It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United announces largest widebody order in US airline history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   
United announced today that they have placed an order with Boeing for 100 787 Dreamliners, with the option for 100 more. Deliveries begin in 2024, and run through 2032. United has the option to choose any of the three 787 models for the order. At list prices, the order comes in somewhere around $25B, however they will negotiate a pretty steep discount, although final cost won't be disclosed. The aircraft will be used to replace the 767s, and 777s currently operated. The 767 will be retired from United service by 2030.

United also exercised their option for 44 more 737 Max from a previous order, and ordered 56 as part of a new order. It's believed that of the 100 ordered, 80 will be the Max 10, which is still awaiting certification. This will push the order book for the 10 to over 1,000 aircraft by airlines around the world. United plans on taking delivery of up to 700 aircraft by the end of 2032.

United has just announced an order for up to 200 Boeing 787s, including 100 firm orders and 100 options. This is the largest wide body aircraft order by a US airline in commercial aviation history. United is expected to take delivery of these planes between 2024 and 2032. Furthermore, United has flexibility as to what combination of Boeing 787 variants it picks up, so these could include the -8, -9, and/or -10.

100 of these Boeing 787s will be used to replace older aircraft in United’s fleet, including Boeing 767s and Boeing 777s. United will remove the 767 from its fleet by 2030, resulting in up to an expected 25% decrease in carbon emissions per seat.

United had been trying to decide between the Boeing 787 and Airbus A350, and clearly Boeing won out. United already has an all-Boeing wide body fleet. The airline flies 767-300ERs, 767-400ERs, 777-200ERs, 777-300ERs, 787-8s, 787-9s, and 787-10s. The 767s are an average of 24 years old, the 777s are an average of 18 years old, and the 787s are an average of five years old, so it makes sense how those 767s and 777s will eventually be replaced.

onemileatatime.com...

edit on 12/13/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/13/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Will or is United operating in China ? Forgot what city in China that has the worlds largest air terminal. I wonder if any of these orders will be of Chinese ownership ?

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I got spoiled on the 787, what a nice quiet airplane. The windows would dim, so you could still look out but not bother people trying to sleep. It was a United plane.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

China doesn't own any United planes. That's not how it works.

(post by musicismagic removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: Zaphod58

True, but under the Biden Administration, anything concerning China wouldn't surprise me at all.

You wouldn’t be surprised if a US publicly traded company ordered regular commercial jets and just gave them to China?

What’s the end game there.

Biden may not be the toughest on China, but the whole “they own him” narrative is mostly hyperbole comparable to “Trump is a Russian asset”.

Look into the chips act. See how they’re doing after that.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Huzzah for Boeing. How many of these will be manufactured in Seattle?

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: Zaphod58

True, but under the Biden Administration, anything concerning China wouldn't surprise me at all.

You wouldn’t be surprised if a US publicly traded company ordered regular commercial jets and just gave them to China?

What’s the end game there.

Biden may not be the toughest on China, but the whole “they own him” narrative is mostly hyperbole comparable to “Trump is a Russian asset”.

Look into the chips act. See how they’re doing after that.

Is America building a chip plant in Texas ? Or what State is it in?

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: greendust

All of the 737s are produced in Renton, so all of those will be built there. The 787 production was all moved to Charleston last year. So at least 100 will be built in the Seattle area.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
I got spoiled on the 787, what a nice quiet airplane. The windows would dim, so you could still look out but not bother people trying to sleep. It was a United plane.

The 787 is a great airplane. I got spoiled when I was traveling all the time for business across the Atlantic when I was riding on 747s and A380s because of the four engine aspect of it. Realistically, however the 787 and A350NEO provide a better overall passenger experience.

posted on Dec, 13 2022 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

If only united had treated me better during the pandemic years. They can kick rocks and f#&% off now. Same as basically everyone but delta. The only time I fly anyone else is when they're the only ones offering the straight flight. Airlines got too big for their breeches and acted out of turn... Now they get to pay...

posted on Dec, 15 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
With this order, United now expects to take delivery of 700 new planes by 2032. If the deliveries are on schedule, they'll receive two a week in 2023, and three a week in 2024.

new topics

top topics

join