It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angelic names

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This may seem like a silly question, but if most angelic names end in "el", like Michael, Gabriel, Uriel, etc...then why doesn't the infamous fallen angels' name follow the same naming convention a?

I've heard of Satan being Satanael, but what about Lucifer?

Was the name changed after the fall? Do they lose their "el" when they fall?

And if so, what used to be Lucifer's true angelic name?

Luciferael?

Lucifanael?

Just wondering.
edit on 26-9-2022 by Privy_Princess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2022 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Privy_Princess

Apocryphal text.

Read The Book of Enoch. (4th centiry BCE) I know King James and The Council of Trent decided it was unnecessary, but it's one of the best Hebrew canon texts written. It just contradicts revelation so they removed it after the first printing of The King James Version.

Therein was the first mention of the 7 Archangels. It also provides the reader with the explanation for; origin of demons, Nephilim, why certain angels fell, why the flood was morally necessary, and was the first apocalyptic Hebrew text with a prophetic vision for the 1000 year reign of the prophet.

Who still has 218 years until arrival...

It also may have something to do with Hebrew itself.

E.g. Michael = Mikha'el, Gabriel = Gabriʾel

edit on 26-9-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2022 @ 10:20 PM
link   
You are very informed. Good post!
You base the return of Christ on the Jewish calender once it hits 6000 AD?

No one knows the date or time however we are given signs to watch out for which are already here however is it bad enough as in the days Noah? I think so....animal DNA and human DNA cloning has been here for decades...pedophile acceptance...

IMO now that LGBTQ group is in control of USA politics with torturing children transgenders, little girls having their breast removed...etc..

Yea....I think we are closer than most think.

originally 6posted by: Degradation33

Read The Book of Enoch. I know King James and The Council of Trent decided it was bad, but it's one of the best Hebrew canon texts written. It just contradicts revelation so they removed it after the first printing of The King James Version.

Therein was the first mention of the 7 Archangels. It also provide the reader with the explanation for; demons, Nephilim, why certain angels fell, why the flood was morally necessary, and finally the first apocalyptic Hebrew text with a prophetic vision for the 1000 year reign of the prophet.

Who still has 218 years until arrival.

edit on 26-9-2022 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2022 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Yes. I was basing it on the Jewish eschatology. Who knows who has the dates right. Hebrews just backtracked their "genetic history" 3300 years later. And pretty much everything like that to the modern Jewish perspective is just parable. You'd be hard pressed to find a Jew who says anything other then "The Earth is 4.5 billion years old".

But back to the topic.

The choice of names was likely a literary device similar to alliteration, only using ending sounds.

As for Lucifer. You judge Isaiah 14:12 for yourself. The context of referring to Heylel/Lucifer as Satan came around the time of Luke's composition. Before that it was generally considered that Isaiah was about the fall of the Babylonian king.

biblehub.com...

Hebrew version translates more like this:

איך נפלת משמים הילל בן־שחר נגדעת לארץ חולש על־גוים

How did you fall from the sky Heylel Ben-Shahar. You landed in the land of power over the Gentiles.

Or even:

נפלת משמים הילל בן שחר נגדעת לארץ חולש על גוים

"You fell from the sky, howling son of Shahar, you landed in the land of power over the nations"

And as Helel and Shahar indicates it is rooted in Canaanite legend:

"Lucifer" or "Day-star" (Hebrew: הילל hēylēl, from הלל hâlal, "to shine")...

The New Oxford Annotated Bible suggests the correlation with "a Canaanite myth of the gods Helel and Shahar (Morning Star and Dawn), who fall from heaven as a result of rebellion."

It's a transliterated mess really.

This site has a great answer. They use this version:

"How you are fallen from heaven, Heylel, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, who laid the nations low!"

www.biblestudytools.com...

How art thou fallen from heaven

This is not to be understood of the fall of Satan, and the apostate angels, from their first estate, when they were cast down from heaven to hell, though there may be an allusion to it; see ( Luke 10:18 ) but the words are a continuation of the speech of the dead to the king of Babylon, wondering at it, as a thing almost incredible, that he who seemed to be so established on the throne of his kingdom, which was his heaven, that he should be deposed or fall from it...

O Heylel (Lucifer), son of the morning!

alluding to the star Venus, which is the phosphorus or morning star, which ushers in the light of the morning, and shows that day is at hand; by which is meant, not Satan, who is never in Scripture called Lucifer, though he was once an angel of light, and sometimes transforms himself into one, and the good angels are called morning stars, ( Job 38:7 ) and such he and his angels once were; but the king of Babylon is intended, whose royal glory and majesty, as outshining all the rest of the kings of the earth, is expressed by those names; and which perhaps were such as he took himself, or were given him by his courtiers.

edit on 27-9-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2022 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The names are hidden from us now. One was named Apollyon. The name ending in el I thought was a grammar style of Hebrew?

