It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada considering buying P-8As

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Canada is considering moving the program to replace their CP-140 Aurora aircraft forward, and possibly buying P-8As. The program, known as the Canadian Multi-Mission Aircraft Project, was expected to begin in 2024, with bids being accepted in 2027, and first delivery in 2032. Boeing informed the Canadian government that unless more orders are received, the P-8A line may be shut down by 2025. Boeing announced in June that they had teamed with CAE, GE Aviation Canada, IMP Aerospace & Defence, KF Aerospace, Honeywell Aerospace Canada, and Raytheon Canada for a future bid on the Canadian Multi-Mission Aircraft Project.

Defence Minister Anita Anand is considering whether to push forward a multi-billion-dollar proposal to purchase new surveillance aircraft for the Canadian Forces.

Article content
The proposal to buy between eight and 12 P-8 Poseidon aircraft from Boeing in the U.S. is being examined, according to industry and defence sources. But whether it moves forward to cabinet still has to be decided.

ottawacitizen.com... aft

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 03:52 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It would make some sense with that being the route the US will be taking in regards to the replacing the P-3.

Could they be trying to force something from Airbus? Or is their maritime patrol version of the A319 dead in the water? Might Kawasaki seek a bid for the P-1?

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I'm not sure of the airframe age of the P-8A, but I was always under the assumption that Boeing would keep producing atleast into the early 2030's?
Man I have some catching up to do on aviation and the likes.
Thank you for sharing all these threads the past few days Zaph. It has been very pleasant to see new threads about one of my favorite subjects!

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

The A319 MPA won't be built until it is awarded to someone. It will be bid for the Canadian program, if plans haven't been changed radically. I would be surprised if Kawasaki didn't bid the P-1 honestly. There aren't many MPA airframes that can meet the requirements, so the bidding will be a pretty small group.

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

As of October of this year, there were 156 delivered to all customers, with 44 remaining. The Navy order is expected to be completed in early 2025. They're only being built at a rate of 1 a month now. Under Lot 11, the ROKN has six, with delivery set for next summer, the RNZAF has four on order, with the first being delivered now, and the Navy has 8 on order. Lot 12 sees Germany ordering 5, the RAAF getting two more, and the Navy getting 9. Lot 12 will be the last lot currently under contract. The Navy Program of Record is 128 aircraft, all of which have been contracted. It's possible that Saudi Arabia will place an order, as they signed an LOI in 2017, so that might stretch the production a few more years.

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 12:06 AM
link   

If Saudi Arabia goes forward will that procurement, will that possibly lower the production cost of partnership nations?

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

It would depend on how many they order. Current flyaway cost is $173M. If the Saudi Arabian order goes through, it probably won't lower the cost much. The number of aircraft is unspecified, but it's believed to be between 4 and 6 aircraft. That small an order won't see a big change in flyaway costs.

posted on Jun, 27 2023 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The State Department has approved the sale of up to 16 P-8As and support equipment. The total cost of all 16 aircraft and assorted support and equipment would be $5.9B.

posted on Jun, 27 2023 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

It would make some sense with that being the route the US will be taking in regards to the replacing the P-3.

The P-3 has been replaced for a while now. The boneyards are full of those that could not be refurbished and sold to other countries. We operate a few now, just like most of the reserve squadrons in the late 60's and early 70's did by getting extra life out of the P2 and the SP-2h when the fleet fully adopted the P-3.

The Orion went through many improvements during it's life, A,B,C, Charlie Update and weather and scientific specialties. Lockheed got a lot of miles out of this puppy, and I would think the same would happen with the Boeing P-8A. I think the Poseidon is destined for a longer life (do you agree Zaph?), but who knows what is in the skunk works, destined to replace it.

I loved the P-3C and had a lot of hours in it as well as in the SP-2H. That was a great time in my life.

edit on 27-6-2023 by charlyv because: sp

new topics

top topics

join