It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA 'Holoported' a Doctor Onto the International Space Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This was interesting:

I have a new noun for your vocabulary: Holoportation.

It's an amalgam of "hologram" and "teleportation," and though it may seem like it, it isn't just a niche sci-fi term buried somewhere in Isaac Asimov novels and Star Trek episodes.

In October, NASA used this mind-boggling, futuristic mechanism to bring NASA flight surgeon Dr. Josef Schmid onto the International Space Station while he was safely planted on our planet. No rockets necessary.

Schmid was joined on this transdimensional journey by Fernando De La Pena Llaca, the CEO of AEXA Aerospace, an organization that helped develop the holoportation equipment, and a few other team members.

www.cnet.com...

The future tech based on this could be amazing.

Imagine walking on mars from your bedroom.

Imagine future iterations of this tech that feel real and can interact as a solid image. You could be at 4 or 5 different locations from your house. Imagine you're at your house and you have 4 or 5 different locations opened in VR and you could switch from location to location with a holo image that feels real.

You could "physically" walk on the beack in the Bahamas then tke a stroll on Mars while sitting in your living room on earth.

It then says:
[quote trimmed]

Interesting tech!
edit on Tue Apr 19 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: added EX TAGS IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I'll stick to walking on a real beach on Lake Superior. I wasn't impressed with swimming at the beach down in Florida on the ocean, If I had seen the piles of little sharks I saw on a dock there before going swimming, I would not have gone swimming. I also saw some jellyfish that looked like those poisonous ones while swimming that day, I was actually pushing one around with my fingers....totally knowledgeable that a Jelly fish could be dangerous. I cannot say for sure it was one of the stinging jellyfish, but then again I was not a threat to it so it probably sensed that.

I'll stick to swimming around here now, nothing here wants to eat you. Although a pike did try to bit a girl I knew who had red painted toenails dangling her feet in the water off a dock back in the late sixties to early seventies...she was squeeling because the fish was trying to bite her toes and I was laughing my ass off....she didn't get too pissed at me for laughing and it never went after my feet at all. We concluded it was after the bright red color or smell of the toenail polish.

I took up the policy, never fish for any fish that can eat you. I don't even want to eat shark or piranhas.

edit on 18-4-2022 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Such fascinating tech, think of all the positive uses for something like this. Space exploration? sounds like the only limitations would be where you can send the mixed reality display/Microsoft's HoloLens or am I not understanding this correctly?

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Such fascinating tech, think of all the positive uses for something like this. Space exploration? sounds like the only limitations would be where you can send the mixed reality display/Microsoft's HoloLens or am I not understanding this correctly?

You're right. You can only be sent where the display is. So you couldn't walk on mars until they sent up a new rover with a dispay on it that can beam your holo image onto mars.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It's holographic projection, not teleportation. Think of it more like R2D2s recording of Leia and less like Star Trek's transporter gizmo. Any halfway credible sci fi nerd knows the difference but evidently not NASA scientists. 🙄

edit on 18-4-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Plus with Lake Superior you don't need an ice chest. Just set your drinks in the water! there still ice too!!

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   

To be honest, we all already have access to a true reality which involves 'holoportation'.. Everyone must have heard of Astral Projection? Well, it's a real ability which enables you to physically travel beyond the confines of your human body. Takes practice, and I'm not sure I would necessarily advise it (I prefer seeking out lucid dreams, which is similar but better, as you are in partial control of the reality you interact with). My lucid dreaming adventures haven't really taken off yet (I've been systematically trying to induce them for a few weeks now, though I eased off the exercises this past week out of frustration at not having had any success as yet). But I know patience is what counts when trying to learn a new skill...

edit on AprilMonday2214CDT05America/Chicago-050037 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment

To be honest, we all already have access to a true reality which involves 'holoportation'.. Everyone must have heard of Astral Projection? Well, it's a real ability which enables you to physically travel beyond the confines of your human body. Takes practice, and I'm not sure I would necessarily advise it (I prefer seeking out lucid dreams, which is similar but better, as you are in partial control of the reality you interact with). My lucid dreaming adventures haven't really taken off yet (I've been systematically trying to induce them for a few weeks now, though I eased off the exercises this past week out of frustration at not having had any success as yet). But I know patience is what counts when trying to learn a new skill...

