It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VR headset that explodes your head for real.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 10:13 AM
link   

The man who created the Oculus Rift has invented a virtual reality headset that will explode the forebrain of a user who dies in a video game.

The man who created the Oculus Rift has invented a virtual reality headset that will explode the forebrain of a user who dies in a video game.

That is the title of the article I will link below.

The title says it all really, and my mind was blown reading the article this morning.

I didn't think they were serious until I read the entire thing but no, this thing actually exists now.

I can imagine this technology will be perfected and used somehow in the metaverse of the future.

No comply? OK. Brain explode.

Would anybody be brave enough to play the game?

If someone signs a waiver would it be legal to let them play?

www.vice.com...

Palmer Luckey, defense contractor and the father of modern virtual reality, has created a VR headset that will kill the user if they die in the game they’re playing. He did this to commemorate the anime, Sword Art Online. Luckey is the founder of Oculus, a company he sold to Facebook in 2014 for $2 billion. This is the technology that Mark Zuckerberg rebranded as the foundation for Meta. 
Luckey’s killer headset looks like a Meta Quest Pro hooked up with three explosive charge modules that sit above the screen. The charges are aimed directly at the user's forebrain and, should they go off, would obliterate the head of the user.

edit on 14-11-2022 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

That is the title of the article I will link below.

The title says it all really, and my mind was blown reading the article this morning.

I didn't think they were serious until I read the entire thing but no, this thing actually exists now.

I can imagine this technology will be perfected and used somehow in the metaverse of the future.

No comply? OK. Brain explode.

Would anybody be brave enough to play the game?

If someone signs a waiver would it be legal to let them play?

www.vice.com...

Palmer Luckey, defense contractor and the father of modern virtual reality, has created a VR headset that will kill the user if they die in the game they’re playing. He did this to commemorate the anime, Sword Art Online. Luckey is the founder of Oculus, a company he sold to Facebook in 2014 for $2 billion. This is the technology that Mark Zuckerberg rebranded as the foundation for Meta. 
Luckey’s killer headset looks like a Meta Quest Pro hooked up with three explosive charge modules that sit above the screen. The charges are aimed directly at the user's forebrain and, should they go off, would obliterate the head of the user.

You should read the article; this was a cosplay holloween costume and a "Thought" experiment. It's not real, nor does Palmer Luckey want it to be; he just glued some foam to the headset and the article was written poorly.

It says so IN the article, if you actually read it.
edit on 14-11-2022 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

This has been posted here already.

That said, I'm all for it. If you're dumb enough to try it, you deserve the Darwin award.

Actions have consequences. I'm for legalized drugs too. If you want to blow your money on a potentially deadly substance, who am I to judge?

Ain't my circus, ain't my monkeys!

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime

Unable to make the perfect recreation, Luckey opted for explosive modular charges. He tied them to a narrow-band photo sensor that detects the headset views a specific red screen that flashes at a specific frequency. “When an appropriate game-over screen is displayed, the charges fire, instantly destroying the brain of the user,” Luckey said. 

What about all this???

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I was going to do this very Vice article yesterday, but my mind was confused to whether it was REALLY true. I still can't wrap my head around it.

So it is.

Next up the Running Man Games.
Artist reenactment...
youtu.be...

Right up there with legalized euthanasia.

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

It is nice to finally learn what happened to my brain.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Death cult.

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I would call it the Darwinator.

The guy that built this is by his own admission to frightened to try and test it. I can think of no reason why that is 🙄

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
I would call it the Darwinator.

The guy that built this is by his own admission to frightened to try and test it. I can think of no reason why that is 🙄

He says the only reason he won't play is because the execution might happen prematurely due to a glitch or error.

Otherwise idk

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 11:46 AM
link   
That reads like an excuse. Because he could just replace the explosives with confetti and test that. Then test the explosives without a human. One can never exclude glitches either from happening.

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   

“The idea of tying your real life to your virtual avatar has always fascinated me—you instantly raise the stakes to the maximum level and force people to fundamentally rethink how they interact with the virtual world and the players inside it,” Luckey wrote in a blog post explaining the project. “Pumped up graphics might make a game look more real, but only the threat of serious consequences can make a game feel real to you and every other person in the game.”

This part I found eerie and foreboding.

This is what I mean by tptb using this technology in the future somehow tied to our nuero link, social credit, crime potential, compliance ect.....

You know the Trans human 1%ers are all over it.

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
That reads like an excuse. Because he could just replace the explosives with confetti and test that. Then test the explosives without a human. One can never exclude glitches either from happening.

True...

I think it sounds like an excuse as well.

I wouldn't try.

What if there was money or freedom on the line?

Then I may.

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Death cult.

Death cult.

posted on Nov, 14 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I could agree with this for death row prisoners.

Peeps can watch the game be played and the perp gets killed or a following. Play well enough and you get a pardon.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Anybody who chooses to play, Deserves to die. Natural selection hard at work.

join