It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best by dates don't mean much

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

High potassium does not cause a heart attack. Your heart just stops without warning. That's much worse to deal with than a heart attack.

I switched to mostly popcorn for snacks. Keeps forever and I pop it dry in the microwave. I add spices to make it flavored but nothing like the junk they put in the pre poped or oiled flavoring stuff.

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: coamanach

If you can, you should use the freshest produce you can acquire.

My parents were big on canning dill pickles.
They'd go to the Farmer's Market during the summer....and not always get there early. Produce was sitting in warm conditions, and may not have been picked that day. Their pickles, properly canned, were still going soft.
Finally figured they had cukes that were not fresh enough and started to grow their own. Problem disappeared.

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I don't have access to land, but the way my home is built, we are daily bathing in the sun. We have been thinking and looking into growing some food indoors and on the balcony.

I grew up surrounded by farms and the strawberries we found in the wild! I miss eating all those vegetables and fruits right from the plants. I can still remember the tastes.

I already do sous-vide bags, but I want to prepare other things more complex.

I really need to get into it, lol

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

I wonder if the "cheese" slices "taste fine" due to them being fake cheese aka American cheese? With the "more" real cheese, I find the dates are accurate. Though once opened the cheese can go bad even before the date.

Someone else said they measure the nutritional content up to that best by date, I had heard it's also bacterial content and so on. As far as honey or other such things that can last over 2 years - I heard it's some government thing they're not allowed to say it's better than 2 years even if it is. Don't quote me but I believe New Jersey is involved.

The person I live with has an iron stomach. I've gotten sick and they were fine. I have gotten sick from eggs? That were less than a week past the date. It could have been something else maybe "covid" but it was not something I want to feel again. That I do know. Like being hungover but for 2 or 3 days.

Bread in the freezer is great though, Best to have a chest freezer, A fridge+freezer can give the bread that "funky" taste. I wrap mine in plastic then tinfoil, place into a ziplock.

Nice to see people talking about how sour cream changes.
edit on 11-2-2022 by FisheatsFish because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2022 by FisheatsFish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FisheatsFish

I hate that stale smell.
I was even getting them on icecubes.
I bought these Odor Eliminators
Turns out they work!!!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
a reply to: rickymouse

High potassium does not cause a heart attack. Your heart just stops without warning. That's much worse to deal with than a heart attack.

I switched to mostly popcorn for snacks. Keeps forever and I pop it dry in the microwave. I add spices to make it flavored but nothing like the junk they put in the pre poped or oiled flavoring stuff.

Wouldn't it still be considered a heart attack if your heart just stopped? The doctors years ago didn't used to say what medical name of the heart failure was, they just told the relatives it was a heart attack. There must be twenty different kinds of heart conditions that cause death these days, seems to me a heart attack is a general statement, I doubt if it is even a legit medical term anymore. AFIB even leads to a heart attack usually I thought,

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
a reply to: infolurker

Smelled and tasted fine, I think the soybean oil goes bad but it was not a pleasant experience.

That's not fair. You can't just end it on that note. You've made me far too curious. I'm assuming it didn't become unpleasant until it's eventual exit, but I'm still unsure which route it took. How long before it turned unpleasant? and was that particular can your first suspect, or did it take a bit of investigation before you reached that conclusion?

Smelled and tasted fine. Took about 10 mins after eating to violently vomit it all back up. That is when it became very unpleasant. It was pretty fast and furious.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

That's probably the better option, out of the 2 possible scenarios I was considering. The other route would've probably been just as furious, but much longer lasting....

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The senses are the best tools for telling you if something is good or spoiled. Look smell taste.

Supermarkets throw away food everyday that is perfectly fine.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

The senses are the best tools for telling you if something is good or spoiled. Look smell taste.

Except those 3 don't always work the same for everybody. Some people's senses just aren't as good as other's.

I don't trust my nose at all. Could be from tobacco. Could be from one of the times it's been broken. I really don't know. I just know that my sense of smell doesn't seem to work as good as most other peoples. That is not always a bad thing either.

The only time it ever bothers me is in this specific situation, when I try to smell food to determine whether or not it's any good. Sometimes I can't tell, but then I hand it to someone else and they might be able to immediately know that it's bad. I don't want to wait until I taste it to find out, so I'll take their word for it. Or my cat. His reaction says a lot.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

That's right, I agree. Was not thinking about people like smokers, another example would medication like antibiotics and similar.

Messed up this one, had the reply sitting in a tab, probably for hours. Now I remember I wanted to write about white bread and mold, where this did not work for me and since then I am more careful.

Passed all tests above, ate two slices, cleaned up kitchen, next slice tips over when I wanted to store it away and presents a few tiny specks of mold.

One counter example, sour dough starter batch, if it get's too old and no feeding, the water separates and darkens, it looks terrible and not yummy at all. But if it does only smell sour, it's okay. It's fermented, that can throw us off sometimes.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FisheatsFish

Nope real cheese. I never buy the processed American 'cheese' slices. It's usually Gouda or such

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: coamanach
a reply to: Gothmog

a reply to: nugget1

I think the only thing really stopping me is the "fear" of messing the sterilization process.

I'ts been bugging me for a while, but I feel it's now or never. I should stop procrastinating on that, meh!

Yes.
Just as in anything else mistakes will be made .

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: Gothmog
Look at honey .
The "best by date" is set for 2 years .
Stored properly you could open a jar 100 years from now and eat it .

Not everything.

I grabbed a can from the pantry that I guess was there in the back for years. Cream of Chicken soup that had expired in 2017. Of course I had no idea that it had expired that long ago until after I heaved it up and looked at the can.

Smelled and tasted fine, I think the soybean oil goes bad but it was not a pleasant experience.

My post was just about honey .
Stuff in cans expire .
Even down to cans popping .
Be thankful that didn't happen in your case .

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I'm sure I've eaten frozen foods expired by months in the past which was fine as well.

You're maybe conflating and confusing Best Before End and Use By dates.

Biiiig difference.

Best Before End take with a pinch of salt.

Use By, very inadvisable to ignore.

For reasons I would have thought were obvious.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join