It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.4 earthquake rocks parts of Northern California; 70,000 power outages reported

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Nice sized quake in North Ca. 6.4 . Current stats 70k people w/o power. Happened overnight

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake struck at 2:34 a.m. PT in Pacific Ocean waters about 7.5 miles west of Ferndale at a depth of just over 16 miles. The city is about 19 miles south of Eureka near the California and Oregon state line.

Link< br />
No tsunami warning. Didn't feel it in the North Bay, but looks like "widespread damage" to the infrastructure in Humbolt County
edit on 20-12-2022 by ATruGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

Wow that's big!

Good thing it was out to sea and deep. Had potential to do more damage than it has.

Hope that was it.
edit on 20-12-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 02:06 PM
link   
No updates?

Was it not as bad as it sounds or is it so bad the news is not getting out?

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

My son-in-law is there and working at the university, he actually slept through the quake but woke up this morning with no power. I just checked with him and they don't expect power to be restored until 10pm. The university is a few miles north of Eureka so I guess besides power issues there wasn't any damage.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

That's like a Category 1 hurricane to Wilmington, North Carolina. Call it Tuesday.

It's just easier to post the USGS summary. I can answer any Geology questions so it's not completely lazy.

Tectonic Summary

The December 20, 2022, M 6.4 earthquake occurred approximately 15 km southwest of Ferndale, California near the coast of northern California in the vicinity of the Mendocino triple junction – the region where the Pacific, North America, and Juan de Fuca/Gorda plates meet. Focal mechanism solutions indicate that rupture occurred as a result of strike-slip faulting on a steeply dipping fault striking either southeast or southwest. The location, depth and faulting mechanism indicate that this event likely occurred within the subducting Gorda Plate.

Earthquakes are common in the region around the Mendocino triple junction. Oblique motion between the southern Juan de Fuca/Gorda plate and Pacific plate causes north-south compression within the Gorda plate and right-lateral translation along the boundary between the plates. A M 6.2 event occurred approximately 20 km to the southwest of the 2022 M 6.4 earthquake one year prior, on December 20, 2021. In the past century, there have been at least 40 other earthquakes of M6 or larger, including six earthquakes M7 or larger, within 250 km of the December 20, 2022 earthquake. These prior earthquakes primarily occurred along the Mendocino transform fault, in the Cascadia subduction zone, or within the Juan de Fuca/Gorda plate.

Now that USGS did my work for me I will say a 6.0 of or greater hits the Mendecino Triple Junction area every 900 days on average.

Caltrans and utilities workers gonna love some Christmas overtime pay though. Or just be pissed they are working extra. Inspect buildings, at worst a few red tags.
edit on 20-12-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Not sure about the source or the relevance, but just saw this.

twitter.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I hope these aren't foreshocks of something bigger.

I ran across this a few minutes ago:
Doomsday plane doing racetrack patterns on the west coast of Oregon

Check out the Doomsday plane doing racetrack patterns on the west coast of Oregon…It’s a Boeing E-6B Mercury and is nicknamed the Doomsday plane.

“…..E-6B can do many things: it can perform the so-called Looking Glass mission (mirroring the ground-based C3 center at Offutt AFB and relaying orders), talk to submarines trailing a 26,000 ft wire antenna, launch commands to ICBMs (InterContinental Ballistic Missiles) via Airborne Launch Control System, and perform C3 (Command Control Communication) operations to forces operating in theatre.”

The plane is flying over the Cascadia Subduction zone… Please, don’t tell me it can trigger a powerful earthquake… This morning a M6.4 earthquake already hit Northern California just off Ferndale…

Just be ready for the Big One… [flight]

There are a couple of pictures/graphs on the link.
[strangesounds.org...]

I know nothing about this 'Doomsday Plane', but thought I'd share just because......it's ATS.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

That's why I've been telling my acquaintances not to invest in property in CA.
Every place has it's weather woes... tornadoes in the midwest, hurricanes on the atlantic and gulf coasts, floods in low lying river/marsh areas, but man, with the cost of living in CA, the risk just isn't worth it. You've gotta just love California to death to buy a property there. That's about the only good reason I can think of.

People don't realize just how often CA shakes.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: servovenford -- some areas in California do get a lot of earthquakes. North of Eureka, CA near the town of Ferndale is a good example. According to Dr. Lucy Jones, CA seismologist, there are three seismic plates meeting a few miles offshore from Ferndale. So having earthquakes there should not be a surprise. It is sad, though, that local building regulations do not require homes to be bolted to their foundations. Without such regulations in place, there is a huge risk of major damage or destruction to homes there.

One effective building strategy is having homes built on areas where there is bedrock instead of loose soil under the foundations of each house; that is a big help.

edit on 12/22/2022 by Uphill because: Added a sentence.

posted on Jan, 1 2023 @ 11:19 PM
link   
January 1, 2023

Could all the record rain falling on San Francisco,

See Here: www.breitbart.com...

Generate an Earthquake, since water is so heavy and causes so much erosion?

top topics

join