I like the more obscure ones from our local oriental market too, which is where I score some real good stuff to doctor up my quick meals. The red Thai curry will take something meh and give it some depth and freshness.
edit on 2-2-2023 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: MykeNukem
"Just a suggestion:

Learn to make it.

Your family and friends will worship you."

Yep Ive done a decent facsimile of Hot and Sour soup, potstickers, and various stir fry before but Sub Gum Wor Wonton has so many components and it's just the 3 of us.

Like Mike said (and beat me to it!) find "copycat" recipes of your favorite dishes and make them at home. That's what I do. Any time I want, say, egg drop soup or pho ga or those whole button mushrooms in oyster sauce, I make them myself. And if you're saying it's too complicated and time-consuming for just three people, I'm just one person and it's not too time-consuming for me when it's something really good like that and I just have to have it now.

What you could also do is to go to all the trouble to make a big batch and then home can it. Then you can just grab a jar, heat and serve it and have it anytime you want! That's also what I do. I home can a lot of different soups and stews. I've seen home canned soups and stews last 10 years on the shelf without refrigeration. I still find that amazing after all this time I've been doing it.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

I'm just one person and it's not too time-consuming for me when it's something really good like that and I just have to have it now.

I cook for one 90% of the time but love it.

Podcast or classical and some red wine. I don’t care if it take an hour, its cathartic I think. But I could definitely see how many would find it taxing.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I'm just one person and it's not too time-consuming for me when it's something really good like that and I just have to have it now.

Podcast or classical and some red wine. I don’t care if it take an hour, its cathartic I think. But I could definitely see how many would find it taxing.

Yes, a lot of people I know would think it a complete waste of time to spend four hours cooking a meal only to eat it in a half hour. But, it's relaxing and fulfilling to create meals like that. Makes it feel special when I do and that's always an extra plus.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:56 PM
link   

My favorite is dry brined and (semi) fridge dried tomahawks (three days) then par smoked, reverse seared, drippings and bone broth gravy for some Yukon gold garlic mash, asparagus, and a fresh French baguette with garlic and rosemary compound butter. It takes me many many hours. But it’s so incredibly decadent. And it’s like you said the fact so much work goes into it that makes it so pleasurable at the end.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I'm the same way. I find it therapeutic and more satisfying.

Plus your always learning and experimenting that way.

We jar moose, deer, beef stew, veggies etc..

Never tried Chinese food yet though, lol

edit on 2/2/2023 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Plus your always learning and experimenting that way.

It’s one of the few creative outlets I’ve found that works for me too.

Plus the concept is just so primal. It’s our sustenance and culture. The execution can be art and tradition.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 08:32 PM
link   

My favorite is dry brined and (semi) fridge dried tomahawks (three days) then par smoked, reverse seared, drippings and bone broth gravy for some Yukon gold garlic mash, asparagus, and a fresh French baguette with garlic and rosemary compound butter. It takes me many many hours. But it’s so incredibly decadent. And it’s like you said the fact so much work goes into it that makes it so pleasurable at the end.

It does sound decadant! The only thing is, I grew up around Indians and I don't think the kind of "tomahawks" you're talking about are the same kind I'm familiar with. I've never heard of any other kind of tomahawks, except those for scalping.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Lol, tomahawk ribeyes, has the bone with it (which I save for bone broth since it’s Smokey).

Sadly they’re very pricey and hard to find high quality ones now.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Lol, tomahawk ribeyes, has the bone with it (which I save for bone broth since it’s Smokey).

Sadly they’re very pricey and hard to find high quality ones now.

Thanks! I've never seen that name on the ones I buy, so maybe they just don't sell that cut in my area. You learn something everyday!

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I have been sick with some sort of annoying virus for the past week. My wonderful husband cooks very good Chinese food. He's not Chinese. We both love to experiment with different styles of cooking.

Anyway... I very much wanted some egg drop soup. He whipped some up right after I requested it.

It is easy to do if you have chicken broth, eggs, and a few other ingredients. It was better than anything. Found the recipe on line.

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: twicewidowed
I have been sick with some sort of annoying virus for the past week. My wonderful husband cooks very good Chinese food. He's not Chinese. We both love to experiment with different styles of cooking.

Anyway... I very much wanted some egg drop soup. He whipped some up right after I requested it.

It is easy to do if you have chicken broth, eggs, and a few other ingredients. It was better than anything. Found the recipe on line.

Yeah, I know the eggs can be a problem for some these days. But we have chickens who are laying just fine. I was wise enough from the beginning to stay away from TSC feed.

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: twicewidowed
I very much wanted some egg drop soup. He whipped some up right after I requested it.

That egg drop soup is great stuff! It's good that you could have it at home when you wanted it, thanks to your husband. I make it at home, too.

<< 1   >>

join