In the Book of Enoch there is a list of the fallen angels by name who Enoch was approached to speak to God to ask for forgiveness for their sins (denied). If you knew the exact name of each fallen one, it is believed you could call on them to come into this world. That is likely why it was excluded from the Canonized Bible.

Lucifer being known as the Light Bringer was so brilliant that he believed he could be God. He is, by virtue of being trapped in a Prison affectively, the prince/little g god of this Earth until the return of the Christ. Satan is one of the names we give Lucifer but that could be a different evil one.

We are given a choice between participating in doing good or evil each day. To love our neighbors or not to love is our choice.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 03:22 AM
link   
My take is that lucifer and Satan are tittles and the ones ending in el are proper names referencing GOD.

I’ll read the other posts and see how I went.

I love this aspect of ATS. It’s one area of learning that this place shifts into over drive
thanks peeps. You dude(ttes) rock
edit on 27-9-2022 by Dalamax because: Accolades and thanksgivings

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So, where does the name Semyaza, and the story of Tartaurus come from ? I always thought that tale and the seven angelic governors was of Hebrew origin. Cannanite ? Babylonian captivity ?

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 02:54 PM
link   

The original name of Lucifer in Hebrew did end in el. In Hebrew it is הֵילֵל or hel'el
I think Lucifer comes from Greek: eosfóros

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomerdude
So, where does the name Semyaza, and the story of Tartaurus come from ? I always thought that tale and the seven angelic governors was of Hebrew origin. Cannanite ? Babylonian captivity ?

The names come from the Book of Enoch (Tartarus is actually a Greek myth that appears to be reworked here), which places it around 200 BC for the oldest sections (the youngest part of the book may date to 160 AD). So it was written after the Babylonian captivity and after the Maccabee revolt.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: boomerdude

The names come from the Book of Enoch (Tartarus is actually a Greek myth that appears to be reworked here), which places it around 200 BC for the oldest sections (the youngest part of the book may date to 160 AD). So it was written after the Babylonian captivity and after the Maccabee revolt.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

I think it is likely a Greek myth too. I do like exploring the concept with dismissal as such based on the fact that all myths have some major truths in them that have been twisted in some way. The part where the Tartarian buildings are the same buildings that have several hidden floors that are no longer used is most intriguing because those buildings do exist. Existing requires a theory and a recently destroyed civilization that we are waking back up from the downfall makes me take notice that these things exist.
ETA
There are threads on ATS about the mud floods the covered this in detail.

In fact these spectacular buildings were supposedly built with nothing more than horses for power, with block and tackle that clearly had no way to lift these things to the places they sit on those "modern" buildings of the 16th century. They couldn't build that stuff in months as some of them were stated to be, just based on the technology a couple of centuries away wasn't in the picture yet.

edit on 27-9-2022 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Among the Hebrew words that are translated “God” is ʼEl, probably meaning “Mighty One; Strong One.” (Ge 14:18) It was common among Hebrews to use Hebrew words in personal names, so that the name has a meaning. For Hebrews, Jews and Israelites it was common to give their children names that contained some meaning related to God (or information about God, or glorifying/drawing attention to some aspect of God). For example, the name Uriel (U·riʹel) means "God Is Light". It's not a name given for any angel in the Bible though (when I say the Bible, I'm not talking about apocryphal texts). 3 people are referred to as Uriel in the Bible, but no angels among them. The other names you mentioned have the following meanings:

(Miʹcha·el) [Who Is Like God?].

(Gaʹbri·el) [Able-Bodied One of God]. The only holy angel other than Michael named in the Bible; the only materialized angel to give his name.

"Lucifer" comes from the Latin Vulgate translation of the Hebrew word heh·lelʹ (“shining one”). Heh·lelʹ is not a name or a title but, rather, a term describing the boastful position taken by Babylon’s dynasty of kings of the line of Nebuchadnezzar. (Isa 14:4-21) Since Babylon was a tool of Satan, its “king” reflected Satan’s own ambitious desire. But it is not another name for Satan the Devil.

Satan in turn means "resister". The Scriptures indicate that the creature known as Satan did not always have that name. Rather, this descriptive name was given to him because of his taking a course of opposition and resistance to God. The name he had before this is not given.

