It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Paul Rosenzweig Appointed Chairman of DHS Privacy Board

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Conservative lawyer, Paul Rosenzweig known to technologists for his defense of the Total Information Awareness project from DARPA, has been appointed to Chairman of the Department of Homeland Security Privacy Board.

news.com.com
Nuala O'Connor Kelly, the department's chief privacy officer, nominated Rosenzweig for the job during the group's first meeting in a downtown hotel here. Rosenzweig is a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation and a former Justice Department trial attorney.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a concerning and interesting development. Mr. Rosenzweig has long been someone that seems to have considered privacy something to be circumvented, rather than protected. Combine this with another recent appointment to the DHS "Privacy Board", an executive from a known developer of SpyWare (Gator), and we see that DHS sees privacy as a problematic thing.

Related News Links:
www.house.gov
informationweek.com
www.technewsworld.com

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It makes sense-- Rosenswig, who understands the workings of defending privacy rights, turn him and he would make a far better person to destroy them. Add to that the creep who makes a living infringing on peoples privacy and you have the perfect team to quarantee the last chapter of " big Brother".

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
is it just me, or is it whenever the Federal Government creates a department, bureau, or board, whatever is listed as the name of that department is something to be limited, controlled, and metered out to the public, if at all-but still available to politicos and the influential?

Department of Alchohol, Tobacco, and Firearms-three things to be regulated, controlled, banned and/or taxed, as a notorious example.

I hate it when work interrupts in the middle of a post-now my train of thought is broken and I can't remember the others I was going to list

Now there's a board of Privacy-and it looks like it's more about deciding who gets it, how much they get, and what it costs to get it, rather than across-the-board, mandatory protection of it.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well, I remember that the Gator spyware was in hot waters back a few years ago, humm.........how in the heck this people gets appointed? and who nominates them.

Gator comes bundle with free software like free sharing music programs.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I agree SO, yet another strategic appointment to the new Ministry of Peace. It's no surprise, Rosenzweig's "connecting the dots" mantra never fails to trump the fourth amendment every time as he spinfully expounds on cultivated quotes from selected sources such as "Intelligence Wars" author Thomas Powers for example:

“In a liberal republic, liberty presupposes security; the point of security is liberty.” Thus, the obligation of the government is a dual one: to protect civil safety and security against violence and to preserve civil liberty.

To be sure, it is a difficult balance. It is far easier to eschew the effort. But failure to recognize that security need not be traded off for liberty in equal measure and that the “balance” between them is not a zero-sum game is a far greater and more fundamental mistake. Policy-MAKERS must respect and defend the individual civil liberties guaranteed in the Constitution when they act, but they also cannot fail to act when we face a serious threat from a foreign enemy.

bold added for emphasis
italics added for opaqueness/uncertainty

www.foxnews.com...

Paul Rosenzweig on Privacy:
Privacy as Consequence: Policy Conceptions for a Post 9/11 World
www.heritage.org...

He also happens to be coauthor of the upcoming book, Winning the Long War: Lessons from the Cold War for Defeating Terrorism and Preserving Freedom

[edit on 7-4-2005 by Vajrayana]

new topics

top topics

join