It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI-24 taken out with stinger

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have a question:

on what basis is this helicopter considered Russian?

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: turretless

the fact Ukrainians shot it down would be a pretty big clue about it being russian

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: noscopebacon

From the first video, it’s not clear to me who shot it down and over which country it flew.

Your video doesn't explain the first video anyway.

We read under the first video: "We were working on an extensive analysis of a battle that was recorded in Kherson."

Under your video we read: "This is the moment a Russian jet was shot down over Kharkiv city"

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Where can I find the shadow of this flying helicopter?

(This is another thing that worries me)

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I just hope Ukraine gets the polish migs.
The first thing Poland did after joining NATO was to fit their migs for aim-9 sidewinder missiles.

That will be a big surprise for the Russian pilots, as US sidewinders can hit them head on.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 08:00 PM
link   

A stinger is a heat seeker,and would have to be fired at a slow moving cruise missile FROM BEHIND to even have a 1 percent chance of knocking it down. In short the chances are so high its almost impossible. A head on shot is not possible with a stinger on a missile.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

A stinger is a heat seeker,and would have to be fired at a slow moving cruise missile FROM BEHIND to even have a 1 percent chance of knocking it down. In short the chances are so high its almost impossible. A head on shot is not possible with a stinger on a missile.

While that's normally true, I've seen full speed videos of some kind ancient slow & low cruise missiles flying over Ukraine.

Big bulky things.

No idea what they are, but I can see a well timed Stinger taking these down occasionally.

They actually look and sound a 'little' like a V1.

Maybe Zaphod can identify them?

edit on 6-3-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

well with supersonic and sea skimming missiles of any kind they nose would be lit up like times square in IR

the heat generated from pushing all the thick sea air out of the war would have to heat up parts of the missiles enough for a lock on.

than again i don't know the thresholds for what is and isn't a lock on as far as the system inside the stinger goes.

also US ships usually travel in groups so one boat might see it coming head on when another can get a read side shot but than again it might lock onto something on the boat and for obvious reasons that's no good.

Patriotgames:

i have seen them as well i think they are going that slow because they are in their terminal phase, usually they are already on the way down to the target, you would have such a small window but there would still be a window.

i have had the occasion to look at a EO system on an aircraft and their IR sensors are very very high resolution i asked if a real visible image was laid onto of the IR and they said no.

one time with a group of forward observers we were kitted out with some very fancy optics, i don't know if they are still classified as far as their resolution and what spectrums they picked up but the bombs always hit right on the dot.

and that was years and years ago so i imagine they have only gotten better and better.

what we were using looked like a big spotting scope with a germanium lens and some normal glass ones and a few other ones that were not visual spectrum stuff and a laser/encoder

we could lase target well across a valley and see like we were right up in the area night or day, i remember being able to have IR and optical on at the same time to help make a better ID on certain objects.

i don't think it is a coincidence a lot of newer missiles are going to UV instead of IR as well as millimeter wave seekers.

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 10:23 PM
link   
originally posted by: noscopebacon

They could very well be in terminal phase, I'm really only even familiar with a few things my employer produces, and nowhere near an expert even on them (I work in I.T., supporting engineering teams).

At least one of the videos I was referring to still appeared to be under full power at the time, but like I said, I don't really know anything about them.

Thanks for the info Bacon!

posted on Mar, 6 2022 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: PatriotGames4u

do you happen to remember where you saw it or the clip, i am wondering if we are talking about different things.

you said it looked like a V-1, like the buzz bomb right and not the V2 rocket.

i was thinking of the Russians Kaliber cruise missiles and that really doesnt look like a V-1.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join