The video below explains theophoric names (also names used in the Bible with a meaning, in this case by combining part of God's personal name with a Hebrew word):

If you want to find out what other names used in the Bible mean, you can type in the name in the searchbox on the page linked below, then pick the result from "Insight on the Scriptures". For example:

Daniel (Insight on the Scriptures)

(Danʹi·el) [My Judge Is God].

Some biblical names that don't end with "el" (called a "suffix" in the video further above, in contrast to a "prefix", which is at the beginning of the name). Copy-pasting from the same source (different pages, where you can often find more information about why they were given this name, or why the name is quite appropiate):

(Aʹbra·ham) [Father of a Crowd (Multitude)]. The name given by Jehovah to Abram (meaning “Father Is High (Exalted)”) when he was 99 years old, and when God was reaffirming His promise that Abraham’s offspring would become many.​—Ge 17:5.

(Iʹsaac) [Laughter]. The birth of Isaac was under the most unusual circumstances. Both his father and his mother were very old, his mother long before having stopped menstruating. (Ge 18:11) So when God told Abraham that Sarah would give birth to a son, he laughed over the prospect, saying: “Will a man a hundred years old have a child born, and will Sarah, yes, will a woman ninety years old give birth?” (Ge 17:17) Upon learning what was to take place, Sarah laughed too. Then, “at the appointed time” the following year, the child was born, proving that nothing is “too extraordinary for Jehovah.” (Ge 18:9-15) Sarah then exclaimed: “God has prepared laughter for me,” adding, “everybody hearing of it will laugh at me.” And so, just as Jehovah had said, the boy was appropriately named Isaac, meaning “Laughter.”​—Ge 21:1-7; 17:19.

(Jaʹcob) [One Seizing the Heel; Supplanter]. Son of Isaac and Rebekah, and younger twin brother of Esau. In her pregnancy, Rebekah was distressed by the struggling of the twins within her womb, which, Jehovah explained, were the beginnings of two opposing nations. Furthermore, Jehovah declared that, contrary to custom, the older would serve the younger. Accordingly, the second-born Jacob was holding the heel of Esau at their birth; hence the name Jacob, meaning “One Seizing the Heel.” (Ge 25:22-26)

(Job) [Object of Hostility]. Anyone familiar with the story about Job does not have to wonder whose hostility he primarily attracted and why.
edit on 28-9-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 11:04 AM
link   
EL used to be another word for God and rooted from Babylon or Mesopotamia in general, like Yahweh though it actual pronunciation is lost.

Satan an Lucifer are two entirely different characters with differing meanings, contexts, an applications that ended up being being just one an the same. Satan original name is Samael(Venom of God, or Blind God in Gnostics)an maybe Azazel in others, while Lucifer is a title of sorts, like Morning Star or even Light Bearer, an comes from Latin, an was even applied to one Babylons rulers in the Bible.

Satanael might of been used, but I think it was used for Gnostics an probably applied to Jupiter working for or rebeling against Saturn in grand scheme of things. The Greek god Zeus is even consider Satan, in the bible along with Baal(meant Lord btw) whom get called Beezlebub around the crucifixion, both were thunder gods.
edit on 28-9-2022 by Proto88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   

most angelic names end in "el"

No. All names of archangels end in el, except for one. Angels' names, however, can vary in form, yet their names do not end in el, except for one. Archangels and angels are not the same. Archangels can kill humans and angels, while angels are not allowed to kill neither humans, nor archangels. Except for one.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Direne

The prefix “arch,” meaning “chief” or “principal,” implies that there is only one archangel, the chief angel; in the Scriptures, “archangel” is never found in the plural. The only name directly associated with the word “archangel” is Michael.​—Jude 9.

This notion of multiple archangels comes from extrabiblical sources (outside the Scriptures), such as the earlier mentioned Book of Enoch (which was not written by the one named Enoch in the Bible but is falsely attributed to him*).

*: making that a lie being further promoted by how the book is named. Who is the father of the lie according to the Bible? In that case, who is then the spiritual father of the so-called Book of Enoch according to the Bible? A more honest title would have been Book of Lies, but how are you going to deceive people with a title like that?

John 8:41-47

41 You are doing the works of your father.” They said to him: “We were not born from immorality; we have one Father, God.”

42 Jesus said to them: “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I have not come of my own initiative, but that One sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I am saying? Because you cannot listen to* [Or “accept.”] my word. 44 You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie. 45 Because I, on the other hand, tell you the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Who of you convicts me of sin? If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why you do not listen, because you are not from God.”

edit on 1-10-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

No one knows the date or time...

