It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting case of appropriation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 06:59 PM
link   
In 1963 the Douglas AC- 47 Spooky Gunship began being produced. Nicknamed 'Puff The Magic Dragon'.

Also In 1963, Peter, Paul, and Mary produced the song 'Puff The Magic Dragon'.

www.youtube.com...

Im just curious about the timing, the psychological effect of the propoganda aspect, using a childrens song, especially about a Dragon (a sacred creature to some of The Orient.) bringing Death From Above.

The song and the aircraft came out the same year..Wonder what the Hippies that produced the song thought about the name being used for one of the most intense killing machines ever created.

military-history.fandom.com...

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

Oh youngin'!

Soon (if not immediately) after "Puff, the Magic Dragon" was released as a song, there was a persistent rumor that the song was actually an "ode", as it were, to a certain recreational drug popular among the college students who frequented the coffee houses were folksongs like "Puff" and groups like Peter, Paul, and Mary were regular performers.

In these years, the draft (selective service) was still in force to fill the ranks of the US military, and ROTC programs were prominent on college campuses across the US.

The Vietnam conflict was on a slow trajectory to full boondoggle, and it is not too hard to imagine the intersection between a popular song and a ofttimes very welcome source of air support.

The irony of nicknaming a deadly piece of military equipment after a young boy's gentle, if ferocious appearing fantastical freind, was not lost on the troops serving in those jungles.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Soon (if not immediately) after "Puff, the Magic Dragon" was released as a song, there was a persistent rumor that the song was actually an "ode", as it were, to a certain recreational drug popular among the college students who frequented the coffee houses were folksongs like "Puff" and groups like Peter, Paul, and Mary were regular performers.

If I remember correctly...Puff The Magic Drag In, right? Like Puff, Puff, Drag (as in a drag off of a cig) In..(as in inhale)

I heard that too, and was hoping someone would bring it up. Thanks

Elbo Grees
edit on 4-5-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: .typo

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Puff the Magic Dragon was the unofficial crew nickname. Just about every aircraft produced has unofficial nicknames, sometimes several (the F-4 had five or six). It was appropriate, because when it fired it looked like a dragon beating fire. Interesting fact, I don’t think a single base was ever overrun that had a gunship orbiting overhead during an attack.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Puff the Magic Dragon was the unofficial crew nickname. Just about every aircraft produced has unofficial nicknames,

F4 Phantom, Tom-Cat, Strike Eagle, Raptor, Blackbird etc., My favorite unofficial nickname is of course The Black Sheep Squadron.

What Im exploring is the cultural entirety around the theme. The irony, as another poster put it.

The fact that in Southeast Asia, a Marijuana plant was simply something Mama San had to walk through while on her way to the rice paddy. No sub-cultural or legal implication to her whatsoever..just another jungle plant which may or may not have a use depending on the particular moment...nearly worthless.

But to outsiders it became of course something to be traded..another appropriation, if you will.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Those are all official nicknames that the military gave them. The F-4 also went by Double Ugly, Snoopy, Rhino, and Phantom. The F-16 is the Fighting Falcon or Falcon, and also the Viper. The F-18 is Hornet and Super Hornet, and also Bug and Rhino. The F-35 is Lightning II, and Panther, although some people are trying to get Battle Penguin to be accepted.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Had an F-16, and a F4 hanging from my cieling by fishing line that I put together as models. A pretty good laser print of the Blackbird..(Firefox is a cool movie.) And of course a laser print of the Shuttle at the time..the primary one before Challenger..cant remember the name...

So..I was actually going to ask You to elaborate on the official/unofficial part of Your statement, but I think Im getting it..

You dont think that the moniker bestowed upon this amazing bird has any signifigance other than the actual, literal dragon similarities?...even considering the psyop campaigns, as well as what was happening domestically..? A message to the hearts and minds perhaps? How far removed really is it from banning vodka? Or dipping bullets in hogfat?

No qualification of the thought is forthcoming.

a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Those are all official nicknames that the military gave them. The F-4 also went by Double Ugly, Snoopy, Rhino, and Phantom. The F-16 is the Fighting Falcon or Falcon, and also the Viper. The F-18 is Hornet and Super Hornet, and also Bug and Rhino. The F-35 is Lightning II, and Panther, although some people are trying to get Battle Penguin to be accepted.

I remember the F-4 from that era as the “rat”.
edit on 4-5-2022 by 1947boomer because: Typo

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Those things just had a grace about them from every angle in every variant produced.

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The first of many types to be converted..C130 is just the latest variant used..

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Cessna 172 SkyChicken

Beech Bonanza doctor killer I
Cirrus SR22 doctor killer II

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 07:53 AM
link   
A-6 Intruder - Tadpole
A-7 Corsair II - SLUFF Whistling Sh*tcan
B-52 - BUFF
F-111 - Aardvark
S-3 Viking - War Hoover
A-3 Skywarrior - Whale
EF-111 Spark Vark

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   
One that I forgot, the F-117. Nighthawk, Wobblin Goblin, and Stinkbug.

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Boeing AV8BII Harrier…Scarier…Lawndart…POS (from the mechanics).

Republic XF-84H Thunderscreech (Real name!)

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 09:46 AM
link   
SH-3H Sea King - War Winnebago
SH-2G Seasprite - Kamen Coffin
CH-46 Sea Knight - Phrog

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 08:13 PM
link   
F-105 = Thunderthud / Leadsled "falling from the sky on a regular basis."

AD Skyraider= Spad (Navy)

WW2 C-46 Commando from the Curtis Novelty Company which had a habit of its gasoline fueled heater exploding.
Flack? No, the heater went again.
edit on 5/6/2022 by pteridine because: clarification

posted on May, 7 2022 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
WW2 C-46 Commando from the Curtis Novelty Company which had a habit of its gasoline fueled heater exploding.

You should have seen the jet fuel heaters on the Sea King helicopters. I called them "car bombs" and I had to maintain them. Crews were afraid to use them.

posted on May, 7 2022 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: pteridine

You should have seen the jet fuel heaters on the Sea King helicopters. I called them "car bombs" and I had to maintain them. Crews were afraid to use them.

We had several WW2 pilots in the family: one European theater (USAAF) and one Pacific (MARCORPS). Many first hand reports that I have kept alive for the family. B-17 35 missions and then Mosquitos on DDAY and Catalinas, F4U, and C46 island hopping. One cousin kept his license up until he passed away; multi-engine, instrument, land and sea.

top topics

join