It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria with antibiotic resistant genes discovered in Antarctica, scientists say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hello, ATS.

I'm putting this thread in this forum because it has to deal with the warming environment. Scientists from the University of Chile have discovered ancient bacteria in Anartica which may be resistant to antibiotics. Apparently, some of the bacteria in Antarctica that have been discovered have genes which give them natural antibiotic and antimicrobial resistance. There's also the potential for these antibiotic-resistant bacteria to spread out of the polar regions, according to scientists in Chile.

Of concern is the Polaromonas bacteria, which does have the "potential to inactivate beta-lactam type antibiotics, which are essential for the treatment of different infections."

Andres Marcoleta, a researcher from the University of Chile who headed the study in the Science of the Total Environment journal in March, said that these "superpowers" which evolved to resist extreme conditions are contained in mobile DNA fragments that can easily be transferred to other bacteria.

"We know that the soils of the Antarctic Peninsula, one of the polar areas most impacted by melting ice, host a great diversity of bacteria," Marcoleta said. "And that some of them constitute a potential source of ancestral genes that confer resistance to antibiotics."

Scientists from the University of Chile collected several samples from the Antarctic Peninsula from 2017 to 2019.

These scientists are not claiming Global Warming is the cause; not yet anyway. However, I think it is. I predicted this very thing right here on ATS. Not sure if I made the prediction in my own thread or someone elses, but it seems that I am right. The warming environment is exposing ancient genes which may be harmful.

"In a possible scenario, these genes could leave this reservoir and promote the emergence and proliferation of infectious diseases."

Researchers found that the Pseudomonas bacteria, one of the predominant bacteria groups in the Antarctic Peninsula, are not pathogenic but can be a source of 'resistance genes', which are not stopped by common disinfectants such as copper, chlorine or quaternary ammonium.

Polaromonas bacteria does show the potential to be resistant to disinfectants? That's not good. If the bacteria proliferate infectious diseases then in the words of Hudson from Aliens..."We're screwed!" What says ATS

www.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Everytime I read "What says", I hate O'Reilly even more for making this somehow cool 🙄.

Anyway, I think we are relatively safe being it's in Antarctica. If they found it in the drinking water in say North America I would have been a little more worried.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: vance

Anyway, I think we are relatively safe being it's in Antarctica.

I feel even less safe, knowing labs in Wuhan and Ukraine- among other places- are most likely already have been given samples and are performing tests to see how best to weaponize it.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Please don't tell Bill Gates.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: vance

What about the part where it says: " these genes could leave their current resevior and promote the proliferation of infectious dideases."

This part doesn't concern you?

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Please don't tell Bill Gates.

Sounds like an excuse to infect a lot of people with something developed in chapel hill then released in some far away land.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Oh great. Jurassic Park in a microscope.

How does it react to potassium permanganate?

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   

OR...........

Is this a scare tactic to keep people away from that area?

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

OR...........

Is this a scare tactic to keep people away from that area?

Hmmmm.....

Something to think about....

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My daughter works in a animal testing lab...no, not using animals to test, but the kind of lab veterinarians, farmers etc send samples to for testing.
She told me 2 years ago at the outbreak of you know what, that it is the bacteria we have a problem with. She had recently tested a sample sent in from a vet to determine which 'infection' a cow had. That was done and part of the process is to then test which antibiotic/treatment is suitable for the pathogen. Out of 12 'remedies' not one killed the bacteria. Veterinarian was now stuck with treatment for said cow. She said bacteria are evolving at a quicker rate than viruses.
Make of that what you will.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   
is this related to the influx of visitors to Antarctica a few years ago by heads of state from around the world?

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 03:20 PM
link   
MERSA is all over in society but most people naturally fight it off and some actually live symbiotically with it. Yet the right type of antibiotic is needed to fight it if your immune system is not functioning properly.

I am not afraid of these new bacteria just because they are antibiotic resistant. elements of our blood and our immune system may make this bacteria harmless. Turmeric is a very good antibiotic which will control most bad bacteria. But it is not considered a medicine, so it's properties against many microbes is not considered a medical compound. I am sure that many of you know things that kill bacteria as I do, with different common food or herb chemistry having certain microbes they protect us from. Our cravings if working correctly are part of our immune systems weaponry, yet we do not realize that. Just because we do not consciously know how to cure a disease, does not mean subconsciously we don't

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

hopefully the suns rays can kill it
id hate to think that thing getting here to warmer climates if it can survive the sun

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I wonder if we can ask this guy to check it out on his way across the antarctic

Frozen dagger

a royal marine is attempting a solo unaided crossing in November

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Say hello to plandemic #3(?)

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Theres billions of biological time capsules under the Antarctic glaciers waiting to be released into a world very different than their own.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Quick !!

We need to get the Financingâ„¢ in place, so that the good citizens of the world can pay-for some intense GOFâ„¢ Researchâ„¢ !

We have to make this into the most horrifically terrible version of itself, for the good of humanity, of course.

Why ?

Isn't it obvious ?

It's because we are the most intelligent species to ever evolve, that's why !!!

It's part of our superior, and collective intelligence, to devise spectacular ways to wipe ourselves out-of existence !!

What are ya ? Anti-Scienceâ„¢ ??

Why do you hate Scienceâ„¢ ?

edit on 26-5-2022 by Nothin because: Added imps, because we needed more imps.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 09:35 PM
link   

There's already numerous beta-lactam resistant bacteria, this isn't a new thing.

posted on May, 27 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ivermectin was created from a bacteria.

posted on May, 29 2022 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Alright. Wait a minute. Are you saying you think global warming caused these bacteria have such resistance?

top topics

join