Gotta stop you right there. That is one of the most misquoted phrases in the gospel of Matthew. Comes from the little apocalypse in chapter 24. Read the sentence before that. It’s not about the return of Christ. It is about Heaven and earth passing away.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. 36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

The date of Christ’s return is not hidden. What is hidden, is the day when heaven and earth shall pass away.

Christians always act like it is impossible to know when Christ will return. It is not impossible. The date can be calculated from Christ’s own words. The mystery is only regarding the date when the heavens and earth shall pass away.
edit on 1-10-2022 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I agree, but the OP did not mention she/he was referring to the canonical Bible. Therefore, we can freely assume she/he was referring to all religious texts of Judeo-Christian origin, which includes the Qumran Scrolls, where archangels are mentioned by their names. Also the gnostic tradition has it that The Watchers are archangels, and in the Nag Hammadi texts you find seven of them, with their names.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I think Lucifer may have been given a 'special dispensation' name, seeing as he was apparently the most senior angel in the hierarchy, a Seraph who ministered at the very throne of the manifest presence of God, in the Heavenly temple. There is a connection with the flaming stones (flames symbolising holiness, not torment) surrounding the throne itself in the name of Lucifer as 'light bearer', perhaps transferring the purifying fires of holiness to supplicants who were brought near to the throne for whatever reason, it was his task to pass the fire/light to those blessed enough to approach.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Could be a military rank that was stripped in the rebellion.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

How did you fall from the sky Heylel Ben-Shahar. You landed in the land of power over the Gentiles.

Thanks for providing that transliteration of the original text, it's very interesting to me to read the name as writ. Do we take it to mean therefore that Lucifer as a name was applied only after the Fall, to denote his former function/purpose & therefore provide a sort of 'memento mori' of what had transpired, rather than having him retain the true name he was originally given by God? Stripping someone of their title is a traditional way that formal monarchical/imperial systems show the outworkings of disciplinary measures? Such as Prince Andrew being stripped of his formal title after being collared messing around with potentially underage girls on Epstein's properties...

Interesting fun fact - that famous photo of Prince Andrew standing apparently having his arm around Virginia Giuffre or whatever her name is, with Ghislaine Maxwell leaning against the door frame in the background, is in fact, without a shadow of a doubt, an entirely photoshopped image! The original photo is simply Ghislaine Maxwell leaning against the door frame, with no Prince Andrew & no Virginia Giuffre in the shot whatsoever. Apparently the images of the prince & Virginia are from two separate photos pasted together to make it look as though he has his hand around her waist, when in fact that photo of him was from a party on a yacht in which he had his arm around the waist/ behind someone else entirely.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the evidence, it's really striking. It makes you think, because clearly, he was all but certainly messing around with young girls alongside Epstein - but the reason he went on TV & did that train wreck interview, is because he KNEW that the photo being promoted in the press was a fake, so he thought he'd be able to bluff his way through the interview on the strength of that knowledge alone. He didn't account for how terribly guilty he actually was anyway, and how terrible he is at lying in front of a journalist/ camera. Hence the train came off the tracks almost immediately.

But it's interesting to note that Virginia Giuffre was also bluffing her way through the situation by photoshopping a photo to make her connection to Andrew seem tangible. She probably did have relations with him, just not in front of a camera - hence she was extremely devious in setting this whole thing up. Andrew's wife had been going mental about 'that woman' (Giuffre) on her social media profile ever since the whole thing started, trying to prove the photoshopping & so forth - but nobody wanted to listen, because the circumstantial evidence against him is so strong in & of itself.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Great post & source for checking out more information.

I firmly believe that if we are to get the most possible theological insight from the Bible, we must be able to read the original Hebrew, because the names given to places, people, events & spiritual beings are extremely dynamically releveant to the unfolding theology & narrative which is being taught by the scripture itself. Indeed, the names of Biblical characters unlocks a whole new dimension of meaning which can make plentiful the measure of understanding one can imbibe from the reading of the 'word of God'. I have always maintained that there are multiple layers of meaning in scripture, it is in that respect an extremely multidimensional tool for improving one's spiritual wellbeing.

I would love to learn Hebrew one day, I have an affinity for the language as when I speak in tongues I have occasionally spoken in Hebrew apparently, though only snippets of words & such, most of it is indecipherable from a human perspective, following the teaching that the groans of the Holy Spirit are unspoken, too deep for words to express.

Someone once said to me that when we are passed away & find ourselves in the Kingdom, at some point we will learn just what was being expressed by the Spirit when we prayed in tongues under different circumstances in our lives, there will be a huge uptick in understanding of what the Holy Spirit spoke through us as we went through the trials & tribulations of life here on Earth.

new topics

top topics

join