It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kinzhal hypersonic missile down in Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well.

I decided to start this thread because it seems a KH-47M2 "Kinzhal" missile had a malfunction of some sort and ended up crashing in Russia near Stavropol.
Here is the link of the video showing the wreckage :

twitter.com...

And here is a closer view of the debris with some basic analysis and a speculation of what might have happened.

twitter.com...

The author raise a point by showing what seems to be a kind of radar seeker in the missile. Considering the "Kinzhal" is a derivative of the Iskander ballistic missile, what do you think of it ? Do you think it could be used as a SEAD missile of some kind ?
If that's the case that would actually be a good idea to access a more defended target from a great range and with a low probability of getting intercepted.

Anyways I'm curious of what you think of it, and if you have any other information about it, or know where to find more about this missile : feel free to share it !

I wish you all a good day.

Ghoul

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghoul

Seems strange to let anyone inspect a hypersonic missle especially landing in their own territory. I assumed they would still be heavily gaurding this tech.

Pure speculation but seems odd to me.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghoul

I’ve never bought in to the hypersonic near panic. Mach 5 is the so called threshold for hypersonic. The Phoenix missile has been mach five capable since 1986.

Furthermore the First stage of any intercontinental ballistic missile is 2.5 mi/s) Mach 11.

The mid stage of any intercontinental ballistic missile is around mach 15.

Reentry stage of any intercontinental ballistic missile is 4,2 mi/s Mach 20 +

Meaning all intercontinental ballistic missiles are hypersonic.

Interesting enough a ICBM in reentry has been targeted and intercepted.

By a RIM SM-3 Block IIA missile with a maximum speed of March 18 in low orbit in 2020

Don’t buy into clickbait.

They might be faster but they aren’t instantaneous.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghoul
The author raise a point by showing what seems to be a kind of radar seeker in the missile. Considering the "Kinzhal" is a derivative of the Iskander ballistic missile, what do you think of it ? Do you think it could be used as a SEAD missile of some kind ?

I doubt that it is for SEAD. Suppression of Enemy Air Defense if SEAD means the same to you as it does to me. Most SEAD missiles don't have radar, they have receivers to detect and locate RADAR units. I've looked at the pictures both here and an other site. I think what people are calling a radar is actually a "slosh baffle". I believe that this missile is liquid fueled and that baffle is to keep the fuel from "sloshing" around while the missile is maneuvering, throwing off it's center of gravity.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DoogieHowitzer

Hypersonic missiles are much harder to intercept. The Aegis BMD catches the missile in the second most vulnerable phase of flight, before it begins terminal maneuvering. A boost-glide weapon is going to be harder still to intercept because it stays lower, and maneuvers more. Hypersonic missiles aren’t the be all, end all, but they’re much harder to intercept due to the reduced time from detection to impact.

Fun fact about ICBM intercept tests; they’re designed to be easy. Especially the early tests. The GBI, which is considered operational, still hasn’t gone up against a full up test with decoys and multiple warheads.
edit on 9/15/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So 4 fired in total

3 hit Ukrainian targets with very minimal battlefield impact

The 4th landed in Russia

I think they’ve fielded a rather costly dude

It’s basically an air launched Iksander with shorter range isn’t it?

I’ve learnt a lot about Russian military hardware in the past 6 months as many others have, it’s JUNK, just see most the tanks captured with the much championed ERA is filled with rubber or no explosives at all

Crazy bad corrupt

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: Ghoul

I doubt that it is for SEAD. Suppression of Enemy Air Defense if SEAD means the same to you as it does to me. Most SEAD missiles don't have radar, they have receivers to detect and locate RADAR units. I've looked at the pictures both here and an other site. I think what people are calling a radar is actually a "slosh baffle". I believe that this missile is liquid fueled and that baffle is to keep the fuel from "sloshing" around while the missile is maneuvering, throwing off it's center of gravity.

It's just an air launched iskander, so solid fuel?

I agree that SEAD makes no sense for this toy though.

edit on 16-9-2022 by MidnightWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

In the 80s we had MARVs (maneuverable reentry vehicles) for the Persian 2.

In a rare moment of clarity. The army realize that you don’t need to be painstakingly precise with nuclear warheads.

Why waste the money.
edit on 16-9-2022 by DoogieHowitzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 11:49 PM
link   

We aren’t talking nuclear though.

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

We aren’t talking nuclear though.

Did you see the video of Ukrainians landing mig 29s on a rural highway?

I couldn't believe they hit that tiny window and kept them on the road!

Or that they even attempted such a thing.

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MidnightWatcher

A lot of air forces in Europe practice that annually. They’ve set up for years to lose their airfields.

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: MidnightWatcher

A lot of air forces in Europe practice that annually. They’ve set up for years to lose their airfields.

They didn't even pick a very straight or level road and didn't clear the trees or power lines.

It was clearly planned in advance since they had ground support, air defense, and fuel trucks waiting nearby.

For a wannabe like me it looked like it was a hollywood fake, I actually had to check to make sure it wasn't video game footage.

Fighter pilots are a rare breed.

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was replying to your comment about ICBMs.

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   

That’s what I get for answering in bed.

top topics

join