It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Webb Takes a Stunning, Star-Filled Portrait of the Pillars of Creation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm gobsmacked at how beautiful and detailed this image is. The best look at the famous Pillars of Creation we've had ever.

The Pillars of Creation are set off in a kaleidoscope of colour in the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope’s near-infrared-light view. The pillars look like arches and spires rising out of a desert landscape, but are filled with semi-transparent gas and dust, and ever changing. This is a region where young stars are forming – or have barely burst from their dusty cocoons as they continue to form.

esawebb.org...

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Simply Amazing...

And somehow, its a question whether even one of those stars has a rock with intelligent life revolving around it.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   

How old is the light that we're seeing? Do the pillars even exist anymore or are we seeing light from long passed?

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

How old is the light that we're seeing? Do the pillars even exist anymore or are we seeing light from long passed?

They are 6,500 light-years away, so we're seeing them as they were 6,500 years ago. The structure might have changed quite a bit in the meanwhile, due to stellar winds and supernova shocks.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   
OH wow.

That makes the earth and human problems seem so insignificant sometimes.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   

same picture we've seen 1000 times just a littler sharper... For 10BN i am expecting ground breaking not medicore.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Simply Amazing...

And somehow, its a question whether even one of those stars has a rock with intelligent life revolving around it.

I really hope there is at least one intelligent species on a planet near to the pillars of creation,because just imagine the view they would have in their sky..
I wonder how that would form their ideas seeing such magnificence up close.

We are blessed enough with our beautiful milky way sky,but the pillars are another level of awesome.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Tell me about it. Point at the star only 4 light years away and let’s see what turns up.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: seedofchucky

same picture we've seen 1000 times just a littler sharper... For 10BN i am expecting ground breaking not medicore.

Just a little sharper?.. Have you seen the full-resolution version? cdn.esawebb.org...
There's an incredible amount of detail there.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:51 AM
link   

We don't have a time lapse of these yet? Always made me think of clouds building without the extra compression.

Crazier when you realize and understand how big that actually is. Better yet how small we really are.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's absolutely incredible, I could get lost just looking and wondering many things and thoughts

here's what our capabilities were in 1994 and 2014 in comparison

edit on 19-10-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   
When you imagine the religion and mythology and lore we have and then try to guess what the guys living with that up close and personal when they look up it boggles the mind.

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

Simply Amazing...

I really hope there is at least one intelligent species on a planet near to the pillars of creation,because just imagine the view they would have in their sky..

We are blessed enough with our beautiful milky way sky,but the pillars are another level of awesome.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
When you imagine the religion and mythology and lore we have and then try to guess what the guys living with that up close and personal when they look up it boggles the mind.

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

Simply Amazing...

I don't have the details in front of me, but my guess is that this visual wasn't anything near "up close and personal" when the earth even formed- let alone when life on earth became a thing

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 05:28 PM
link   
No I meant If there's life on planets that are nearby to it not that I thought the earth was at one point close enough for us to see it.

A planet close by that life evolved on would have some really cool origin theories I'd imagine.

a reply to: lordcomac

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Some of the incredible detail from the new image - jets from still-forming stars.

"Along the edges of the pillars are wavy lines that look like lava. These are ejections from stars that are still forming. Young stars periodically shoot out jets that can interact within clouds of material, like these thick pillars of gas and dust. This sometimes also results in bow shocks, which can form wavy patterns like a boat does as it moves through water. These young stars are estimated to be only a few hundred thousand years old, and will continue to form for millions of years."
esawebb.org...

top topics

join