It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Underwater 'Lost City of Zakhiku' Resurfaces 3,400 Years Later On Tigris River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The Underwater 'Lost City of Zakhiku' has resurfaced on Tigris River over 3,400 Years Later after is disappeared. The city known as Zakhiku is a bronze age city located in Iraq on the Tigris River appeared after an extensive drought forced excessive water levels to be used for the irrigation of crops. Thankfully, Scientists from Germany's Universities of Freiburg and Tubingen raced to assemble teams and explore the city before it re-submerged.

Tigris River reveals Iraq is home to submerged Bronze Age ancient city
The university explained that Iraq is “one of the countries in the world most affected by climate change” and that “to prevent crops from drying out, large amounts of water have been drawn down from the Mosul reservoir – Iraq’s most important water storage – since December.”

The university added: “The extensive city with a palace and several large buildings could be ancient Zakhiku – believed to have been an important center in the Mittani Empire (ca. 1550-1350 BC).”

A team was hastily formed in days to explore this Bronze Age ancient city. Funding was also quickly secured from the Fritz Thyssen Foundation through the University of Freiburg.

The university added: “The German-Kurdish archaeological team was under immense time pressure because it was not clear when the water in the reservoir would rise again.”

There's still a lot to be discovered, me thinks. This Earth still has some surprises in her. What says ATS?

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

from another source it seems to be that it wasn't lost before the damn was built. they just didn't study it.

Zakhiku was hidden beath the waters of the Mosul reservoir until the months-long period of extreme drought brought about by climate change forced it to resurface. During the drought, water had to be drawn from the reservoir - which is said to be Iraq’s most important water storage - to irrigate crops. Water levels in the reservoir plummeted, as a result, exposing ancient city buildings for the first time in decades.

The dam was built back in the 1980s before the settlement was archaeologically studied and catalogued. But now that it has reappeared, it has given experts are excited to investigate the remains once again. In a joint Kurdish-German mission, rescue excavations took place in February and January 2022 in collaboration with the Directorate of Antiquities and Heritage in Duhok (Kurdistan Region of Iraq). Once the ancient buildings started to appear, a team for the rescue excavations assembled within days. But the experts were working against the clock as it was not clear when the water in the reservoir would rise again.

And the walls of the resurfaced buildings were reportedly so well-preserved that they stunned the experts. Some of the walls were still several metres high even though they were made from sun-dried mud bricks and had been submerged in water for more than 40 years.

Archaeology breakthrough: 3,400-year-old lost city of Zakhiku found: 'Close to a miracle'

edit on 2-6-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I was reading about this! The ME is so rich in ancient history; the loss of quite a bit of it due to war is so incredibly sad.
I'm anxiously following this story to see what is unearthed and learned!

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 09:52 AM
link   

A quick clip about the find. Thanks for bringing this up.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 09:52 AM
link   
They are a bit stingy on the pictures .

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   

There are a lot of submerged archeological sites around the world that need to be explored. I just read about one of them off of India in a Graham Hancock book.

Short of another Ice Age I don't think we'll be seeing them anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher

That's what I'm talking about... All I saw was a picture of what looked like the place Indiana Jones found in the Canyon of the Crescent Moon. Maybe the Holy Grail is hidden somewhere in there.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher

To be sure. They are really out there with that picture of Petra.

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I read all about this and want to research it more.
Apparently they knew about it but never had much interest. Now its all over the news, interesting right…

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

from another source it seems to be that it wasn't lost before the damn was built. they just didn't study it.

"The dam was built back in the 1980s before the settlement was archaeologically studied and catalogued. But now that it has reappeared,

So, nothing to do with climate change as the hit piece suggested...

How shocking -yawn-

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

It was an awkward, but hilarious read.

Some terrible editing, as it felt like some kind of " Correctness™ " editor had taken the written article, and ineptly gone through it, randomly inserting
" Because-of-Climate-Change™ " into every paragraph !! LoL !!

posted on Jun, 2 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

So, nothing to do with climate change as the hit piece suggested...

when i hear lost city i think of a city that was not known about and found covered up under tons of earth, jungle or what have you, or rumors and stories passed down for hundred, thousands of years that there was once was a city at a location.
not one that was known about before a damn was built. i would call that a old a abandoned city or a ghost town kinda like what happened in the U.S. when the TVA built their damn, or in China with their damns.

the drought may be due to climate change, but climate change didn't expose a city that was not known about before.

edit on 2-6-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join