It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Australian retailers secretly using facial recognition tech.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

Yeah, I think the power issues are pretty nation wide at this point in time. Thanks to the governments bowing to political pressure on the world stage to seem like were trying to be "greener", its waste of time in my opinion.

Yeah, that was a bit of a eye opener, but nothing they haven't done to the US in years gone by. My real concern is them looking to establish air and naval bases in the southern pacific countries close to our doorstep. Especially if they establish something in the Solomon Islands / PNG.

Who knows whats going to happen if they manage to establish a viable supply line from china to here. In that situation, Chinese boots on Australian soil doesn't seem like such a impossibility. That's my concern.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Badams

Agreed, when we have to consider, they are looking at building a “fishing port” near port morsbey, that is supposedly able to dock large ships. Too close for comfort.

I agree, Australia needs to take on a war like mentality to independence of manufacturing, boost local employment.

offer incentives to Australian owned businesses to bring back their manufacturing, eg bonds clothing, they only have an office front, some local designers, and a warehouse.

It should be said to businesses, if they don’t bring back manufacturing after 3 years, then they get slapped with an 80 percent tariff.

At least people will
Look locally for their items knowing, they are supporting local jobs, and as imported goods cost more than cheap imports, they would buy Aussie made.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:32 PM
link   

As a employee of a Australian owned company involved in manufacturing, I wholeheartedly agree. Too much Chinese and international ownership and importation.

I also think we need to step up our armed forces and become self sufficient in national security. I have little faith that the yanks will come to us in our time of need - as I foresee them being thoroughly preoccupied with their own engagements when that happens. I don't believe our smaller allies have the military power to make a real difference if push comes to shove.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Defence is a worry, considering the length of our coast, it’s a huge area to defend.

Changes need to be made to foreign ownership, my opinion is unless you are a citizen you cannot buy property like Dubai imposes.

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Hey!! Finally a good reason to keep wearing a mask!

and sunglasses. pricks...

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
a reply to: lordcomac

I had heard about that, though private retailers answerable to shareholders, gathering data on purchases, habits.

Clearly this is for the purpose of data selling for marketing, and to build consumer profiles.

I only buy online, so they can't get my image. Everything else, sure, but this is all such an egregious tactic in my opinion, to take your image, name, address, et al, and sell it to god knows who.

I hate this world. not all of it, met some really decent humans recently after a fall, one guy stayed with me till the ambulance came. gave me at least some faith back in humanity. then there are things like this, that whittle it away again.

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Badams

Wear a mask then! bamboozles face recognition and makes you look like your a part of the compliant masses. win win.

Current days facial recognition works even if you wear a mask.

posted on Jun, 16 2022 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone
I doubt the version implemented in retail shops is that accurate. I could absolutely be wrong though.

posted on Jun, 16 2022 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Badams

As a employee of a Australian owned company involved in manufacturing, I wholeheartedly agree. Too much Chinese and international ownership and importation.

I also think we need to step up our armed forces and become self sufficient in national security. I have little faith that the yanks will come to us in our time of need - as I foresee them being thoroughly preoccupied with their own engagements when that happens. I don't believe our smaller allies have the military power to make a real difference if push comes to shove.

There’s a whole bunch of yanks sitting in Darwin. Been there for years.

posted on Jun, 16 2022 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Facial recognition is also use in pretty much every country if a store has self-scanning/checkout -the public claim is it's to detect shoplifters butit doesn't work.

The whole point of store cards is to track purchases and sell customer habbits to advertisers.

Similar happens wif you walk into a shop with a smartphone or when leaving or entering any big city as there's ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras on every entrance/exit.

posted on Jun, 16 2022 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Absolutely, but a whole bunch of US troops (marines? army?) are going to be thoroughly unhelpful in stopping Chinese air and naval assets. Do I think the US is going to send down naval ships and aircraft to aid us? Maybe 15 years ago, I highly doubt it now. And that seems to be the general consensus of many political commentators at the moment, not just something I've yanked from my ass.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Fair enough.

I still reckon if them yanks in Darwin were in danger there would be US warships appearing all over the shop.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Agreed, look at flybuys, the company gets all your purchase info either for direct marketing, or sending the cops to you house as you just bought 50 bags of fertiliser!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join