It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White and youth population losses contributed most to the nation’s growth slowdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have always been fascinated by Demographic information and we're finally getting some decent information based upon the 2020 Census (I think), and from a reasonably unbiased source, the Brookings Institute. I say reasonably unbiased. They do hide their easter eggs to some degree, particularly on the Immigration information which obviously fails to account for the 3 million that have come across the border "illgegally", or undocumented or without visas.

Source:
www.brookings.edu...
This is stunning:

The nation’s population grew by a mere 392,665 during the prime pandemic period of July 2020 to July 2021—down from over 1 million in each of the three previous years, and over 2 million for 2016-17. Yet when looking at these trends for major race-ethnic groups, it was the increased loss in the white population (to -878,693) which accounted for most of the nation’s growth decline.

See Figure 1.

While it is true that each of the other race-ethnic groups grew more slowly in 2020-21 (download Table A), white population loss contributed most. Moreover, it continued a trend, now five years running, of white population loss across the nation as a whole.

When examining the prime demographic components of the nation’s growth slowdown (see Figure 2), it is clear the large negative natural increase (more deaths than births) is what propelled the white population loss in 2020-21. In the year before the pandemic (2018-19), white natural increase was -289,849. This dropped further in 2020-21, to -906,427, due to substantially more deaths and fewer births.

I knew things "felt" different, but I had no idea that the white population decline was this large. And that's not just as a "percentage" of the US total population, it's an "absolute" decline.

Next is complicated but informatiive:

Thus, it is not surprising that even before the pandemic, there was an annual loss in both youth (under 18) and prime working-age (18 to 59) populations, as shown in Figure 1. However, in 2020-21, the magnitude of these losses increased, especially for youth, in light of the decline in births and slowdowns in the generally younger immigrant population. And while growing far more than others, the 60-and-older age group still showed a marked growth decline.

This goes to explain the gap between the number of available jobs and available workers. But figure 4 displays a serious oddity: a huge loss of white population in the 18~59 age group!

Pandemic deaths????? The authors of this article don't attempt to explain this.

Finally, the report documents what we all knew......a huge and continuing flight from Urban areas.

One of the impacts is the unusual decline in the aggregate populations of the nation’s major metro areas (the 56 metro areas with populations exceeding 1 million). One of the impacts is the unusual decline in the aggregate populations of the nation’s major metro areas (the 56 metro areas with populations exceeding 1 million). The new Census Bureau estimates show that the white population contributed heavily to this loss. As Figure 7 indicates, the white population in these areas dropped by more than 900,000, well above the nearly 300,000 drop in the total population (with gains from other race-ethnic groups making up the difference)Among the nation’s 56 major metro areas, 43 saw absolute declines in their white populations. Sixteen saw absolute declines in their Black populations, and six saw declines in Latino or Hispanic and Asian American populations

What surprised me was that not only is the "white" population fleeing the cities, so are the Hispanics. Oddly, the report fails to address another cause of flight from the Cities; crime and lack of affordable housing.

Takeaway's?
1). The loss of population in the prime working age group is beyond surprising and I am at a loss to explain that other, perhaps, from deaths from the pandemic.
2). The flight from the urban areas is larger than I had expected. And the trend appears to be continuing and possibly accelerating. Thus, the hollowing out of US Cities continues unabated. Doubtless there are many reasons for this, fear of being trapped in a city during pandemics, crime, lack of affordable housing and the recent adoption of remote work. I can't quite feature what this portends for the future. I like things like live theatre and the arts and art museums. These activities are dependent upon corporate and wealthy individual benefactors and I would guess this may mean that the "Arts" may well leave the Cities as well. It is however, somewhat depressing to know that US cities are quickly coming to resemble "Detroit". How long before we see adverts for "Abandonned New York Tours"?
3). While the numbers for the decline of the White population are dramatic, when you look at the overall data you'll be impressed by the fact that there's been a HUGE slowdown in population growth across all ethnic categories. This tells the tale of a profound slow down in population growth in the US as a whole. I find that surprising.

Final thought? Personally, I have come to view these reports about demographic changes across "ethnic" lines to be interesting and informative, it strikes me that when viewed from the 30,000' perspective, numbers across racial lines are pretty meaningless because the truth is that the US is quickly becoming a "Mixed Race" country. Many "Hispanics" identify as "Hispanic White" and many of those who identify as "Black" are actually mixed race. Racial identification is quickly becoming rather meaningless. What IS more meaningful is the number of people in the population that qualify as intellectually and/or skill-set competent. So,for example, you want a "good" and highly qualified Doctor or Nurse or plumber or electrician. Their racial category is pretty meaningless. So, by way of demonstration, we have a serious shortage of highly qualified and skilled Airline Pilots! That's not good!

ATS Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Racial identification is quickly becoming rather meaningless.

Not really; the only race that won't get you preferential treatment is 'White'. If you can identify as any other race (ask Warren) doors will open for you automatically, regardless of qualifications.

Biden recently stated that 'the White race is on path to become a minority race in the US soon- and that's a good thing.'

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I would guess that the trend of not hiring whites will be short lived as employers will be forced to hire who ever they can find who is qualified. However, in the short term, that preference in so called minority hiring may well accelerate White flight out of the US, particularly among the most talented who are also the most mobile. If that trend were to accelerate, it will result in brain drain accelerating overall US decline into 3rd world status in keeping with the goals of the WEF and the New Liberal Order.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   

time.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

time.com...

From your link:

Today’s most important battleground is people, not places. There is a global war for young talent to recruit young students, professionals, taxpayers, caregivers, entrepreneurs, investors, and others to ensure healthy demographics, tax base, industry, and innovation.

That would explain why the pictures of 5 million+ 'undocumented' migrants pouring across the southern border in recent years show mostly young males, with just a handful of women and children as they disembark planes and busses relocating them.

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 08:18 AM
link   

True, while at the same time, "Digital Nomads" are leaving the US; top talent is fleeing.

top topics

join