It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so i was eating and the wild boar wanted to grab my food

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

What we have here are wild boar crossed with Tamworth pigs that were released deliberately then managed in a deniable manner. One fairly senior forestry offiical when challenged on the damage they caused said "That's partly my fault.'" Then clammed up and refused to say another word. They are being promoted on one hand by delusional rewilders who want them to be viewed as real wild boar when they are clearly not, growing much larger than true wild boar and having many more offspring. On the other hand hunters out to prove themselves want to call them wild boar to spice up their hunting stories. It doesn't sound so tough to say I went out and shot a friendly feral pig.

I've had a group of males panic and run in all directions when I stumbled across them alone in the dark. I stood still knowing I'd be knocked flying if one of the short-sighted creatures ran straight into me. Another time I disturbed an enormous male. He was clearly annoyed and trotted off grumbling in an almost human way. I've had piglets approach to within six feet from behind when I was lighting a fire. I've also had one circle the camp at night grunting threateningly. Crazy, I know, but I walked towards it singing a gentle song and it moved off.

A man who has been radio tracking them for years says, 'I have to say sows with newborn piglets can be very dangerous because that is conventional wisdom. But actually I've walked straight into them in thick undergrowth several times over the years and they've never shown aggression.'

Keeping it real I expect an injured hiker or a child to be eaten alive some time. But so far this is all that has happened, www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk... Unless fatalities are being covered up as with the big cat attacks, similar to the cover up of mountain lion attacks on your side of the pond.
edit on 2 10 2022 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 02:45 AM
link   
The scarriest experience in my life by far was spending the night in a tent with a wild boar sow and young sniffing around outside for a few hours. Being less than a foot away from their snout was quite the experience.

Knew not to move or make a sound as sows with young are very dangerous when spooked but only had a tent peg to defend myself with for what felt like hours until they got bored and left.

Was completely my own fault as I'd put all my used cooking pans in the tent instead of up a tree or a safe distance from my tent. Never made that mistake again.

Still suprised the local wild boar park (Bowland UK) encourages 5 - 7 year old kids to walk through the boar woods but I guess they're used to humans and not truly wild.

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

I'm surprised at the negligent way children are allowed to approach them.

Scariest experience camping in Gloucestershires was waking from deep sleep and looking straight into the mouth of a snarling black leopard five yards away. Threw my arm up in front of my face and remained almost paralysed by shock in a hyper-alert state for I don't know how long until I eventually fell back asleep. Leopard sauntered off having made his point. I think he was just objecting to my snoring.

Also had a leopard batt my head when I was sleeping outside. It jumped away when I sat up shouting and clapping my hands. I promptly got in my car which was fortunately very closeby. Ten days later it prowled past my tent. I shone a very bright torch I'd bought after the batting experience and shouted. It left. Five months later it came back and roared from I guess thirty yards away. This is exactly what I heard.

Still camping there but expecting another encounter sometime. Feel safer with the leopard than cycling on the roads.

You're welcome to join me camping on the leopard's hunting trail. It's private land and I have permission to be there. Send a pm if you like the idea. I'm signing out now so it may take a couple of days to answer.

edit on 2 10 2022 by Kester because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join