It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are ibonds a good idea to buy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I was thinking about buying some ibonds next month, but as someone stated as a comment somewhere:
"That’s assuming if the US Dollar survives being the world’s reserve currency this and next year while the Chinese Yuan may replace it as the worlds oil purchase currency. If that happens then other countries will dump the dollar and the “backing of the US Government” will be pretty much worthless. The writing is on the wall already."

Makes me wonder if these are safe to buy?
I already own Vanguard stock, and will buy bitcoin as well.
I rather play it safe off course.

Any ideas ? I have no idea about these things, no one to ask irl.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

I'm 25% cash right now and that may increase closer to 30-40% soon. I haven't owned stock in a couple years though.

I'm assuming these bonds have penalties and a maturity date? If they're pegged to inflation on top of a fixed interest they're probably one of the safer places to be over time. I get very suspicious of fad products when I can't see where the money is coming from though. I can't see it here and it just smells like a future license for them to print even more money.

Safe also isn't always profitable, but keeping up with inflation is your first battle and it's going to be one most people increasingly fail to win in the coming months or (please God NO) years. If they have short maturity dates like CDs you could put some in to just to reassess in 6 months while trying to maintain your purchase power. If they're later maturity you need to determine what you need to keep liquid for emergencies.

Never a bad idea to consult with your retirement provider if it's offered through your job. Some of the deferred comp plans are junk, but you could at least bend their ear. Just remember if they're straight commission-based it often means they're a salesman first and an investment advisor second.

I'm in a fair percentage cash because I expect BTC to reach sub 30k and take most of crypto with it. I don't think mid or even low 20's is completely out of the question. Hard to say and I'm only right until I'm not. I don't see any real signs it's done dropping though and some normally vocal BTC promoter considered "insiders" are selling on the sly.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I rather play it safe off course.

And you're considering Bitcoin or some other crypto currency?

Don't expect earnings, but Gold and silver are the safe bets.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 05:25 PM
link   

The Chinese yuan isn't replacing the USD for most western countries anytime soon. Their real estate market has been flirting with default for months, and lock downs have been setting them back.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The Chinese housing markets are also about to crash, they have similar problems to the US when it comes to economic situations, but at a far greater scale.
They've built entire cities nobody lives in, instead of just vacant buildings.

Either way they're both going to fail, all day systems do. When USD fails most of the world is going with it.

If you've got money to invest, stick with property, guns, ammo, and food.
If you're just looking to reserve wealth, land and silver/ gold are the ticket... Imo.

posted on May, 1 2022 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I will get a container and stock different sizes copper cable as investment

new topics

top topics

join