It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random acts of kindness feel free to add your own

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is meant as a pep talk in thread form, maybe to inspire people to act with goodwill towards stranger or help us to feel some satisfaction in listing things we did that helped someone out. I like originality as it makes things memorable but feel free to add whatever you have done that helped a random stranger or made you feel good.

I'll go first: One day driving home from work on our toll expressway (oxymoron?) I drove up on the backed up cars before the toll booths. Start, stop, start, stop, oh the fun of it. Out of nowhere BAM!... my head flies forward almost hitting the wheel. I realize I have soft bumpers on this Buick so it shouldn't be too bad when I get out to look. The guy who hit me looks 40-ish, sales type, well-dressed and with New Jersey tags driving through Virginia. I have a minor dent and calculate what that might generate in insurance money. The man is very apologetic and looks bedraggled and nervous. Here he is at least 4 or 5 hour drive away from home (it's close to 5 pm) stuck in traffic with a fender bender. My solution was to forget the insurance, he didn't need to pay more and I bought my car for $1,200 so it wasn't worth fixing cosmetic damage. He was super relieved when I told him "don't worry about it, I want you to leave Virginia with a good impression." So we drive away towards the toll booths and he's right behind me. Why not pay his toll for him? So I did. When the toll lady waved him through I could see his expression in my rearview as I slowly left the tolls. Totally worth it just to me, I'm sure it didn't hurt his day either.

Ok, your turn folks! :
edit on 6-8-2022 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I had tom run from the store I was working at to the store next door for something the boss wanted. I passed a soda booth the school had to raise funds for some program, and one of the kids didn't have a coat. The wind was really gusting, making it feel much colder, and she was shivering terribly.

On the way back, I stopped and ordered a soda. The cold girl complimented me on the jeans jacket I had on that I'd pieced together from scraps, so I gave it to her. She still had 4 hours left to work the stand, and now I had a reason to make another jacket.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Last year, I was in line in Walmart behind an elderly gentleman with a lot of groceries. I was busy loading mine on the belt when I noticed him fumbling through his change purse. The cashier says "we can put some back, it'll be all right...".
I asked the cashier how much was he short. $7.59 she says. I gave her a ten and told her to give him the change in case he needs a drink or something.
He looks at me with tears in his eyes and says "Thank you... thank you very much!". I said something like "Its nothing".
He finished loading his cart and took two steps turned around and came and hugged me.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This year I was in a traffic jam in the summer heat, inside a car with no climate, not even fans as it all flew out because of weight. I underestimated the heat and the traffic jam was around 20km. Had a friend with me, we just wanted to have some fun driving on the Autobahn and ended up stuck in the traffic jam. We were soaked from sweat as the engine was producing a lot of heat too, even in idle and occasional driving. My eyes burned from all the salty sweat.

And only one bottle of water with us, as we didn't expect to end up in a jam or similar, just wanted to do a few pulls on the Autobahn and exit again. But there was a big crash, a truck went sideways and fell over, blocked the whole street.

So we shared that bottle but at some point each of us just sipped little bits because it was just two big gulps left. Probably more spit than water in the bottle. Just to wet the lips. This went on for about two hours when someone approached us from behind, during a period where we were standing and said like

"We were watching you two sip on that bottle for a while and it does not get empty, here, have a few." We thanked him and he gave us three small bottles of water through the window. We were so glad! When things got rolling again we met each other and I took a bit time to get on the same speed and rolled up to waive a second thank you.

There's still good people out there

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Oh and last year I wanted to get cash from the cash vending machine at my bank but an older man was busy using it. It was during a time where everyone was freaking out with distancing rules, in the middle of two lockdowns.

And so I waited patiently. But he got nervous and said I can get cash before him. So I did, thanked and then he asked me if I can show him how it works. He was very silent and was feeling uncomfortable, excused himself that he never uses the vending machine but goes to the reception, but that was closed because of covid.

So I showed him step by step how to put in the card the right way and we were very close until I turned around so he can enter his code without me looking over his shoulder. And then I helped him through the menu so he can get his cash.

The strange thing: I enjoyed the closeness to somebody else as it was all about distancing. And the man was happy, what made me happy, because it makes me happy when I can help others feel good

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I give away 3 turkeys every year in my towns local Facebook group. I do my best to make sure they go to the needy, not the greedy.