See how you called it projection and not teleportation? But much like the OP you're still not using the term "physically" correctly because both applications feature a distinct lack of material interaction. Physical means mass and touch.
edit on 18-4-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Good VR can also transport you to different places, although not real time. I remember when I first put my PS4 VR headset on, it was mind blowing. VR is even better now. Riding Roller coasters, deep sea diving, flying over Rome or places like Paris. Simply fantastic.

This is obviously much newer and better tech. Wonder how long until we will be able to bring this tech home, at an affordable price. A decade or more I would guess.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   

You make it sound as if their consciousness is also teleported, as if the hologram is self aware

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
a reply to: rickymouse

Plus with Lake Superior you don't need an ice chest. Just set your drinks in the water! there still ice too!!

Naw, Lake Superior gets nice and warm near shore if it has been calm for a week....if you are lucky enough to get there the last week of July or first week of August and the weather didn't stir up the lake. The rip currents can get bad sometimes, it seems like something got hold of your legs and pulls you down and out to deeper water. Had that happen a few times years ago. Lots of people have experienced that around here.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Did you even read what I said? Do you come on threads just to make up stuff to disagree with people?

When I talked about physically, I said this:

Imagine future iterations of this tech that feel real and can interact as a solid image.

Let me repeat this again:

Imagine future iterations of this tech that feel real and can interact as a solid image.

So in future iterations of this tech your image may be able to feel solid, so "physically" as a solid image you can visit these places from your house.

It's right there in the OP!! Did you even read it before commenting or do you just make it up as you go?
edit on 18-4-2022 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 10:51 PM
link   

That is so Cool.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 11:18 PM
link   
While the technology certainly sounds fascinating I'll stick to real travel.

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I mean, you need to be wearing something like a VR/AR goggles headset to see him. It's not like it was a real holographic projection into air that you could see with your naked eye.

This is the product they were using -- Microsoft HoloLens 2.

VR (or augmented reality you can interface with, Like the HoloLens) is cool and all, and has a lot of potential for future tech, but when people think of "holograms" it's usually a projection in front of them that can be seen with just their eyes. Them calling this a hologram seems to be distorting the common definition of hologram.

edit on 19/4/2022 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Everything about this topic is distorting conventional definitions for sensational journalism. No surprises there.

posted on Apr, 19 2022 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

You said:

VR (or augmented reality you can interface with, Like the HoloLens) is cool and all, and has a lot of potential for future tech, but when people think of "holograms" it's usually a projection in front of them that can be seen with just their eyes. Them calling this a hologram seems to be distorting the common definition of hologram.

What are you debating exactly? I said in the OP:

Future iterations of this tech.

Secondly, who are you, the hologram police?

They're not distorting anything. This technology has been around for awhile and this is just a new iteration of the technology. This is what happens with tech. The article says:

Though nearly unbelievable, holoportation isn't a totally new technology. Microsoft came up with the idea several years ago, but with the primary intention of revolutionizing sectors like advertising, terrestrial hospital care and education and has since been steadily developing the concept. But NASA's recent endeavor took the feat to the next level.

This is the first time such virtual transportation has successfully brought people beyond planet Earth.

Here's how everything went down.

Basically, high-quality 3D models of the holoporters were developed, digitally compressed, transmitted and reconstructed in the spaceborne lab -- all in real time.

Meanwhile, a mixed reality display aboard the ISS, namely Microsoft's HoloLens, allowed both the holoporters and astronauts to see, hear and interact with one another as though they were in the same physical space. Astronaut Thomas Pesquet, for instance, had a two-way conversation with Schmid and De La Pena right in the middle of the ISS despite being miles upon miles away from the holoporters.

The trio even holographically shook hands.

www.cnet.com...

It's funny how some people on this board act like these things are nothing from the comfort of their keyboard. These scientist are putting in work that may lead to some amazing uses for this tech.

Imagine if they were the hologram police and said, we can't work on this tech because it's not the common definition of a hologram. LOL, are you serious?

top topics

join