It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeopardy. Quiz Show or Con Game?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Do you watch Jeopardy
Its a general knowledge with all kinds of historical and science facts game show with three contestents trying to ring in
first with the correct answer. Whoever wins that day comes back the next day and so on till he or she loses.

Millions have been won on this show by some contestents that apparently have an incredible memory for data.
- But do they really

Some of the big winners in the last few years answer with such speed and assurance it is as if they are not even thinking about the answer
- Its like they already know the answer

And what I'm speculating is maybe they do know the answers because......?????

Many years ago there was a big scandal on another big game show of the era [I think it was called the $64,000 Queastion]
because a sore loser ratted the show out because he admitted to having been 'coached".

Are the winners who think like super fast computers truly gifted memorry geniuses or..........

Oddly enough this is not what got me angry with Jeopardy - The real thing that bothers me with the show is the 'pleasers', contestents
who have to say before each and every question which they ask for after getting the previous question right - they must say: PLEASE,
over and over and over please, please, please, etc.

Why
It is now maybe one in 15 contestents that shoots this angle on the show. I call it an angle because the only reason I can see for
doing the please, please mantra is to get on the nerves of the other contestents - Its got to me, just a viewer, nerves so badly I will not watch
the show when a 'pleaser' is doing his or her dirty work [my opinion]

So Jeopardy fans, or even those who just watch quiz shows like Jeopardy occasionally, what do you think.....
Is Jeopardy 100% on the up and up - Or is some type of computer/mind interface at work

And as far as the 'just say please contestents' what is the real motivation

Please give your opinion please

edit on 19-1-2023 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

I think it's been legit.

Some people have an eidetic memory...

Some people just know rando crap...

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I don't watch regularly. Mostly when I'm hanging out with friends and family.

But a lot of the time I know the answer immediately. With little practice with the buzzer it doesn't surprise me they are so quick.

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If you assume that every lottery, game show or any other giveaway is rigged to the hilt, you would be far closer to the truth.

We are seeing it now with the latest craze ... book deals, art deals and the old perennial, speaking fees.

Every thing people can rig ... is rigged.

Elections are rigged, jobs for the boys is rigged and all of that money you nicely donated to the Guide Dogs ... rigged and going to pay the exorbitant salaries of the people running the excuse of a charity.

Don't play the game!

P

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Jerry Seinfeld once said he would like to host Jeopardy for a couple days, just so he could ask contestants "How the hell did you know that."

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 10:34 PM
link   
On average, I get 80+% of the answers right, so I say legit.

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienViewI think it's honest, though at times I wonder. There have been a few times when a long winner has just folded it seems, like they were asked or told to throw the game.
The one I wonder about is Wheel of Fortune. How sometimes it seems the wheel stops slowly and sometimes it stops almost abruptly. It would be so easy to control. And the letter boxes at the end of the game. How they could have multiple answers ready to put up depending on the letters guessed.

That rigged game show, the 640000 dollar question. They did a movie about that, ''Quiz Show'.. Superb. How it was rigged and how it was found out. But better still, how it was all managed from way up on top by the network and sponsors. And America lapped it all up.

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Yes, I saw 'Quiz Show' - good movie.

And when you say "There have been a few times when a long winner has just folded it seems, like they were asked or told to throw the game." OR someone turned something off - unlikely but ?

Then I thought mind inhancing things, even legitimate ones like caffeine, herbs and vitamins, and then after so many
games the contestent 'burns out'. Then I think aren't there a whole bunch of experimental drugs being tested by
Big Pharma and the military

Are there any rules on Jeopardy about mind enhancing drugs ???

And still my favorite, and yes maybe this is sci-fi - a computer mind chip. Actually don't they already have
computer mind interfaces??? - How would you know if one was being used

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 01:10 AM
link   

For those of us who enjoy these speculations, it's fun to do so. But we are not the target audience for these games, I think it's mostly just people who don't want to question their honesty. For that matter, what could be the motive to rig these shows. Nothing more than entertainment I think. And in the case of Jeapordy, they have long winners and short winners. Run-a-way winners and close winners. Winners of both sexes and winners of people of various orientations. I just don't see the market motive for rigging the game, so, my wife and I just guess along with them....