Last year I provided a whole dinner for a family of 12 with one of the turkeys.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 06:24 PM
link   

My first job was cook/waitress/cashier for a small ice cream/sandwich shop. There was an older man who would come in on Saturday’s and my coworker the bish didn’t work Saturday’s, so it was just me.

I noticed he was hungry but only had a little change, so I’d use my tips and get him whatever he wanted. If he showed up near closing I always had it bagged for him.

The bish would have given me #e for it.

I’ve been doing little acts of kindness all my life when I can.

Recently I got a fb req from the daughter of someone I dated 30 years ago letting me know her grandmother passed. I saw that she named her son after her dad, and one of her daughters after my middle name (which I remember her asking me what my middle name was). I cried when I saw that. Just knowing that she remembered me after 30 years made me feel so blessed!

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 06:56 PM
link   

My daughter and I had a girls day and decided to get our nails done.
The two workers were friendly and told us where an Asian market was.
I gave a $40 tip and the guy almost looked like he was going to cry...

Sometimes you don't know what other people are going through, the struggles, the stress.
A very little thing to you can mean a lot to someone else.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 07:19 PM
link   
my wife and I don't really do the "buy a whole load of presents for everyone" kind of christmas- we get a couple things for the niece and nephew, a present for each couple, and we treat eachother a little bit if we have the scratch. So, i figured it was a good time to do a little extra last christmas-time. We live in a small rural community, with a general store that is jokingly referred to as the bank, because it lets some residents run a tab for things like drinks, water, food, gas and some other things like cooking essentials and the like. Some people put alcohol on their tab which irks me, but that's another story.

I figured out who had the three highest tabs which didn't include tobacco or alcohol, and paid them off, requesting to not have my name told to the families that were involved. Since I'm on the fire dept, it felt like it would be inappropriate (since i've been in 2 out of 3 of the family's homes and know about their poverty from that angle). I was in the store when one of the guys found out it was effectively zeroed, and it was immediately worth it. I just sat in line quiet, and observed. I don't think any of them found out who their secret santa was yet.

And believe me, I'm not wealthy. I work on an ambulance, and as a corrections officer (for a short time, and back to the ambulance as I hate this job more than anything). It was worth it though.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I give drunks money, when they are begging on the street. I know what it's like to "need" a drink, down on your luck and broke and sick. 20 years sober thanks to a good woman, Alcoholics Anonymous and the grace of GOD.
edit on 6-8-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I purge heretics with the cleansing flame of the Emperor.

Purge the mutant.

Purge the heretic.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm learning all your dirty secrets. I love it. I apologize for not being as positive as I should be. I know the friends I enjoy the most are those who don't complain. Maybe this thread will remind someone who's down the times when others helped them out. We need to know good will exists out there.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I have a younger brother that used to beat up the homeless... so they could get a free stay in a hospital.

He was using meth and heroin at the time, so... probably not the BEST example...

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This is a great thread and loved what you did with the fender bender guy 👌🏼☺️

(Present thread excluded) it is also very good for the soul to do random acts of kindness and not tell anyone about them too, it feels even better.

I try to do this every day, but if no obvious opportunities arise, I find that simply complementing a stranger works really well too, usually something to do with their appearance will suffice.

Reading Marcus Aurelius Meditations, learning and practicing Stoicism, and meditating put me on this path in a wonderful way, and has completely transformed my mental health. I highly recommend!
Oh and practicing daily gratitude, this is so helpful x

Meditations: A New Translation (Modern Library Classics) amzn.eu...

The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living: Featuring new translations of Seneca, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius amzn.eu...

The Daily Stoic Journal: 366 Days of Writing and Reflection on the Art of Living amzn.eu...

Start With Gratitude: Daily Gratitude Journal | Positivity Diary for a Happier You in Just 5 Minutes a Day amzn.eu...

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Wow just finished reading all of your guy’s’ good deeds, legit tearful now lol. Thanks again for this thread, slight faith in humanity restored for today x 🥹👍🏻

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Albert999
Wow just finished reading all of your guy’s’ good deeds, legit tearful now lol. Thanks again for this thread, slight faith in humanity restored for today x 🥹👍🏻

Mission accomplished then. You mentioned complimenting someone on their appearance and I would like to add telling someone they are very good at their job no matter how menial. People need to feel pride in what they do even if it's scrubbing floors, the least we can do is hand out compliments when they are well-deserved.

new topics

top topics

join