It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soaring Dollar Leaves Food Piled Up in Ports as World Hunger Grows

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2022 @ 02:02 PM
link   
CNN warns problems won't go away

www.cnn.com...

And he doesn’t see an end to either issue anytime soon.

“We’ve already increased the prices that we were expecting this year, but I’m predicting that next year, inflation will continue, and as a consequence [we] will have other rounds of price increases,” Patricio said in an interview with CNN Business.
“Every day we have a new problem. It’s the new normal,” he said. “At the beginning we thought it was a crisis — now we know it’s a new normal and we have to adapt to that.” He later added: “If you predict that that’s gonna be a problem, you can go faster. If you adapt faster, you can win. And this is what we’re trying to do.”

Those supply issues are broader than the Covid era, however. A crushing three-year drought has led to a shortage of tomatoes, for example.

“Every day there’s a shortage of something,” Patricio said. “It doesn’t help [that] with the global warming that the crops have not been good. So there’s lack of tomatoes in the world, there’s lack of potatoes in the world, there’s lack of beans in the world.”

some of us are very blessed to live in the USA

happily, some of the Ukraine product is shipping out
www.world-grain.com...

Ukraine was unable to export any grain from its Black Sea ports for five months after Russia invaded the country on Feb. 24. But in late July, Russia reached an agreement, brokered by the United Nations and Turkey, to withdraw its naval blockade from the Ukrainian ports. Since then, grain shipments from those ports have steadily increased, sending much-needed grain to countries that traditionally have been dependent on imports from Ukraine.

With the war between Russia and Ukraine still ongoing, Russia recently indicated it may not be willing to extend the deal, which is set to expire in late November, due to concerns that efforts have not been made to facilitate Russia’s fertilizer and grain exports.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reliefweb.int...

The world is facing the worst hunger crisis in modern history. Globally, as many as 60 million children under five could be acutely malnourished by the end of 2022, according to the World Food Programme. The WFP estimates the number of people facing, or at risk of, acute food insecurity has increased to 345 million in 82 countries from 135 million in 53 countries pre-pandemic.

Enabling this crisis is a deadly cocktail of four factors: conflict, climate change, COVID-19, and the cost-of-living crisis, fueled by the economic fallout of the war in Ukraine.

it's this bad when the world has a fair amount of food.
imagine what things would be like if we had serious food shortages; if the US had massive drought, for instance. or lost 30% if its farmland to Yellowstone.

recently I haven't seen much on this topic. I guess people get bored with it. (famine in the third world? is that still going on?)

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

recently I haven't seen much on this topic. I guess people get bored with it. (famine in the third world? is that still going on?)

I see and hear it all the time where I am, but it is in the form of foodbank usage, which has gone up substantially and I am not in a third world country.
edit on q00000043131America/Chicago2626America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2023 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
a reply to: ElGoobero

I see and hear it all the time where I am, but it is in the form of foodbank usage, which has gone up substantially and I am not in a third world country.

if the media establishment doesn't report it, it doesn't seem to exist

thanks for the post. I like to know what's going on outside my little circle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join