It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian crew members Are trapped aboard the International Space Station Soyuz capsule has a leak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This isn't the first time crew members were somewhat trapped on the ISS, last time they sent a remote capsule to pick them up and they might have to do the same again.

Putin has said the Russians will be performing a Special Space Operation in the perfectly fine Dragon capsule shortly.

Crewmembers Are Trapped Aboard the International Space Station Until a Leak Is Fixed—Or Rescue Arrives

time.com...

Things got dicey yesterday aboard the International Space Station (ISS). Late in the day, Russian cosmonauts Sergey Prokopyev and Dmitry Petelin were preparing for a spacewalk when exterior cameras showed a stream of white flakes pouring from the Soyuz spacecraft attached to the station. Simultaneously, telemetry indicated a drop in pressure in the Soyuz’s coolant tank, indicating that it was the source of the leak. Ground controllers ordered Prokopyev and Petelin, who were already suited up and preparing to exit the station, to scrub the spacewalk and stay indoors until the problem could be sorted out.

The development is a troubling one that could spell peril for the crew. The Soyuz that sprung the leak lifted off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Sept. 21, carrying Prokopyev, Petelin, and American astronaut Frank Rubio aloft. Spacecraft that bring crew members to the ISS remain docked to the station throughout the crew’s stay to serve both as their ride home and as a lifeboat in the event that an emergency requires them to evacuate on short notice. If the Soyuz is unsafe, the three crew members would have no immediate means of returning to Earth—and for now the outlook for the Soyuz is not good.

Rob Navias, NASA TV commentator, described the leak as “fairly significant,” adding, “No decisions have been made regarding the integrity of the Soyuz…or what the next course of action will be.” The cause of the leak, Navias said, is “unknown,” though pressure buildup within the coolant tank or even a hit from a piece of space debris could be to blame.

Prokopyev, Petelin, and Rubio are not the only crew members staffing the station. Also on board are NASA astronauts Nicole Mann and John Casada, Japanese astronaut Koichi Wakata, and Russian cosmonaut Anna Kikina. They arrived at the ISS aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft after their Oct. 5 launch. The Dragon remains docked to the station and is experiencing no problems, but on a return trip, it could accommodate only the four passengers it initially launched.

Just what the Russians will do if the Soyuz appears not to be flight worthy is unclear, but there is historical precedent for such a situation. In April 1979, a Soyuz spacecraft that was docked at the Soviet Salyut 6 space station developed a propulsion breakdown, and two months later, Russia launched an unpiloted replacement Soyuz that successfully docked and brought the crew home when their rotation was complete.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Oh man. It’s weird when life seems like there are reruns occurring. I saw the thread title and thought “I’ve seen this one before!”

I hope they get home safe. The space program has proven to bring countries together, I hope only the best for all of them as that healthy competition benefits all of humanity in our quest of space and knowledge.

get home soon ruskie bros
edit on 15-12-2022 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   
install a better Green Screen

problem solved .

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Was just reading about this-sounds pretty serious-

Given the long duration of the leak, NASA is also likely to have concerns about the impact of all that ammonia on space station surfaces and those of other docked vehicles.
Much of the ammonia would probably boil off the surface of the hardware over time, but it will certainly complicate operations

arstechnica.com...

All that ammonia boling off things like external cables,seals,solar panels may not be good for the components-especially if some is left in nooks and crannies freezing and warming.That could lead to thermal shock and cause big problems.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be that serious.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Your title is misleading. The headline is

Crewmembers Are Trapped Aboard the International Space Station Until a Leak Is Fixed—Or Rescue Arrives

Everyone is trapped not just the Russians seeing as the Russians are the only ones with a

Special Space Operation in the perfectly fine Dragon capsule
Why not just call it by its name?

This low key Russian bigotry is getting tiresome.

Why not just call it an "Orc Transport Vessel" and quit beating around the bush?

Just an opinion but the Russians should leave the other astronauts on the ISS and make their governments pay Musk to uber them back to earth with space-x. It was their faults to rely so heavily on Russia in the first place then treat them like ****.
edit on 15-12-2022 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Sounds like a good time to make it the USASS..ftw..Lets go sanitize it..Maybe El Padrone Musk will give us a lift up there..Ill smuggle him a blowtorch so he can fry monkeys on the way..Ill make him eat at least one and everything will be all gravy…no harm no foul..Onward and Upward hijas del putas.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   
That sounds like sabotage..
edit on 15-12-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Many years of wearing my tinfoil hat too tight made me think of the 9th Hopi prophecy: ' You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash.'

I hope they get the problem resolved and everybody remains safe.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Maybe this is will be a face-saving way to get rid of the ISS (with the blame being Russia's, of course) and cede space to China and their shiny new space station so the world conforms to the new paradigm of China being the superpower of the 21st century... or maybe my tinfoil hat is also on too tightly.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Sandra Bullock got home perfectly fine, I'm sure things will work out.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Parachutes? 😂

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Blue screen a reply to: lonerpt

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Your title is misleading. The headline is

Everyone is trapped not just the Russians seeing as the Russians are the only ones with a

Special Space Operation in the perfectly fine Dragon capsule
Why not just call it by its name?

This low key Russian bigotry is getting tiresome.

Why not just call it an "Orc Transport Vessel" and quit beating around the bush?

Just an opinion but the Russians should leave the other astronauts on the ISS and make their governments pay Musk to uber them back to earth with space-x. It was their faults to rely so heavily on Russia in the first place then treat them like ****.

Jeez when did ATS get so sensitive check my history LOL been called a Putin nut hugger on here too

Three Astronauts May Be Stranded on the ISS After Disturbing Soyuz Coolant Leak

BTW those Russian Orcs have been threatening nuclear war again....

FWIW the article from Gizmodo on Yahoo

news.yahoo.com...

Three Astronauts May Be Stranded on the ISS After Disturbing Soyuz Coolant Leak

A Russian spacewalk was called off on Wednesday after a Soyuz spacecraft attached to the International Space Station (ISS) started leaking coolant in low Earth orbit. For one NASA astronaut and two Russian cosmonauts on board, that could mean their ride back to Earth is suddenly gone.

edit on 15-12-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Like this is a major emergency. I'm betting that in a pinch they could have another Dragon capsule up there within a week.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Like this is a major emergency. I'm betting that in a pinch they could have another Dragon capsule up there within a week.

Did the original article say it was a major emergency? pretty sure its happened before and the original article says they had to send a remote "Soyuz"

Nice recap of some potential outcomes

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   

The cameras showed a stream of white flakes pouring from the Soyuz spacecraft attached to the station, the cause of the leak is unknown.

Hmmm...

Solution: Flex TAPE!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator

The cameras showed a stream of white flakes pouring from the Soyuz spacecraft attached to the station, the cause of the leak is unknown.

Hmmm...

Solution: Flex TAPE!!!

Well, it's not just that, it's leaking coolant and if they lose too much coolant there is a real risk of the capsule's equipment overheating to the point of failure upon a reentry attempt. The way it sounds is even if they attempt a re-entry it will be done unmanned and by remote

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

That stuff's a joke. A place I use to work at , tested it.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Russia is a little low on cash at the moment. Would it be cheaper for them to hire Elong Mush to bring them home? Elon can us the money right now.

I'm just kidding, of course (well, mostly kidding).

edit on 20/12/2022 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join