It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monarch butterflies an endangered species

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2022 @ 05:23 PM
link   
For some reason, milkweed started growing on part of the land where I live. I called the owner and explained it was good food for the monarch butterfly, so now he lets it grow.

After 3 years, I saw my first monarch this very weekend! It had been years since I saw one!

posted on Jul, 21 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Kind of like humans and interstellar travel.

posted on Jul, 21 2022 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Well they must have all moved over here, there were literal clouds of them around in the parts of the bush and edge of agricultural land that I frequent in my area. Was an absolutely stunning display.

posted on Jul, 21 2022 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Here in Florida, we're getting lots of Monarchs.
We just planted a lot of milkweed plants in the back for them.

I live in SC and we planted butterfly gardens. We have more plants growing for butterflies than we have for our own consumption!!

posted on Jul, 21 2022 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I was in my backyard watering plants and I found a DEAD Monarch in a pot. Half its wing was chewed off. I wonder if the heat killed it and pests had him for dinner.

I have never seen a dead butterfly, just laying around, before.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Net Searches do indeed show a marked decrease in many Monarch populations.
From my point of view in Central IL it is indeed devastating.
The wife and I have done all we can to help this situation, but it does appear that milkweeds [what they feed and spin on] is being killed off by introduction of weed killers. Most people regard milkweed as a weed and not something required for the life of such a beautiful creature. [see the man with the weed killer spraying it liberally all over his driveway?

I am in central Illinois. Live in a small city. We plant a 4 foot wide by ten long area of prairie grass including milkweed right on the boulevard. Some neighbors don’t like it, but the city understands that it is needed. Milkweeds grow right up our property line and on both sides of our house.

5 years ago we had tons of Monarchs and other butterflies. This year it appears catastrophic. We have seen only one. So just a few short years ago hundreds, and today…..only one so far. The demise of the Monarch is not the only problem. We have large gardens both at home and at distance. Few bees. Mostly bumble bees. Pollination is occurring mainly by other insects like flies etc, but the bees seem to be absent now. When I mowed my lawn a few years back, clover blooms had hundreds of bees on them. I mowed more slowly as not to kill them. Now I don’t worry much about it as there appears to be no bees on the blooms now.

This is NOT global warming. It is High level weed killers, and other things similar. We still have good crops and pollination, but the bees are gone. And so are the Monarchs.
Be aware the US government even a few years ago would send you seeds to plant milkweed free of charge. We got some. Don’t know if they still do it, but that beautiful Monarch appears to be in serious trouble. [There are websites that do send out free seeds now] And Yes, we need the food the farmers grow. So something must give.

If we can put a man on the moon then why can't we find a way to control weeds without killing the most needed insects in the food chain, without killing off some of the most important pollinators, and indeed the most beautiful of Gods Creation?

I do see a post in Florida where there are tons of these beautiful creatures. I hope that what we see here in Central Illinois is just a fluke and not a harbinger.
edit on 22-7-2022 by DavidsHope because: To make more readable

edit on 22-7-2022 by DavidsHope because: getting old an and edit is my friend now

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I planted flowers specifically for the Monarchs this year
www.neseed.com...
I don't live in a very Monarch-heavy area (lived here when I was small too) but have at least one who floats through and stops for some nectar!
Got tons of honeybees and bumble bees, too.

I hope they'll be ok.. they are such gorgeous little creatures, so graceful and bright.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   

This is NOT global warming. It is High level weed killers, and other things similar. We still have good crops and pollination, but the bees are gone. And so are the Monarchs.

I agree 100%. While some reports immediately play the global warming card, the serious research says it's obvious that the destruction of milkweed along the migratory routes is to blame. Overuse of weed killers has decimated the butterflies' crucial milkweed.

edit on 22-7-2022 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

Likely something attacked it.

I doubt the species are in dangers and likely are hiding from humans as with most extinct animals.

There are places still in the world which haven't being explored fully.
edit on 22-7-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I always hate seeing two of them lazily dancing in the air and for some dumb reason they just happen to go right in front of my car's front end.

Too bad after living decade after decade after the invention of the car they haven't learned to fly high enough above the roads.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Today I came across the oddest bumble bee, it was all black with purple iridescent wings. Unfortunately, it had an injured wing and for some reason just kept on tumbling upside down. I turned it back on its legs but I noticed a damaged wing. Really felt sorry for the little thing. All I could do was to move it into a thicket along the railway line, hopefully the shade and something to grab onto would help it survive a bit longer.

Anyway, I found out what the species is: Violet Carpenter Bee
discover.hubpages.com...

When I lived in the UK, I remember we had lavender in the garden and the bumble bees just went gaga for it. They were so intoxicated by the flowers that I could pet their torsos without them giving a damn.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join