It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palmer Luckey Made a VR Headset That Kills the User If They Die in the Game

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Have you seen the film 'Ready Player One'?

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I was just responding to your statement that:

originally posted by: Zaphod58
You guys do realize he did it based on an anime series, right? He’s not making an actual headset that kills the user. He’s trying to make a headset based on the one in the series that allows a full VR experience. In the series, the creator of the game trapped players in the game, and if they died in the game, the headset killed them.

He did make an actual headset that kills the user (if they get killed in game). How do you know he's not making it for actual use? And, even if he's not making it for actual use, what's to preclude others from doing the same for actual use????

You don't see this as opening Pandora's box?

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Yes, I have. Your point? We're nowhere near a system that would be useful in any serious capacity. They can't even develop a full VR setup that works well yet. One guy making an art project homage to an anime/novel series isn't us developing VR systems that will kill you in real life.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Yes, I have. Your point? We're nowhere near a system that would be useful in any serious capacity. They can't even develop a full VR setup that works well yet. One guy making an art project homage to an anime/novel series isn't us developing VR systems that will kill you in real life.

You're very trusting in strangers....

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

That was the point he was making in all those interviews. Yes, eventually we will have a setup like that. But this is nothing but an homage to an anime series. It's an actual headset, but it isn't one that's going to see anything but his office right now. We don't even know if it's an actual working headset, or just something he built as a demonstrator type setup that doesn't actually work. He's not developing a killer headset that's going to see the shelf, or the battlefield. That was the point I was making.

If you think SAO is the first story to talk about dying in VR killing you in real life, or that this is the first time this has come up, you need to watch more sci-fi. The difference here is that a fan of a popular series decided to make an art project for his office. I read stories like that when I was a kid. It was always just a matter of time before it was developed. Pandoras Box was already opened. As he said, this won't be the last time someone comes up with a helmet like this. Eventually someone is going to build an actual working setup that will kill you if you die in VR.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Anyone that thinks it's ok to be developing a headset that cannot be removed that can kill you.....is not right in the head.

edit on 9-11-2022 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   

No I'm not. I fully expect a setup like this to be around in the next 10-20 years. But currently the technology is still in very early stages. Full body haptic suits have only just hit the market. The setup that he's talking about in SAO, that this is based on, was nothing but a VR visor that you wear, and you get a full VR experience.

But hey, you guys want to believe that he's developed a full VR experience headset that will kill you in reality, and it's going to be on the battlefield or store shelves, who am I to try to stop you. Obviously nothing I can say is going to change anyone's mind, so there's not any point in trying anymore. Have fun with believing anything on the internet.
edit on 11/9/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/9/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The point is, if it can't be removed then it's not consensual...... that's a weapon against the person wearing it.....like a gun against your head.

And no one is talking about full body suits (except you)....... it's a headset.
edit on 9-11-2022 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I can't remember the name of the movie, I watched it a several years. It was a Christian armageddon type of movie where the anti-christ came into power. The government created and sent everyone a VR headset. Everyone was suppose to wear it at a particular time for this great reveal. The program was to accept the anti-christ and align with him or be beheaded in the vr program. When the person died in vr, they died in real life.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:08 PM
link   
And eat unicorn farts.
a reply to: musicismagic

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Still see zero positive. Sword art weebdom aside.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Notabot12345666

Did he find a loophole Jack kevorkian could not?

I wouldn't know the legals. The description of the VR game where the real person dies when the player dies would lend itself to suicide quite well.

One would simply choose to lose.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 03:32 AM
link   
He could market bit tobciubtriesbthat do assisted suicide

As sick as that IA

Whether it's am actual thing or not

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

edit on 10-11-2022 by neo96 because: NeVerMiNd.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Ugh .....I mean he could market it to countries who do assisted suicide.....my phone hates me see above

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.
This is absolutely insane

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The way it ia written I thought it was real until Zaphod58 came along to explain it.
After reading that Luckey was not ready to try it out himself (who in their right would), I was thinking how could it be possible to test?
Sorry but me mind immediately thought of prisoners on death row that are going to be executed & other opt would be they can avoid the immediate death by playing the game & living as long as they can "stay alive".
I know that is sick, sorry & I have not seen any "Saw" movies nor 'Ready Player One'. I am not into gore but love psychological thrillers & things like Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, Aliens & etc...
Thanks Zaph for jumping in, me mind will stop wondering now...LOL

Cheers
Ektar

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join