It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antiviral properties of organic compounds found in common herbs, spices and other plants

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

You add the black pepper and oil after cooking the turmeric and water for about 7 minutes (you will have to add a little water every now and then.

I should have posted this page instead of the other one.

Better article including the Golden Paste recipe from Doug English.

I should have added that you need to be careful with where you buy turmeric. Some can of it be high in lead.

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I will do some reading about it, but probably won't try using it medicinally. I took up heavily drinking for a year after a friend's suicide in 2020. I went through a few different absinthes in that time. I didn't really notice a big difference in feelings or perception from drinking it and didn't really enjoy the taste all that much. 

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Thank you for sharing your experience and pointing out the things that you did.

I should have been more specific about it being the individual phytochemicals found in Juniperus oxycedrus that were listed as being investigated in the study. It's the same every time I list the specific organic compounds. In a few cases, the studies that I listed investigated the full plant extract. The main one being that a full extract from turmeric was what was found to fully inhibit replication of the virus that causes covid and not just curcumin.  

Thank you for pointing out the toxicity of Juniperus oxycedrus, Artemisia douglasiana, and Eupatorium. I know very little about herbal medicine, and that is why I repeated that people should seek out professionals. My primary care doctor has training in traditional medicine, and I think seeing a trained professional is what those without experience should do. My main intention with this thread was to give those with experience and training, such as yourself, the latest science to back up their practices. I should have done more than just check to see these had been linked to medicinal use. 

I eat the skin and all whenever I eat kumquats. Another anecdote is that my mother regularly eats some of the peel and fleshy white parts of grapefruits, oranges, and other citrus. Although she's only had the childhood immunizations in her life and hasn't had any vaccines since the 70s, she has not had a cold or flu in all that time. She's unvaccinated for covid and hasn't caught it despite my parents living in one of those apartment buildings like retirement communities and they've gone down to a crowded dining room for three meals a day. Many of the other residents there have caught covid more than once. 

The thread was originally going to be longer. I cut a lot out. I should have left more about how I think eating a diverse healthy diet rich in the common culinary herbs and spices from the first study would often be enough to receive some protection from covid. Originally, I did have some lines that explained extracts vs. essential oils vs. an oil of, but I cut it for some reason. I think that I will create a new thread to point out the distinctions. 
edit on 24 7 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I will do some reading about it, but probably won't try using it medicinally. I took up heavily drinking for a year after a friend's suicide in 2020. I went through a few different absinthes in that time. I didn't really notice a big difference in feelings or perception from drinking it and didn't really enjoy the taste all that much. 

Can you explain why you think drinking the spirit absinthe is anything like drinking a herbal tea made from a plant picked straight from nature?

Here's a link for further research:

"Artemisia and Artemisia-based products for COVID-19 management: current state and future perspective"
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 25-7-2022 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
I don't know where you live.....however:

A. vulgaris is native to temperate Europe, Asia, North Africa, and Alaska, and is naturalized in North America,[5] where some consider it an invasive weed. It is a very common plant growing on nitrogenous soils, such as waste places, roadsides and other weedy and uncultivated areas.
Wiki.

If you can't find any in the wild you can go online and buy it..... for making tea.

edit on 25-7-2022 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I didn't say that I thought it was the same. I was mentioning my only experience with wormwood. And I mainly won't try it for covid because I am not particularly worried about covid for myself. Be it from my diet or my genetics, it's been shown to me that I am not very susceptible to illness caused by covid. I made this thread for the members of ATS and not for myself. I wanted to give some weight to traditional medicine for those who would prefer it over mRNA vaccines and Paxlovid. I didn't say anything about people not trying wormwood if it is right for them. But I see no reason why wormwood is the best choice with some of the many common herbs and spices showing great inhibitory properties against Sars2 3CL protease activity. And I do find it interesting, but all of the sources for my OP are actual published scientific studies and not youtube videos. Being an actual scientist myself, I do not go to youtube for medical or scientific information that did not come from a lab. I do still appreciate that you shared about the wormwood for others to see.
edit on 25 7 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tamusan
You make it sound like I only posted a yt vid.

Did you read any medical studies online about Artemisia and covid?
There are loads.....

edit on 26-7-2022 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   

To be fair, you only provided a link to the youtube video and not to the source for your quoted text. I am planning on seeing what the scientific databases have this weekend. I don't have the time to do it until then.

posted on Jul, 27 2022 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I have enjoyed reading this thread and love that we can get our medicines from nature, I recently caught Covid and remembered coming across an article about Olive Leaf tea, apparently the leaves of the olive tree contain a chemical called Oleuropein, which is an antiviral, so I made myself some tea a few times a day as there is a small olive tree in my garden, it tasted a bit like green tea and mixed with some honey it is really nice, I then remembered an article I had read about black cumin seeds, so I started chewing about half a teaspoon daily, Black Cumin I think is also supposed to be antiviral, anyway doing both of those things knocked Covid on the head thankfully, I think if ever I feel a cold coming on this is something I will try again, hope this helps someone else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join