It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor Showers this week

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This Friday, April 22nd, is the 53rd Earth Day.

It's also my 53rd Birthday. A lot of people ask others to Donate on their Birthday.

I've got something a bit more fun.

The Lyrid meteor shower will light up the night sky this week - peaking on April 21st. Unfortunately, the weather doesn't look good that night for Illinois.

Fortunately, the weather looks fantastic on the following night of the 22nd, with clear skies on Friday night and Saturday being the warmest day of the year so far at over 80 degrees.

The 21st may be the peak, but you can always see meteors before and after the peak days.

The Lyrids' radiant - the point in the sky where the meteors appear to come from -- is the constellation Lyra. Lyra contains the 5th brightest star in the Northern sky - Vega.

The meteors that make up the Lyrids are actually space debris from Comet Thatcher, which was discovered in 1861.

The annual event, which usually occurs during late April, is said to be one of the oldest known meteor showers, with the first recorded sighting dating back to 687 BC, per NASA.

According to NASA, Lyrids are known for their "fast and bright meteors" and can include as many as 100 meteors per hour. Though, on most occasions, only 10 to 20 Lyrid meteors can be seen per hour during their peak.

The American Meteor Society says due to the bright, nearly-full moonrise in the early morning, you might actually be best off watching from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. this year.

You might also get a glimpse of the Eta Aquarids meteor shower that peaks the first week of May.

So go on out and celebrate Earth Day with a Meteor Shower.

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

HAPPY 53RD BIRTHDAY!!!!🎂🎂🎂🎂🍾🥂🍾

edit on 19-4-2022 by Bigburgh because: Lithspy

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
HAPPY 53RD BIRTHDAY!

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Happy 53rd!!!!!
Thanks for the information on the Lyrids. I completely forgot they were coming up, I hope the weather is OK down here to see a few. Fun way to celebrate Earth Day!

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: servovenford
Happy 53rd!!!!!
Thanks for the information on the Lyrids. I completely forgot they were coming up, I hope the weather is OK down here to see a few. Fun way to celebrate Earth Day!

Thanks!

The Weatherman and Mother Nature keep changing the program. Now it looks like Thursday night might be better.
edit on 19-4-2022 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Thank you for the reminder.
And of course happy birthday!
May the sparks fly!

posted on Apr, 20 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
Thank you for the reminder.
And of course happy birthday!
May the sparks fly!

Thanks!