It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is an evangelical anyway?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: DISRAELI

Ah! I learned something! It didn't occur to me to look up the entymology of the word.

I believe the Latin word was evangelista dating from the 1530s and yes, assorted with the Martin Luther breakaway of the protestants from Catholicism? I remember learning about that period; the Bible was considered "too Holy" to be read by the common man (not that many could read anyway) and had to be interpreted by the Church.

I agree: the original meaning should be followed; many atrocities have started throughout history by people trying to redefine the common meaning of words. So based on that, Catholics are "non-evangelical" by definition, but they are "born again." So in answer to the question, "Would you describe yourself as a ‘born again’ or evangelical Christian, or not?," would they still not answer "yes"? And would that not lump them in with the Protestants?

It seems that question is purposely equating "born again" with "evangellical," and then "evangelical" can be equated with the worst Christianity has to offer... effectively condemning the entire religion.

Thanks for the input.

TheRedneck

translating the bible into english would get you bbq'd
that happened to some dude after he was dead too!

dug him up and lit him up.
a lot of the bible is considered pseudepigrapha. writing inscribed with a lie, like some posts.
in the biblical sense the definition is a bit different.

i was catholic in my youth, baptized when born.

my wife a few years ago wanted to be baptized a christian.
she always felt christian, her family is mixed, tao, Buddhist.
so i had a question for our pastor, can i be baptized as a christian if i was already baptized as a catholic?
we had many talks about religion. i was active in the church. praise and worship band and cooked for the men's group every 2 weeks.

well, he said i could, no problem.
so the wife and i and a bunch of others in the church got baptized at a beach here.

fun day. powerful too.
pastor chris knows what he's talking about. he just got a double masters and going for another phd.

i wish i could have retained the info better.

evangelists?
like the climate doomers?
or blmers?
abortionists?
groomers? lgbqrt+
satanists.
basically all the left winger concerns.

all that crap would get you tied to a stake and bbq'd for heresy in the good old days.

like the maid of Orleans and the knights templar among other heretics.

worse than a catholic high mass on christmas eve at the vatican.

i'm not in anyone's face about my beliefs.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Yep
But
readingacts.com...
Check the dates
“…in no part of the world was there such fervent and sincere loyalty to the emperors as in Asia. Augustus had been a saviour to the Asian peoples, and they deified him as the Saviour of mankind, and worshiped him with the most whole-hearted devotion as the ‘present deity’.” W. Ramsay, The Letters to the Seven Churches (New York: Hodder & Stoughton, 1909) 115.

Effectively
εὐαγγέλιον, to euaggelion in Greek
Simply means “good news”
Any good news was εὐαγγέλιον
So the gospel of Jesus was proclaimed as good news and taught as such
Nothing tricky
The birth of an emperors child was “good news”
Christianity adopted evangellion or at the very least used it as “the good news of Jesus”
edit on 5-7-2022 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Phantom423

Jews do not accept Jesus as the Messiah.

Many, even most, Jews do not accept Jesus as the Messiah. This is true. They are still waiting on the Messiah.

Do you speak for all the Jewish people? Does your rabbi?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Phantom423

Your god stinks of corruption and chaos.

Our God? Is there not one true God?

Does your rabbi agree of this multi-theist approach?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Yes.. it is a good thing that we advanced and can now openly worship according to our own beliefs.
But the price we pay is that we allow others the same courtesy.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Yes.. it is a good thing that we advanced and can now openly worship according to our own beliefs.
But the price we pay is that we allow others the same courtesy.

However, that seems to be under attack, which is why I made this thread. If someone follows Christianity with conviction, they are now grouped in with the fringe element (which I cannot even go so far as to say are representative of Christianity... often they simply present themselves as such to make money).

So we agree that this movement to demonize "evangelical Christians" is wrong?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 02:14 PM
link   
What is someone that wants your credit card, and uses cheap infomercial, Alex?

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Not sure about being this big movement to demonize Christian's, but ya, I believe it is wrong to question anyone's faith or beliefs, especially if you are just grouping a bunch of people together and portraying them as being the same..
But, it does hurt alot more when it is members of your own religious community trying to kick you away from heaven's gates than having a few strangers from the far left and far right tearing you down.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   

But, it does hurt alot more when it is members of your own religious community trying to kick you away from heaven's gates than having a few strangers from the far left and far right tearing you down.

Yeah, I imagine it does... never really fell into any of their traps, though. I have watched TV preachers, but never for long stretches of time. Usually they lose my interest over one thing or another. Kenneth Copeland was probably my longest following, mainly because he doesn't tend to beg for money. People can donate, but he has actually stated that he didn't want any donations that were not done through the spirit... his organization was not in trouble financially.

I will point out that it is not a "few" strangers doing this... it is becoming quite common to hear angry rhetoric over those "evangelical Christians." I have heard that poll question so many times I cannot possibly remember how many. No, this is a movement... and one that needs to be squashed. Nipped in the bud would be better, but that bud is far too big to nip now.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 05:40 PM
link   

My little church was just a little church, no big televangelists, nice humble preacher, even did most of the work when the church needed a new roof..
Wasn't really that many far right, far left peeps back then either.

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Those are the best kind.

Every time I see a big fancy church building I wonder how many poor folk would love to have a tiny bite of the food one of those stained class windows could have bought. Not really my place to criticize, but...

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join