It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest known galaxies spotted by James Webb Space Telescope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 12:10 AM
link   
News Source

NASA says galaxies date back to fewer than 400 million years after the Big Bang

A group of international astronomers has used data from the James Webb Space Telescope to report the discovery of the earliest galaxies confirmed to date.

In work, which NASA noted has not yet been peer-reviewed, the scientists found that the light from these galaxies has taken more than 13.4 billion years to reach Earth because the galaxies date back to fewer than 400 million years after the Big Bang.

Previous data from Webb had provided candidates for infant galaxies and the targets have been confirmed by obtaining spectroscopic observations.

Four of the galaxies were revealed to be unprecedentedly early, lying at redshifts above 10, or when the universe was approximately 330 million years old.

"For the first time, we have discovered galaxies only 350 million years after the Big Bang, and we can be absolutely confident of their fantastic distances," co-author Brant Robertson, from the University of California Santa Cruz and a member of the NIRCam science team, said. "To find these early galaxies in such stunningly beautiful images is a special experience."

While I grasp the significance of the report, I found myself questioning something taken for granted... had I not heard that the very same JWT had discovered information that put the entire "Big Bang Theory" into question? It was something about the lack of evidence for the "inflation hypothesis."

Anyway, I notice a sudden explosion of copy-cat reporting that "JWT didn't disprove the big bang theory" (there's like a million fresh links defending the Big Bang Theory) ... and I wonder - all that effort to say "no." Is this superfluous inquiry?

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

"For the first time, we have discovered galaxies only 350 million years after the Big Bang, and we can be absolutely confident of their fantastic distances,"

When you consider it took about 100 million years for our Solar System to form 350 million years for an entire Galaxy seems like a very short period of time after the Big Bang , how did the Super Massive Black Hole form in such a short time to host the Galaxy's creation in an even shorter time.
Personally I think the Big Bang and more especially the inflation hypothesis are place holders until we gain more information on the real nature of the beginning.

James Webb has only just started its mission and already it is raising significant questions , the big question is can we handle the truth ?

edit on 11-12-2022 by gortex because: edit to add video

join