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I used to enjoy casually watching Jeopardy! way back when... I was never an avid fan of the show (something about reaffirming just how little I know, probably) but it was good and sometimes even exciting...

But when I revisited the show (after a long lapse) suddenly half of the questions were about popular media celebrities, current hit movies or songs, and glitzy entertainment ... BOOM ... no more Jeopardy! for me...

I've never been one to consider such things as part of being "well-informed" or "smart."

I guess I'm just a snob.

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

For that matter, what could be the motive to rig these shows.

In a word MONEY and the sponsor profits caused by a larger audience.

When there are no big winners on long winning streaks I find the show boring and often fall asleep while watthching it.

Soon as they have a contestant racking up a long winning streak with lots of money the show again
becomes exciting as we watch to see how far the streak will go.

WINNING STREAKS = HIGHER RATINGS = HIGHER PAYING SPONSORS

Of course that does not prove that there is hanky pancky going on when someone wins many games
and racks up big bucks - Just saying there might be temptation to keep it going

edit on 20-1-2023 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView

Oddly enough this is not what got me angry with Jeopardy - The real thing that bothers me with the show is the 'pleasers', contestents
who have to say before each and every question which they ask for after getting the previous question right - they must say: PLEASE,
over and over and over please, please, please, etc.

As opposed to:

"I'll take Potable Potions for $400 you stupid son of a ..."

I probably overuse please and thank you when talking to people I don't know. It never hurts.

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I see your point BUT:

To me it is just as obnoxious for a contestent to keep repeating PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

LIterally I can not stand watching the show unless I watch it sound off with subtitles.

Look if a contestent got on and had a nervous facial tick it might be annoying but I would filter it out and not let it
bother me much. But this condescending use of the word PLEASE is voluntary and ECH

PLEASE underastand me please

edit on 20-1-2023 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Why anyone selects a channel to receive programming, with everything that is known about mind control and brainwashing, is beyond me.
I stopped watching any programming a few years ago and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.
What a complete waste of time, sheep be sheep.

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

I think it's been legit.

Some people have an eidetic memory...

Some people just know rando crap...

If they have literary for some reason my chemistry and biology books rarely make the cut and I am lost. I read a few of the big things like Chaucer, Shakespeare types before diving into Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov and others with great imaginations. That leaves me strong in Math/Biology/Chem and Physics but weak on Jeopardy questions. I have watched enough to know that there are people who just memorize USELESS information that is only good on Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune.

Probably most all of them are just good at remembering mostly useless information. The kind that is just part of this whole narrative that keeps people from focusing on subjects like Math and Physics who might do so otherwise. Useless information that keeps us from seeing the liars as exposed and sent away to tell their lies elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Good manners? Canadian citizens?

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ByteChanger

Good manners? Canadian citizens?

No, if you step on our foot, we say "Sorry!"

Saying please is optional...

Sorry...

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Neither. It’s entertainment……

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 02:22 PM
link   

kinda lost its charm after Alex Trebek died

i would hope that he's getting ish from the actual Sean Connery in the afterlife though

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheToastmanCometh

kinda lost its charm after Alex Trebek died

i would hope that he's getting ish from the actual Sean Connery in the afterlife though

Yes, and now that you mention it I don't recall any of the contestants saying PLEASE everytime they asked fof the next question when Alex Trebek was the host - In fact I read somewhere that contestents were told not to do thiis.

Again I was watching the show for awhile and enjoying it - For awhile there were no contestants doing the repetitive
PLEASE mantra and I was able to enjoy the show.

Until this week and the beginning of the High School reunion championship.
- It started last night with two contestants, and at one point all three of them saying PLEASE before every question.

Its like listening to a dripping faucet that if it only dripped occasionally you would not notice it, but with the obsessive
'pleasers' it is too annoying to stand - So I stopped watching the show - until they get if fixed.

PLEASE do you understand what I'm saying PLEASE

edit on 22-2-2023 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2023 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

join